Quantcast

Shooting a .50 BMG Round out of a 12 Gauge Shotgun

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

It actually seemed to work pretty well. The gun survived the shot, but it did not seem very efficient with all the unburnt powder that was caught during the water bucket test.
My conclusion is just because you can doesn’t mean you should. You do not gain any extra power and accuracy is probably abysmal. Just stick to slugs and other shotgun ammo.

UrbanHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor

It actually seemed to work pretty well. The gun survived the shot, but it did not seem very efficient with all the unburnt powder that was caught during the water bucket test.
My conclusion is just because you can doesn’t mean you should. You do not gain any extra power and accuracy is probably abysmal. Just stick to slugs and other shotgun ammo.
Went through 4' of water, did you see that sled jump? I'll bet it could result in a broken shoulder..... I have to ask what kind of person would want to do this to start with?

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I noticed he used a cheap shotgun. The best things about videos like this is that you learn what is possible without any risk to yourself.

SeventiesWreckers

Load Bearing Wall
Neighbor
An M2 barrel weighs about 25 pounds. You need a lot of steel to contain the pressure generated when you send a 700 grain bullet off at over 3,000 fps. The rest of the platform is also suitably built, it has to be to contain the power of the cartridges it fires. But, even at that, if it's assembled incorrectly, it can blow up, and yes, injury or death can result.

So, if you don't want your face, arm, and hand travelling at the same speed as the round you just let off, don't attempt to fire one out of a shotgun. Because, the faster you get it to travel downrange, the more pieces of you that your friends are going to have to look for later.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A half inch projectile, going down a 3/4" barrel, isn't going to reach any 3,000 ft/sec. and the pressure will be considerably less.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Famous last words:

"Hey, y'all - watch this!"

You couldn't pay me to pull off a stunt like this. I saw a woman get a notch cut in her ear when the bolt action rifle she fired blew up in her face. The bolt grazed her ear as it flew by her head. Wrong cartridge, wrong gun. To put a cartridge of that power and capacity not only in the wrong gun, but the wrong type of gun - ***on purpose!*** - is the height of stupidity IMO.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There is less danger firing the 50 BMG round in a 12 ga than firing a 38 in a 357.
It can't make any pressure because the gases go out the barrel faster than the bullet. Without resistance you don't get pressure. You also don't get any accuracy or range either.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sep 22, 2020

Marlin Model 1895 DARK .45-70 Gov't

Lever-action rifles have long been one of the most nostalgic American designs, conjuring visions of the old West, gunslingers, and cowboys. Flash forward to the 2020s, where Marlin has taken that classic design and given it a modern upgrade. Meet the Marlin Dark

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Jul 11, 2017

Shotgun Slugs for Home Defense

Is it ever a good idea to load a home defense shotgun with slugs instead of the more commonly used buckshot? Here's a quick look at some of the pros and cons of slugs for self-defense, and how that applies to the context of home protection

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Apr 12, 2020

Beginners Guide To The Pump Shotgun - How to Operate & Shoot This Great All-Purpose Firearm

You just bought a new pump shotgun and you need advice on the operation and shooting of this very versatile firearm. With almost 50 years experience I can show you how to properly load and shoot your new shotgun.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
9-25-2020

Beginners Guide To The .38 Special Snubnose & .357 Magnum Revolver - Everything You Need To Know !!

Many gun manufacturers are making small, snubnose revolvers today and I'll show you how easy it is to shoot one. I'll also show you holsters and ammunition that you can choose from and also how to use a speed loader.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I would never recommend a snub nose as a first gun for anyone. They are hard to grip, have more recoil than a longer barreled gun, and have a short sight radius which makes them hard to aim. That being said if you find that you want one get it in 357 and use 38 special ammunition. That will allow you to train with lighter recoil and cheaper ammo but as you become a better shooter you can switch to +P or 357 as your skills improve.
4 in revolvers are a better choice and are small enough for most people to carry concealed. I have always carried a 6" 357 magnum and find it easy to carry concealed or open. A 32 magnum is also an excellent choice for a first gun. It has mild recoil and is a smaller revolver than a 38 and with a 3" barrel it provides a good compromise in size and lethality.
There are a number of 380 and 9mm small semi-autos that are easy to carry and have cheap ammo (when ammo is available). If you are familiar with guns then start with whatever you are familiar with. If you have never fired a gun before then I recommend a revolver. If you decide to get a gun as a first time user then get training with your new gun. Gun safety and the safe operation of the gun you have. This is very important with all guns but much more so with a semi-auto. It takes time to get used to clearing a semi-auto and there are many more accidents and negligent discharges with the semi-autos than with the revolvers simply because of the complexities of the semi-autos over the simplicity of the revolver. Good training and on-going training is essential for safe handling and good shooting techniques.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sep 10, 2018

Should You Keep a Round Chambered In Your Firearm? with Active Self Protection

Should You Keep a Round Chambered In Your Firearm? Second Amendment Attorney Marc J. Victor

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wore a revolver for 48 years as my every day carry. In a revolver the only two ways to NOT have a round in the chamber requires an empty chamber or an empty gun. My gun was a 6 shot revolver and I carried 6 rounds. It always had a round in the chamber. I am used to treating the gun as loaded and ready to fire. I do the same thing with my auto loading pistols. The hammer is down on a live chamber, just like the revolver, and all I have to do is point the gun and pull the trigger. The safety only works if the hammer is cocked and I don't carry with the hammer cocked. The first shot is always double action.
You can't do that with a striker fired gun. There is no way to drop the striker on a round in the chamber without it going BANG. (OK, there are guns with decockers but that means trusting a mechanical device to drop the hammer or striker without setting off the round. I am a mechanic and I know that mechanical devices fail. I have witnessed three decockers fail whereby the guns fired. I don't trust them.)
You make the decision on how you carry your gun depending on the training and attention to detail that you possess. A negligent discharge can cause you to lose your right to keep and bear arms. Guns that are handled inappropriately are dangerous. You must be conscious of the danger whenever you handle your gun.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sep 21, 2020

400-Dollar Hunting Rifle VS 2,000-Dollar Hunting Rifle

A little comparison between a very INEXPENSIVE bolt action rifle and a pretty EXPENSIVE bolt action rifle.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oct 30, 2018

50 BMG vs Atlas Stone (380 lbs!!!)

Today on Kentucky Ballistics we see if we can bust a 380 lb atlas stone with a 50 BMG! I hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!

" The last riffle he is using in this video ,is the one to shoot the 50 bmg bullet through" , not a shotgun like the first guy did on video #1. 👍

Last edited:

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sep 26, 2019

50 BMG vs Bumper Plate 🏋️‍♂️

Today on Kentucky Ballistics we blast a 45 lb bumper plate with a 50 BMG! I hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!

Nov 29, 2018

50 BMG vs Anvil

Today on Kentucky Ballistics we see if we can bust an anvil with a 50 BMG! I hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!

Last edited:

UrbanHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We shoot a lot of slugs here, a sabot slug from a rifled barrel can consistantly make a 2" group at 50 yards. My 12 gauge has a scope on it and I use hollowpoint sabots. I have harvested out to 100 yards no problem (need to make sure you know where you with hit at different ranges), could shoot out to 150 easy, but usually don't get to make that long a shot here. With a heart/lung shot they usually shatter 2 ribs on both sides, I have had them lodge in a shoulder bone on the exit side, if I shot a little forward. I have taken a couple of head shots, results look like a baseball went through, but it saves a lot of good meat.

For home defense, I would just throw a buck-shot in, knowing that I will end up with a really wide pattern because of the rotation, might result in a head and toe shot from the same round.... Wouldn't do it very often as it will mess up the barrel. With a magnum slug you could could knock down the 3rd guy, if they were coming in single file....