Show us your waterfowl.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
I have 7 Peking ducks and 2 African Brown geese.

0nxKNGf.jpg

EziwLcC.jpg

TWGpwUA.jpg

lTtYhR7.jpg

I am a mallard duck guy.
I want geese too.
But nothing til I move.

I like mallards too but haven't had any yet other than 1 that was only a day or 2 old a friend found abandoned but it only lived a day,I couldn't get it to eat or drink or anything,even tried a dropper.

Our ducks walking across the slightly frozen pond today.

View attachment 930
Nice looking ducks there,what breed are the darker ones??

Mine haven't even tried walking across it. Our pond never completely freezes because of the aerator and there's only a couple of feet of ice between the bank and the water but they just sit on the bank if they even go to the pond,the last couple days they stayed by the building.

Nice looking ducks there,what breed are the darker ones??

They're of the world famous TSC heritage. :LOL:

I asked AuntJoe and she has no idea. They were cute. She bought 4 last year at TSC. Had a hatching back in the spring adding 9 more. Lost a couple to the yote that wanders through now and then.

That small spot in the left hand corner with no ice is where the sump pump drains. Once the ground gets really frozen the pump won't be running the rest of the winter. But for now they all crowd into that little spot to splash around. As I walked toward the pond to take the pic, they got skittish and were scrambling to get out and hopped up onto the ice instead of just walking up the bank like they normally would.

They're of the world famous TSC heritage. :LOL:

I asked AuntJoe and she has no idea. They were cute. She bought 4 last year at TSC. Had a hatching back in the spring adding 9 more. Lost a couple to the yote that wanders through now and then.

That small spot in the left hand corner with no ice is where the sump pump drains. Once the ground gets really frozen the pump won't be running the rest of the winter. But for now they all crowd into that little spot to splash around. As I walked toward the pond to take the pic, they got skittish and were scrambling to get out and hopped up onto the ice instead of just walking up the bank like they normally would.
I had 4 brown ones a couple years ago that my step-daughter got and she just put them right in the duck building so they never got real real tame. A coyote got 1 and somebody ran the other 3 over all at once,so this past spring I got these and they were all raised in the house until they were about to get there feathers,about 6-8 weeks old,so they're all pretty tame. There's 1 that'll even eat minnows out of my hand. When I bring them in in the evening they're only a couple feet in front of me and I reach down and touch there backs sometimes.

Saw this post and thought I'd post a picture of my unhappy geese.The pond is iced over and they are just besides themselves.They even played with a bale of hay for a couple of hours.

Yeah the ducks aren't very happy either. It's been below freezing here for nearly a week and they can't find anyplace to break through the ice and frolic. The first day of above freezing isn't going to be until at least Sunday, and even then they're only calling for 33°F. Looks like it may be a couple months till they have the pond back.

I have an aerator in my pond that keeps it from freezing completely but the part that's not frozen is a few feet from the bank and the ducks and geese won't walk across it. When it gets as cold as it is now I keep them in the building anyway. @chickenqueen yours has really gotten pretty and so big.

It's so cold and they're acting like it's bothering their feet.Can their feet get frostbite?

That's a really good question. I never gave it any thought. But I have noticed, since we got a few inches of snow Saturday they have been hanging out in a snow free area under one of the trucks that hasn't been moved yet.

Hmmmmm?

I love watching a flock of those fly over.
as long as they keep flying. Canada geese are tasty but some places have so many you can’t walk near a lake without walking through tons of slimy goose poop. It was so bad that my family took to calling the lake near our place “Goose Poop Slough”

Last edited:
Canada Geese do wear out their welcome quickly.

Back