Shallow well poor recovery rate

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chwkrx7

Friend
Neighbor
We have a 1977 built home that is supplied water from a shallow well adjacent to a large pond. The pond appears (as I've been told) to be spring-fed as the water level seems steady even when it hasn't rained for weeks. The "well" is a vertical corrugated pipe, about three feet across and 15 feet deep, with a 240V submersible pump suspended near the bottom, about 80 feet from the pond. It looks like the ground from the pond to the well was dug up many years ago, as there is a slight dip in it

We bought in summer of 2021 and first ran out of water that winter. I augered a hole in the pond ice and found lots of water, so I used a pump to fill the well back up. We had to do that three times that winter and twice last winter. We didn't have a problem those first two summers. However, this year we've had it twice now that the well ran dry, despite the pond water level still being high. Last night it ran out again, and the well only recovered 5" from midnight to 8 am this morning.

I suspect over the years that either the "channel" from the pond to the well, or the bottom of the well itself has become plugged up with sediment/leaves/debris. I'm not sure how the water "enters" the pipe either.

I could maybe try filling the well right to the top and maintaining the water level there for several days to try "backflush" it, but I'm not sure how effective that would be given that normal water level in the well is usually only about 3' from the top anyway. I'm looking for any ides to improve this situation. Thanks!

WellDiagaram.jpg

I'm guessing the pond has a clay base that prevents the water from soaking into the ground, and your well may be tapped into the regular ground water level. The dry weather has probably lowered the water table. You could try digging out the bottom of the well and make it deeper.

Another possibility is that there is an old pipe or tile line from the pond to the well that has become plugged or has deteriorated and collapsed. That would explain the evidence of an old dig line from the pond to the well.

I'm guessing the pond has a clay base that prevents the water from soaking into the ground, and your well may be tapped into the regular ground water level. The dry weather has probably lowered the water table. You could try digging out the bottom of the well and make it deeper.

Another possibility is that there is an old pipe or tile line from the pond to the well that has become plugged or has deteriorated and collapsed. That would explain the evidence of an old dig line from the pond to the well.
:I agree:

We have another well thread or two that might help! :)
And HOWDY from North Georgia!

Yeah, we've had really dry weather all summer. I think at one point it was a french drain, but over time that has plugged up and my well is now more dependent on the water table than anything else.

@chwkrx7
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. We have an introductions thread if you want to tell us a little about yourself or your general area.
Thanks! I'll do that

We have another well thread or two that might help! :)
And HOWDY from North Georgia!
Haha yeah I found this forum by searching for well-related topics. Thanks!

I just ran across this video and this seems to be an okay place to park this. It is not appropriate for either of my places as one is on bedrock and the other has rock of all sizes from glacial deposits. Plus the water is 110'+ down. Others here may have an appropriate situation. 40 min.

Latest posts

Back