Ship Hull markings, signs/symbols on the sides of ships

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I stumbled across this article about ships. Thought I'd put this here, nothing too technical but still educational. I know some folks don't follow links. My hats off to the folks who wrote this...
----------------------------------

Bp1 a.jpg

Not many people have an opportunity to get this close to a container ship. Those who do may see icons that impart important information. For example, those black brackets to the right of the company name indicate where the tugboat is supposed to push. Photo by David Webster Smith

The Secret Language of Ships

Signs and symbols on the sides of ships tell stories about an industry few outsiders understand.

Credits
Text by Erin Van Rheenen
Photos by David Webster Smith
April 10, 2018 | 1,700 words, about 8 minutes

Approaching the container ship in San Francisco Bay, the tugboat looks like a pit bull puppy chasing an eighteen-wheeler. When the vessels are an arm’s length apart, the ship’s mate throws down a line. Now leashed to the ship, the tug can push and pull it around the bay. Big ships can’t easily slow down or maneuver by themselves—they’re meant for going in a straight line.

Tugboat crews routinely encounter what few of us will ever see. They easily read a vessel’s size, shape, function, and features, while deciphering at a glance the mysterious numbers, letters, and symbols on a ship’s hull. To non-mariners, the markings look like hieroglyphs. For those in the know, they speak volumes about a particular ship and also about the shipping industry.

Oceangoing vessels carry over 80 percent of the world’s trade, with more than 90,000 merchant ships plying international waters. Tankers, bulk carriers, and container ships—the largest things on Earth that move—are by far the most important modes of transportation of our time. They convey billions of tonnes of goods every year, bringing us everything from cars to crude oil to containers jammed with fidget spinners.

Those who work in ports or on the water have a good view of the proceedings; tugs may have the best view of all. These photos get you closer to ships than most people will ever be.

“The sides of ships have their own sort of beauty,” says photographer David Webster Smith, who is also a San Francisco tugboat engineer. “As soon as I can, I get my camera out.”

Bp2  a.jpg

Most ships have clues to their identity emblazoned on their stern, often in the same order: owner, name, port (or “flag”), and International Maritime Organization (IMO) number. American President Lines (APL) owns this ship, christened the Mexico City, and it sails under the flag of Singapore.

The owner, name, and flag may change over a ship’s lifespan, but the IMO number stays the same as mandated by an international maritime treaty. Like vehicle identification numbers, IMOs help thwart fraud. Do a web search on an IMO number and the ship’s full history pops up.

Curious about those yellow-green, fortune-cookie-shaped objects along the lines? They’re anti-rat devices, foiling rodent attempts to scrabble from dock to line to ship.

Bp3 a.jpg

Why would a ship owned by a South Korean company (Hanjin) list its port as Panama?

More than 70 percent of the world’s commercial ships sail under what’s called a “flag of convenience.” This means that the ship is registered in a foreign country and sails under that country’s flag, usually to reduce operating costs, sidestep taxes, or avoid the stricter safety standards of the owner’s country.

By far the most popular flag of convenience is Panama, with Liberia and the Marshall Islands fast gaining ground. For these countries, the fees companies pay to fly their flags are a significant source of revenue.

There’s another thing about this ship worth mentioning. See the crew members up on deck, at the far left and right of the photo? They’re actually dummies dressed as mariners, meant to fool pirates into thinking someone is always on watch.

Bp4 a.jpg

These marks, called load lines, show the maximum load a ship can carry.

Load lines owe much to a British member of Parliament named Samuel Plimsoll. Worried about the loss of ships and crew members due to overloading, he sponsored a bill in 1876 that made it mandatory to have marks on both sides of a ship. If a ship is overloaded, the marks disappear underwater. The original “Plimsoll line” was a circle with a horizontal line through it. The symbol spread around the world; additional marks were added over the years.

The letters on either side of the circle stand for the ship’s registration authority. AB is the American Bureau of Shipping, one of 12 members of the International Association of Classification Societies, which sets and maintains safety standards for more than 90 percent of the world’s cargo ships.

The marks and letters to the right of the circle indicate maximum loads under different climatic conditions. Salt water is denser than fresh, cold water denser than warm. Since water density affects ship buoyancy, different conditions call for different load lines.

W marks the maximum load in winter temperate seawater, S in summer temperate seawater, T in tropical seawater, F in fresh water, and TF in tropical fresh water, like that of the Amazon River.

Bp5 a.jpg

This ship is equipped with what’s called a bulbous bow, a protrusion low on the bow. Contrary to its ungainly appearance, the bulb actually reduces drag, increasing speed and fuel efficiency.

The white symbol that looks like the numeral five without the top line alerts tugboats to the presence of the bulb, which under certain conditions may be entirely underwater. Tugs need to be aware of the protuberance to avoid running it over as they maneuver around the ship, possibly damaging both the bulb and the tug.

The white circle with an X inside signals the presence of a bow thruster, a propulsion device that helps the boat maneuver sideways, a boon for getting on and off docks.

Bp6 a.jpg

The numbers arranged in a vertical line—called draft marks—measure the distance between the bottom of the hull (the keel) and the waterline. If the water comes up to the 10-meter line, for example, that means 10 meters of the ship is underwater.

Where the water hits the draft lines tells sailors if the ship is overloaded, and—when compared to the reading on the opposite side of the boat—if it’s listing to one side.

To the left of the draft lines are different versions of the bulbous bow and bow thruster symbols. BT|FP tells you the position of the bow thruster: between the ballast tank (BT) and the forepeak (FP), the forward most part of the ship. It’s important for a tugboat operator to know the location of the bow thruster, as it creates turbulence that the tug would rather avoid.

Next

Last edited:
Bp7 a.jpg

Two tugboats approach an oil tanker near the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. This photo is taken from a third tug that’s moving in on the ship, guided by white arrows pointing to “chocks” that house small but strong posts called “bitts.” The tug fastens lines to these bitts.

SWL 50t means that the safe working load for each bitt is 50 tonnes. Once the tug has fastened a line to the bitt, it will exert no more than 50 tonnes of pulling pressure as it helps the ship brake or negotiate docking.

Bp8 a.jpg

Are these bird cubbies, rusting in the sea air? Not quite. The cavities are, however, known as pigeonholes. They’re part of an in-hull ladder that allows mariners to climb up the side of a barge. Unlike cargo ships, flat-bottom barges are not self-propelled. They’re usually towed or pushed by tugboats, though in the early days they were hauled up rivers and canals by horses, mules, or donkeys on an adjacent towpath. Though barges are often unstaffed, they occasionally must be boarded, for instance when a line needs to be thrown down to a dockworker. Pigeonholes give the boarders a leg up.

Bp9 a.jpg

A ship’s paint job isn’t primarily about aesthetics or branding. When you see this two-toned effect, the paint closer to the waterline is often of a different chemical composition, one that holds up better to immersion. Even more than preventing corrosion, a hull coating that may be underwater has to guard against the slime, algae, and barnacles that cling fast to a friendly hull.

What’s so bad about shellfish and microorganisms hitching a ride? The crusting of barnacles, mussels, and bacteria—called biofouling—creates drag, slowing ships and upping their fuel intake by as much as 40 percent. Foreign species can also invade ecosystems and outcompete native species for food and space. To remove the hitchhikers, the ship goes into dry dock for scraping or power washing.

Enter preventive measures, like antifouling paint. Early iterations contained copper and even arsenic, which effectively poisoned the organisms but also the water. Modern antifouling coatings are more eco-friendly, and there are always new systems being floated, such as creating a hull surface that mimics shark skin, since, unlike some whales, sharks don’t tend to harbor barnacles.

Bp10 a.jpg

The white rectangle edged in yellow—a pilot boarding mark—tells the maritime pilot where to board the ship. Maritime pilots (also called harbor or bar pilots) are experts on the navigational hazards of their home harbor and crucial characters in the drama of maritime life.

The pilot catches a ride out to the ship on a boat about the size of a tug, scrambles up a ladder hanging off the clifflike side of the ship, and takes over for the captain just before the ship comes into port. The rope ladder may not yet be deployed when the pilot boat approaches a ship, so the boarding mark is an important guide.

The white marks on the red are battle scars, reminders of scuffles with docks, other vessels (mostly tugs), and the sides of canals.
Bp11 a.jpg

A maritime pilot would board this ship using the two ladders pictured. First, he or she ascends the rope ladder, sometimes called a Jacob’s ladder, alluding to the biblical Jacob, who famously dreamed of a ladder connecting heaven and Earth. Partway up, the pilot sidesteps onto the relative security of the diagonal gangplank, called an accommodation ladder.

Sometimes the pilot makes do with just the rope ladder. According to IMO regulations, if the distance from water level to deck (which changes according to ship load and sea conditions) is more than nine meters, the ship must deploy an accommodation ladder in addition to the rope ladder. Nine meters or more is a long climb on a rope ladder, especially under difficult sea conditions.

Boarding and disembarking are probably the most dangerous parts of the job. Getting off the ship, pilots may let go of the ladder and use what’s called a manrope to help them onto the deck of the pilot boat. That way they’re less likely to be crushed between the pilot boat and ship.

Thanks very interesting.

When I was patching the article together I got to thinking...

It's been 40years since I got my AB certification (Able Bodied Seaman) or master of vessel. I used to know what all these markings meant. Seems like someone else so long ago. I don't remember the details now.

I got a very close look at the symbols on a big grey freighter once, a lot closer than I was happy with.

I was the mate on a 125ft vessel. We were tied up outboard another boat that was tied to the pier. At an oil drilling company pier where we'd pick up cargo for offshore drilling rigs. When tying up I always made sure our lines were tied correctly. I didn't check the inboard boat's lines. Oops! Learned a valuable lesson because...

Next morning I woke to fog horns, bells, sirens. The inboard boat broke loose from the pier. Tied together we were floating down the Sabine River shipping channel. With 400ft freighter and tanker traffic around us.

It was the fastest I ever fired up those big green detriot diesel engines... standing in the engine room in my underwear! Praying there wasn't a crash.

It'll wake you up in the morning, gets the blood flowing right away! 😁

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this thread! At first it I thought it was going to be about the smokestack colors. I have fond memories of sitting with my grandpa on his front porch along the St. Clair River. He had a yellow guide book that explained all the smokestack colors and the meaning of the horn calls. I found this new information really interesting too. I've watched the big freighters for years, living as close to the big lakes as I do, and always thought I'd like to ride on one upbound from Detroit to the Soo Locks.

I've watched the big freighters for years, living as close to the big lakes as I do, and always thought I'd like to ride on one upbound from Detroit to the Soo Locks.

Hey, go for it! It wouldn't be that hard to find folks working the River. Go and ask them about life on the river. Maybe write a story, take some photos. Might get a day trip on the river.

After the oil industry crashed (carter). I still didn’t have enough of the sea. Went in the navy and got to cross oceans. Still have a little salt water in my veins but I don’t think I’ll ever go to sea again. But I live in between some major river traffic, even know folks who work on the river. Think about it sometimes. A temp job, few days on the river, there’s something about traveling long distances on water… different than any other job in my life.

This was the class of boats I worked on... this modern boat is even owned by the same company I worked for decades ago. I'd recognize those colors anywhere.

Chouest 01 ( 4 sm a).jpeg

I also spent some time on boats this size and one a little larger.

Edison Choest d 3 .jpg

Last edited:
Those articles on ship markings were quite interesting. I didn't know any of that. Learning is fun.

My daughter is looking to go for her 100 ton near-coastal captains license soon. She's just a few days short of the "720 days at sea" requirement (I think she said it was 720 days, something like that I believe). The captains license would go well with her SCUBA instructor certification. Although she's a commercial diver currently, these are good things to have on her resume if she wants to change to a job in the recreational area.

Next step could be buying her own boat, run her own business. Plus, having that license will open a lot of different doors with our crazy economy. I wish her luck!

Those articles on ship markings were quite interesting. I didn't know any of that. Learning is fun.

My daughter is looking to go for her 100 ton near-coastal captains license soon. She's just a few days short of the "720 days at sea" requirement (I think she said it was 720 days, something like that I believe). The captains license would go well with her SCUBA instructor certification. Although she's a commercial diver currently, these are good things to have on her resume if she wants to change to a job in the recreational area.
That is a nice ticket to have. USCG has added a lot of requirements in recent years so she may have to get other certifications.

"Traveling long distances on water..." That is really something, when I think about it. I can't imagine what my great grandparents endured shipping over from Germany, and to think of the Vikings and explorers who ventured out in tiny boats, steering by the stars. It's amazing the skills that are needed.
Last year my Husband bought me a few books with stories about the islands and the lighthouses in the Great Lakes, and they are such interesting reading. I know Michigan was settled along the shores first, since it was much easier to travel by water than to walk through the wooded interior, but I had never known how important all the islands were as settlers came in. Even the smallest islands were settled and farmed. Some day I'd like to explore some of those old settlements.
Haertig, it sounds like your daughter is quite the intrepid explorer!

Haertig, it sounds like your daughter is quite the intrepid explorer!
She is. When she was here in Colorado, she did the rock climbing thing - instructor and setting routes in a climbing gym. Also worked as a safety diver and animal feeder at our aquarium. If you're ever at a big aquarium looking through the glass at a mermaid show, look up and you might see the safety diver swimming along up top ready to dive down for a rescue if required (they try to keep somewhat hidden though). Then she moved to Washington state to train dolphins and seals for the Navy. Next, she moved to Hawaii where she's now a commercial diver and just picked up another part time job leading manta ray nightime viewing (diving and snorkeling). At her diving job she also has to drive large telehandlers, cranes, trucks, and 80 ton boats. Doesn't have her captains license for the boats yet, so she works under a captains supervision, but her license is forthcoming. She's also into free diving, but that's just a hobby now. The little bugger dives down to 100 feet and stays there for a couple minutes. And I can't even hold my breath more than a few seconds. Recreational scuba divers don't usually go past 65 feet until they are well experienced. She definitely should have been born a fish.

Look at the size fins she uses to go so deep:

fins.jpg

Ships are always interesting.. We use a site called "vessel finder" just to look at what is coming and going along the coast here..

My mother in law grew up on the Canadian light houses along the inside passage.. My Sweeties dad sailed the Canadian Coast Guard buoy and light house tender ship there.. When her parents married they took over as master light house keepers..

MIL has pictures of Sweetie in her little kid life jacket on the deck of the "Mac" Alexander McKenzie...

I saw a show tonight “Mighty Ships”. This episode was about a 450ft long Super Dredger Ibn Battuta. It’s used to dredge big shipping channels. Dredgers are interesting to watch. I always watched them when we were in port. They move tons of muck and rock in a very short time.

This one was massive, the cutting head was 12ft across, the main suction pipe about 40”. A big ship with lots of people. Just the crew for the dredging operations was 50. The ships crew was around 35, even a professional chef, kitchen staff, barber, doc.

Ship finder said they are currently is at Adriatic Sea (coordinates 45.30968 N / 14.47722 E) reported 7 mins ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to the port of Rijeka, Croatia

This pic, that’s a 100ft barge tied up beside her.

ibn_battuta_7.jpg

Great thread... this from a lifelong small craft sailor & former deckhand aboard a sportfishing boat out of San Diego. :cool:

Senor Peanut, you were my inspiration to join this website... saw this thread and told myself, "Now HERE are some folks to whom I can relate!" ;)

Those look like Chouest craft in a couple of pics... couple friends o' mine became tugboat skippers for that outfit, aboard those 'C-tractors' with Z-drive. Those are awesome tugs, considering their relatively small size. :oops:

Moi, I'm just an old sailor, now living in the high desert, but I have some classic photos & stories to share later (in a different thread), you'll get a kick out of 'em. :)

In my own small circle, I'm known as the guy who sailed a 14' Laser to all four of Los Coronados, landing, derigging my boat & spending the night at various summits. Island wildlife sanctuaries off the northern end of Baja... friggin' paradise!!! :D

I also sailed a 12' Minifish the length of the Salton Sea, which was a grand adventure!!! 30 nm right down the center of that bad boy, with magnificent mountain & desert scenery in every direction. The Salton is a awesome sailing venue, most folks never get past the foul-smelling muck & shoals of rotting fishbones which line the lakeshore, but once an intrepid mariner is well away from shore, the air is fresher and the sailing is fantastic! Awesome sailing venue, the Salton... too bad it's totally mismanaged, otherwise it could be such a primo vacation destination. :confused:

Well, gotta get cleaned up and handle some business here on the property, but I'll be back like a bad rash to swap nautical tales of adventure... dunno if I can post links right away, maybe I'll try this link to a thread which has a few photos of the islands, along with some trucking shots and whatnot. Most folks just call 'em the Coronado Islands (or Islas Coronados), but I always threw the 'Los' in there as an honorific for the four Coronado brothers who were loyal to the king of Spain. Hard to find such loyalty nowadays, more's the pity... :(

Random outdoor adventure shots...

Enjoy the old school photos, lol... there are four sets of photos in that thread, two sets per page, you can just scroll between sets to see the pics pronto. Thanks again for the inspirational thread, maybe I've found a home at last on the stinking web, lol. I usually get banned for airing my opinion of political types, aye? So, I'm gonna try hard NOT to do that here, lol... better to focus upon the actual homesteading, I reckon. Cheers!!! :camping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread... this from a lifelong small craft sailor & former deckhand aboard a sportfishing boat out of San Diego. :cool:

Senor Peanut, you were my inspiration to join this website... saw this thread and told myself, "Now HERE are some folks to whom I can relate!" ;)

Those look like Chouest craft in a couple of pics... couple friends o' mine became tugboat skippers for that outfit, aboard those 'C-tractors' with Z-drive. Those are awesome tugs, considering their relatively small size. :oops:

Well, gotta get cleaned up and handle some business here on the property, but I'll be back like a bad rash to swap nautical tales of adventure... dunno if I can post links right away, maybe I'll try this link to a thread which has a few photos of the islands, along with some trucking shots and whatnot. Most folks just call 'em the . Cheers!!! :camping:

Welcome aboard, we've got at least one other serious sailor in our group, crossed the Atlantic. Nice pics by the way. Funny, I worked in LA a few years. Lone Pine was one of my favorite places, just to get out of the city for a day or night. There was a family (I think Swab) that canned peppers in Lone Pine, some pepper that only grew above 5000ft. Great peppers, not overly hot but a great flavor, much better than banana peppers. I bought a case when I left CA. was bummed when I opened the last jar.

Also, yep, those are Edison Chouest boats. I worked for them running supplies to oil rigs off shore, 80’s, before the USNavy. In the navy I got to see deep water. Once played a war game inside an Atlantic hurricane for a few days with a dozen other ships.

And… When I lived in LA a buddy had a 48ft coastal cruiser docked in Ventura. He lived on the boat, not a bad deal for a single man. His boat payment and slip fees were cheaper than an apartment. Anyway, when he first got it he couldn’t walk it to or away from the pier. He always called me to go out to the channel islands, usually Santa Cruz. Someone had to handle the boat until he learned. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I hear ya about handling the boat, some folks have more money than sense... moi, I learned early on that I had to be the skipper, ya know? How does that 'La Bamba' line go?

"Yo no soy marinero... yo no soy marinero... soy capitan, soy capitan, soy capitan..." ;)

I forgot that the company is Edison Chouest, my friends always referred to it as Chouest in common parlance. Big outfit, do they have the Dutch beaten yet when it comes to seagoing tugs and long hauls or passages? Those Dutch tugboat skippers generally know their sh!t, that's a country with heaps of naval & maritime experience. Just look at New Amsterdam... well, maybe not NOW, but when they founded it, lol. :oops:

Here's a story about one of those overnight island voyages I mentioned, you of all site members should enjoy it, lol... maybe that CPO too, I hail from a nautical & military family with 2 CDRs, USN Submarine Service, my pop and one of my seven brothers. We have other military personnel in the family, but those 2 CDRs are the ranking officers, lol... got an uncle who was a USAF colonel, but I like the USN CDRs better, don'tcha know? Probably because I'm a lifelong small craft sailor. :cool:

Isla Norte

ENJOY, MY NAUTICAL FRIEND!!! NOT EVERYBODY GETS TO DO THIS, ESPECIALLY TODAY... BUT THAT WAS A DIFFERENT ERA. :)

We usually do 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Unfortunately I'm one week overdue. :(

Only happened to me a couple of times... being asked to stay aboard and extra week. Once they got me with a promotion to engineer. A 5 week hitch, 3 as a deckhand and then 2 more as engineer on the same boat.

Hey, I was young at the time... an extra week didn't matter that much. Now?

Only happened to me a couple of times... being asked to stay aboard and extra week. Once they got me with a promotion to engineer. A 5 week hitch, 3 as a deckhand and then 2 more as engineer on the same boat.

Hey, I was young at the time... an extra week didn't matter that much. Now?

It's happened to me a bunch. Seems like something is always in need of repair.

I'm not sure if 50 is old, but I can feel it. 😜

Hey, I do 7 days on and 7 off. I'm about to do 3 extra days on, and I'm not happy about it, except the pay is going to be about $500/day plus $120/day per diem. The cherry on top is, that per diem is conditional on the job site being 50 or more miles from home. This week's job site is 59 miles from home. So, I'm sleeping in my own bed and getting paid $120/day to do so...

Latest posts

Back