Sewing garments totally by hand?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have any of you been without a sewing machine, or just have an urge to make actual wearable daily type clothing using nothing but your hands, needle and thread. No sewing machine type help?

I did it once as I didn't have a sewing machine with me, and I had to sew to stay sane. (sewing has a calming effect on me).

It was a fitted bodice, long straight sleeves, gathered skirt with a ruffle on the bottom. Ended up being about calf length. That was a pretty dress. I only wore it a time or two before I gave it to a friend that really loved it.

So, have you done that type of sewing and could you still do it?

I'm thinking should power grid go for a long time and you don't have a manual sewing machine. Or if you just need to sew and no sewing machine handy.

I watched my mother & older sister pin & cut out patterns, then make clothes.
But I have never done it myself.
I have hand sewed about 6 inch tear, small tight stitches by hand.
A whole shirt would drive me up the wall, but I think I could learn.
This is harder than throwing a tree, limbing it & cut it into fire wood.
Maybe less danger, but harder, it is a mental thing.

When I first learned to sew from my grandma it was hand sewing of course. As soon as I could prove that I could thread my own needle. :) She made all of her own clothes so when she gave me her scraps and I wanted to sew clothes for my dolls she taught me about making patterns, setting in sleeves, waist bands, dress backs (with eye hooks) etc. I sewed all the clothes by hand. I could sew grown up clothes by hand if I had too but with my worsening arthritis it would take me awhile and the stitching wouldn't look too good. :)

Latest posts

Back