She was the best

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My mother that is,
Just lost my mom this year..
Sure do miss her, was just thinking about eating over at her house ...
FB_IMG_1578264713882.jpg

Fried squirrel, gravy and biscuits.

I sure miss my mom.

I'll probably think of something else that she did so special

How bout your mom, even if you still have her.

Jim

My mother that is,
Just lost my mom this year..
Sure do miss her, was just thinking about eating over at her house ...
View attachment 32422

Fried squirrel, gravy and biscuits.

I sure miss my mom.

I'll probably think of something else that she did so special

How bout your mom, even if you still have her.

Jim

Jim hubbys mom made " squrrel perlow " is the way I can spell it.He mises her too but they ate all kinds of wildlife. She would cook the birds hubby shot and cleaned. She just passed 3 years ago .

Mine passed in 1988. She was born and raised in the city 'a city slicker'. But once she married they bought 100 acrea in Stone Mountain Ga.. She turned country except for hunting. That part of city stayed with her.She was a compassionate person. She left judgement up to God unless pushed. She helped many people in times when most would not ask because back then the worse thing you could was beg. She too was a great cook. I still listen to some classical music because she was a great pianist. she would play all kinds of music. At one point she performed in night clubs in the late 1930s for a short time then married and had kids.
If you wanted a switching say Gods name in vain or call somebody slang,like N word was not allowed in her house or her parents house.
First3 years I'd reach for the phone to call her and realize she was gone,a lonely feeling.

My mom turns 93 this January (I think).
I called her this Christmas and she said she hadn't heard from me and asked if I had fallen in a hole:eek:.
I'm 63... and my mom still hands me an
assspank.gif
:D.

My mom was something else! 5'10". Daughter of a lawman. She knew how to point a shotgun at trespassers.
She cooked all kinds of stuff, I inherited her recipes and can't single out any one thing...crab cakes, shrimp, gazpacho, wheat rolls; Thanksgiving dinner was always excellent. She's been gone 23 years.

I Thank God everyday I still have my mom around. Try and talk to her at least every other day. She has slowed down a lot, bad back and neck, Asthma, and some level of vertigo. But she still pushes as much as she can. I don't even know where to start with food shes made for me. Chicken and dumplins, dressing, blueberry salad, Mandrian Orange cake, all kinds of pies and cakes. Too much to list.
My prayers are with you all who have lost your's over the years.

I Thank God everyday I still have my mom around. Try and talk to her at least every other day. She has slowed down a lot, bad back and neck, Asthma, and some level of vertigo. But she still pushes as much as she can. I don't even know where to start with food shes made for me. Chicken and dumplins, dressing, blueberry salad, Mandrian Orange cake, all kinds of pies and cakes. Too much to list.
My prayers are with you all who have lost your's over the years.
It was a hard thing, @Bacpacker
Thank you. Some of my kids didn't know her.
I hope you get your mom's recipes. They sound scrumptious. My mom made dumplings too. She was also artistic and had a green thumb.

Hubby said " sorry to hear that".:LOL:
I said " my moms either ":D
It's ok.
My mom made up for y'alls by cooking every squirrel us 5 brothers shot, brought home and cleaned.
Squirrel and white gravy covered by biscuits, fried squirrel, squirrel and dumplings, barbecue squirrel... just to name a few.
If you added all those up, they would fill a dump-truck.:D

Then you add to that all the
rabbits,
doves,
quail,
ducks,
and deer.
She could have kept a platoon fed:).

It's ok.
My mom made up for y'alls by cooking every squirrel us 5 brothers shot, brought home and cleaned.
Squirrel and white gravy covered by biscuits, fried squirrel, squirrel and dumplings, barbecue squirrel... just to name a few.
If you added all those up, they would fill a dump-truck.:D

Then you add to that all the
rabbits,
doves,
quail,
ducks,
and deer.
She could have kept a platoon fed:).

I did 'nt make myself clear SuperV, hubby ate all those varmits his mom cooked lots of squirrel mine on the other hand mama thought all meat came from the butcher or grocer.
Visting hubbys parents I was always wondering what was on his mothers menu.

I did 'nt make myself clear SuperV, hubby ate all those varmits his mom cooked lots of squirrel mine on the other hand mama thought all meat came from the butcher or grocer.
Visting hubbys parents I was always wondering what was on his mothers menu.
lol.gif
I remember coming in starving to death and asking my mom what was for supper.
"Barbecue!" was her answer.
I said: "barbecue pork or beef?" :woo hoo:
Her reply: "Barbecue meat!"
It was fantastic.
We never asked where the weird creatures went that we shot like that huge owl or those monster coons, but they went to supper:eek:.
She could cook anything and make it taste great.:)

View attachment 32427I remember coming in starving to death and asking my mom what was for supper.
"Barbecue!" was her answer.
I said: "barbecue pork or beef?" :woo hoo:
Her reply: "Barbecue meat!"
It was fantastic.
We never asked where the weird creatures went that we shot like that huge owl or those monster coons, but they went to supper:eek:.
She could cook anything and make it taste great.:)

SuperV I feel we will be wanting all those kind of women we can get fairly soon too.

Hubby would say my mom makes the best biscuits and gravy. I say spiced sugar walnuts or thurenger (like a dry salami.)
@Supervisor42 that reminds me of when my son was little. We were eating and he asked what it was. I responded vendalhaus which is a Portuguese marinate. He said But what is it? so I repeated adding It's Portuguese. He looked confused and said Poor chickies? I didn't realize he was asking what kind of meat it was. He knew what vendalhaus was. So that's now a joke. Also, if they ever asked what was for supper, there were only two answers: opossums innards and collard greens or Mama surprise.

My Mom passed away about 12 years ago. Many fond memories. My sister and I are quite close. We both have a good laugh when we say something we heard from Mom. To fill in the blank on Jim's poster: Lasagna. My Mom made the best lasagna on the planet. I have had it in dozens or restaurants, and none of them come close. It was to die for. To this day when I hear the Ave Maria it brings tears to my eyes. I know she is sitting at the right hand of God.

First my deepest condolences for those of you who have lost their mothers. I cannot image the toll that must have taken on you and the loss you must continue to feel.

My mother is 72 years old and is still running around like she is 32. She is the definition of work ethic and never seems to run out of drive. She was an LEO for several years, but eventually went back to school and became a nurse as she did not want her kids to have two parents in high risk jobs. She was a strict but loving mother who demanded we all know how to cook, clean, sew, budget, and numerous other skills we would need in life. And did I mention she was strict? ;) I could not even guess how many times that woman slapped my head or hands. Rest assured I deserved it each and every time. But she also knew when I needed a soft word and gave me a lot of great advice over the years, especially in the ways of the heart.

She made so many amazing dishes I don't even know where to start. Her chocolate cake and her potato salad are legendary, so much so she refuses to write down the recipe and would not even teach my sisters (or my wife) how to make them until they 'earned it'. But the dish she made that I always loved as a child was creamed peas & potatoes with a pan seared pork chop on the side. To this day I refuse to make it at home or have my wife make it. I only want to have it when my Mom makes it.

Love yall's post here.

I just was thinking again about one thing , I've not had in many years, as my mom spent the last 7 years in a nursing home,
She made a sweet potato dish with chopped pecans and mini marshmallows, some kind of syrup...that was just incredible.

WOW..

Jim

I wonder if the sweet potatoes were whipped, so it was not exactly, but similar to mashed potatoes?

Love yall's post here.

I just was thinking again about one thing , I've not had in many years, as my mom spent the last 7 years in a nursing home,
She made a sweet potato dish with chopped pecans and mini marshmallows, some kind of syrup...that was just incredible.

WOW..

Jim

Mama made the best ,what we called down here' candied yams'. She would make the syrup from brown sugar but I have never been able to make them exactly like hers. I did pretty much get her cornbread dressing down I guess since everyone wants me to make the dressing.

Mom made a pie she called it an Egg pie.
OMG that thing would just melt in your mouth...so good.

It was like a custard coconut pie without the coconut. She learned from my Gramma, which I remember.

I'd give $100 for one.

I miss you mama.

Jim

Egg custard pie, usually with a touch of nutmeg on the top? That was my Dad's favorite pie.

Love yall's post here.

WOW..

Jim

I think brown sugar and butter when the sweet taters are cooking, with the chopped pecans and topped with mini marshmallows. Mom use to make the same yummy dish.

You guys are lucky, even the ones who have passed. My mom was a piece of **** that abandoned us for a penis. She is/was a very selfish woman. She might still be alive but I don't know.

But it turned out for the better, my grand mothers were wonderful. I even knew one great grandmother. On my mom's side they were city slickers except for my great grandmother. She crossed the country in 1899 in a covered wagon.

On my dad's side that lady was a saint with a correctional cook spoon. She could grow watermelon in a desert. We either canned or froze everything from corn to raspberries. Nobody ever left her house hungry and with extra for home. Could be anything from leftovers to frozen steaks.

This was back when you paid long distance for calls. I talked to them once a week. I really miss those ladies.

As for a favorite dish, I would have to say horseradish soup.

Latest posts

Back