Should I take my LGD for Walks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have a 6-mo old intact great pyrenees female, who stays in a fenced 2-ac area with 4 goats. My whole property is about 20 ac, and I decided to take her out on a leash last night. She was initially resistant to leave the area, but then came along willingly and did fine during the walk.

Afterwards, I wondered if this was wise. I do enjoy having her along, but ... if I expose her to the "world outside", will she then be more willing to escape and go explore it when she needs to be with the goats?

I have never had LGD but I would think they should stay with their herd.
She probably gets enough exercise without walking with you.
Maybe you need a dog who's only job is to be with you.
In other words a pet. ;) But I have been wrong before so wait for the experienced folks opinions.

I've thought about getting a companion dog also.

The farmer a half mile down the road had a great Pyrenees who would occasionally wander about the area after chewing off his lead. He camped outside my front door one time and I tried to lead him home but he just did what he wanted to do, which was chillax at my house. He was huge and super friendly and I wanted to keep him lol. Those dogs are known for wandering but idk if males are more likely to wander than females.

I’ve heard people say they, especially Pyrenees, need to know their boundaries and that it’s important for you to train them to know their boundaries and what and where they are to protect. They need to know it is not okay to leave the property.
$.02

Latest posts

Back