Shortage of canned tomatoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Because of the drought and many of the workers are staying home to draw the enhanced unemployment, they are expecting record prices for canned tomatoes and tomato products. One farmer says he cut from 2200 acres to 900 acres because of labor shortage,

Got twenty cans of tomatoes & I do not like them. DW use them in stews, bet raw tomatoes will go up, I remember ripe tomatoes where $6.00 a pound.

I've got so much ketchup and pasta sauce stocked up! Amazon is still having deals on them, but I stopped buying because I already have enough to last at least a couple of years!
What annoys me is the difficulty in getting fresh tomatoes. I only have my brother pick up Walmart orders for me every 3 or 4 weeks, and if they're out of tomatoes, I don't get any.
And don't say grow my own. Darn field rats destroy them, and I don't have the time and energy to deal with it. I'm only one person, I don't eat much anyhow.

I've got so much ketchup and pasta sauce stocked up! Amazon is still having deals on them, but I stopped buying because I already have enough to last at least a couple of years!
What annoys me is the difficulty in getting fresh tomatoes. I only have my brother pick up Walmart orders for me every 3 or 4 weeks, and if they're out of tomatoes, I don't get any.
And don't say grow my own. Darn field rats destroy them, and I don't have the time and energy to deal with it. I'm only one person, I don't eat much anyhow.
I had both rats & rabbits in my garden eating tomatoes. You could grow on tomato plant in a five gallon bucket to keep you in tomatoes.

I had both rats & rabbits in my garden eating tomatoes. You could grow on tomato plant in a five gallon bucket to keep you in tomatoes.
Really! No reason not to outsmart the critters. You have a brain and opposable thumbs, use them lol

Yes they grow everywhere in S.C.
Matter of fact the tomatoes that had the rat damage where "Jesus Tomatoes" or volunteers. I call them Jesus tomatoes, because I had nothing to do with them growing. They come up in a bed I was not planting, so I let them grow & some weeds came up to, but the tomatoes spread out kelp growing. When I saw a ripe tomato, I pick it, but I did not weed the wild tomatoes, that probably why the rat got to them. I never had a problem with clean rows & tomatoes or peppers in cages.

I have a huge pest load on my garden and that's why I grow Eurpoean veggies and slicing and canning tomatoes in Winter. I still have to wrap the stems in foil to stop the cutworms and as the fruit matures I have to net them to keep the critters from eating my hard work.
In summer I have special mesh drawstring bags to cover my caspsiums as they develop and I have learned the hard way I can't grow yellow skinned veggies esp pumpkins in Summer because they get attacked by fruit fly. They ignore the varieties of pumpkin that have green skins when mature.

Latest posts

Back