Sheep Sorrel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sheep Sorrel aka Rumex acetosella

It’s related to the other edible Rumex plants, namely the Docks, curly dock for example.

It has a history in herbal medicine that is for lack of a better term, fuzzy! Writers like John Gerard in 1597 and John Quincy in 1719 both make mention of it but lump it with several other unrelated “Sorrels” like Wood Sorrel (Oxalis stricta). Both have “cooling and drying” properties. They have been used to treat fever and skin cancers. I know of no one who uses either plant in appalachian folk medicine. The late great Tommie Bass was aware of these treatments but did not use them.

But Sheep Sorrel as an edible… it’s yummy! In north america it grows just about everywhere south of the artic circle. Originally it came from Eurasia and the British Isles with early settlers. It’s a common early spring sight in fields. I’ve seen patches of it 100rds of acres is size… See photo’s below.

Sheep Sorrel is high in oxalic acid. Many other yummy greens and leaves are high in oxalates… Like Spinach, Rhubarb, Swiss Chard, Beet leaves, Black tea & Cocoa. These wild greens also are high in oxalic acid, Wild spinach, wood sorrel, purslane and the docks.

To this very day oxalic acid is mentioned in plant literature as poisonous despite the fact there has never been a single case reported of a human being poisoned by oxalic acid, anywhere, in all of recorded history.

In literature this misconception began in 1964 in the book “Poisonous Plants of the United States and Canada” by a putz named John Kingsbury. The book is primarily a review of animal research.

In the years since there have been many targeted studies into oxalates. Not one of them found anything to be concerned about. Yet I keep seeing the words "Oxalates" and "Poison" linked together.

To be fair the rumor of oxalates being poisonous go back further than Kingsbury. In WW2 a rumor circulated that people eating rhubarb leaves were poisoned by the oxalates. Rhubarb stalks, the part we do eat, contain the same amount of oxalates. Too funny… Spinach contains 30% more oxalates than rhubarb!

Hold the Presses! Spinach Quiche is killing people right and left! I guess now we all know how Popeye died!:rolleyes:

Sheep Sorrel leaves are a pleasant trail munchie, it’s also a great addition to a salad. I’ve had leaves both ways. It has a sour, almost vinegar like taste.

The best reference book I have on this and other wild edibles is Edible Wild Plants wild food from dirt to plate by John Kalas, PhD. Samual Thayer’s books are also excellent. I have two of his. The books of Kalas and Thayer both contain several recipes for sheep sorrel.

Some pic’s of Sheep Sorrel… 1&2 the red tops are the stalks of sheep sorrel. Pic 3&4 In the distance you can see large patches of sheep sorrel, especially near the two large trees. It’s very easy to see.

Sheep Sorrel (1).JPG
Sheep Sorrel (4).JPG
Sheep Sorrel (6).JPG
Sheep Sorrel (8).JPG

Last edited:
Oxalic acid in its chemical state is used to clean stained wood and straw - like straw hats. It is poisonous in that form and is a caustic substance. It has been known to cause renal failure, burns in the mouth, throat and pulmonary systems.
Whether it is dangerous in plant form would depend on the strength and quantity in the plant.
From the US National Library of Medicine:
Oxalic acid poisoning
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Oxalic acid is a poisonous, colorless substance. It is chemical known as a caustic. If it contacts tissues, it can cause injury.
This article discusses poisoning from swallowing oxalic acid.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
Poisonous Ingredient
Oxalic acid

This is of interest about the oxalic acid.
Memory escapes me again but I'll see what I can find in my herb books at some point today.
Oxalic acid is present when spinach is cooked, but not raw. I rarely eat cooked spinach now. Love it raw.

That time of year again... sheep sorrel is everywhere.

Saw this in a cousin's hayfield this week. The red is the seed stalks. I might break one off and chew on it, tastes like sour apples.

The time to harvest the leaves is before the seed stalk puts up. Dr. J. Kallas wrote a great book on wild edibles I put in the library. "Edible Wild Plants". It goes into detail about leaf prep. Basically used in salads and in stews.

It's not overly nutritious and this time of year there are several other wild plants rich in nutrients (corn salad being one). So I just nibble on sheep sorrel occasionally.

Sheep Sorrel 3a .JPG
Sheep Sorrel 4a .JPG

Last edited:

Attachments

• Sheeps-Sorrel-1.jpg
    Sheeps-Sorrel-1.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 3
Back