1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Shade Cloth

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Peanut, Oct 11, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 11, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Shade cloth is a UV shield for plants. It comes in any amount of protection, 10% to 90%. It also comes in a multitude of sizes, width, length or by the foot! It comes in several colors, white, black… green etc.

There are a host of retailers who sell it, Green house & nursery suppliers, farm stores like Tractor Sup, even amazon as a boat load of it. It can be ordered from lowes.

Uses – my example – My house faces south, the porch is a concrete slab, front – brick. Any plants I grow on my porch literally bake in august heat during an Alabama summer.

I bought a shade cloth roll 20ft X 6.5ft with 50% UV protection. I have a very small chain running between supports for the upper deck (duplex). The cloth comes with plastic grommets. I hung my shade cloth from the chain.

It has preformed remarkably. It’s stood up to storms, rain, wind and the sun. My plants have done remarkably well also. They are still growing, pepper plants still producing peppers. Usually everything would have been dead by the end of August. Also, it blocks enough UV rays to make sitting on my porch more comfortable on sunny days.

I highly recommend this product. If the sun is an issue for your plants or you want to spend a little more time on the porch.

UV Screen (1)_v1.jpg UV Screen (2)_v1.jpg UV Screen (3)_v1.jpg

2. Oct 11, 2019 #2

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Good idea, Peanut. I also use it for the tops of my fowl runs. Provides shade, and protection from the hawks and owls that swoop.

Patchouli, joel, Terri9630 and 5 others like this.
  3. Oct 11, 2019 #3

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

The sun is intense in Colorado. I am always looking for shade. It looks like it can provide some privacy as well. Thank you.

Meerkat, Bacpacker, Caribou and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 11, 2019 #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I was just thinking the same thing.

5. Oct 11, 2019 #5

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

The cloth I have at 50% uv protection doesn't offer very much privacy. The highway is about 60yds away. I thought about standing a scantily clad female mannequin on the porch just to see how many guys drove onto the shoulder of the road while passing. :D (it can get boring out here in rural america)

Maybe you can find pictures on the net of 80 or 90% uv protection to get an idea how much privacy that provides...

Anyway, the price is low... I think I paid about $15 for a 20ft roll. The shipping was about $10, so about $25 total. Considering how well it preformed thats very cheap. Another couple of weeks and I'll roll it up for storage until next year.

Patchouli, Meerkat, Terri9630 and 4 others like this.
  6. Oct 13, 2019 #6

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

We use shade cloth on our garden down in the desert. It allows the potatoes to survive and keeps the tomatoes from getting sun scald.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Patchouli, Bacpacker, Peanut and 3 others like this.
  7. Oct 14, 2019 #7

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patriot Neighbor HCL Supporter

Great idea, @Peanut . Give her a sun hat, sunglasses, change of clothing, move her to other locations; heck, if she's that movable you can have her weeding the garden. Add a friend or two.

Meerkat, Terri9630, Bacpacker and 2 others like this.