SHTF Clothes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've looked around the forum but have not found the answers I'm looking for so I figured I'd start a thread about it. I don't know if anyone has noticed but most clothing, including boots and shoes, is not very durable and does not last long these days(especially womens). Obviously when SHTF happens we will all likely have to make whatever clothes we have last for an indeterminate amount of time. Seasonal clothing like coats, long underwear, jackets and sweatshirts typically last longer because they're not worn daily, in most climates anyway.

I'm trying to accumulate some stock of good work/daily clothing that will last for a good amount of time before needing any mending and such. So far I've found Magellan(Academys store brand) fishing shirts and 511 Tactical pants to be both functional and durable. Boots and shoes tend to be incredibly hit or miss though. I am however looking for a few more options. What brands do y'all find to be the most practical and durable for daily wear?

Wrangler jeans are the best I've found in all my years.
I have worn work boots ever since I got out of the Army 52 years ago. I mean, that's all. I do have one pair of cowboy boots I save for special occasions - they are 50 year old Redwings. And a pair of 60 year old Bass penny loafers. It's getting hard to find cobblers who will re-sole shoes anymore.
I don't even own a pair of sneakers.

Work boots, jeans, and Dickies work shirts are it for me. I do not care to go anywhere this is not "good enough".

As far as work boots, I have tried them all that are priced less than about $150. The longest lasting, most comfortable I've found are Georgia Boot 8" Comfort Core. They are made in the Dominican Republic instead of China.

For women, my wife swears by Arait Terrain boots as the best she's found for horse riding. And i assume they will be excellent for other activities too. I believe I'm going to buy a pair of these and give them a try. I've looked hers over, and they look like a good boot.

If you work outside at all, you've probably figured out what works and what doesn't. We use seasonal clothing that makes sense for the job we're doing on the farm. I'm a big fan of muck boots in the winter, and rain jackets. It takes me at least an hour to get the animals taken care of every morning, rain or shine. Usually by the time I come in for lunch, between the animals and the garden, I am a dirtball mess. I go through at least two changes of clothes a day, sometimes three.

I have been wearing Carhartt pants for 6 years now, provided by work. We get new ones every year. I use the old ones at home. I would still go with them even if it was my dime. We live with 50 inches of rain. We have Carhartt storm defender rain jackets. We don't usually need anything heavier. Those have held up for several years of rough farm use. Muck boots are great and last several years of daily use. This year selection was terrible so we both got Dryshod. Again it's cold and wet for 6 months.

I have an unfair advantage in this area. I am a costume designer and I keep a rather large (enough for a large storage unit) stash of fabrics and notions. Patterns in an array of sizes and season types as well. I can also darn and mend clothing.

As for fast fashion (that is the term for modern clothing because of the turn over of styles and cheap fabrics) I aim for 100% natural fibers. Nothing in the pants department that has stretch or tight fitting.

To be honest good quality clothing will only take you so far. Knowing the proper care and maintenance of your clothing will help them last even longer.

I use Carhart for everything as it seems to be the mid point of cheap, yet good enough.

IF you have the budget, you can get Kevlar jeans and shirts intended for wild land firefighting that are pretty amazing. But not cheap. Kevlar is not only fireproof, its stain proof, very very tough, and extremely easy to clean, dirt almost won't stick to it.

I was lucky enough to have some, that I foolishly used for work clothes at a steel yard until they where eventually destroyed.

As for boots....I'm still searching. I've gone, high, $400 dollar Redwings, and low, $50 no name chinese tactial boots, and they all last me about the same time...a year. The Redwings die just as fast as the others...but at many times the price. But I use things really hard. Molten metal, sharp steel, rocks, etc. I consider clothes an ablative surface.

Last edited:
To be honest good quality clothing will only take you so far. Knowing the proper care and maintenance of your clothing will help them last even longer.
This is the most important. Most people just dispose of something when it can be repaired or altered to their needs.

I use Carhart for everything as it seems to be the mid point of cheap, yet good enough.

IF you have the budget, you can get Kevlar jeans and shirts intended for wild land firefighting that are pretty amazing. But not cheap. Kevlar is not only fireproof, its stain proof, very very tough, and extremely easy to clean, dirt almost won't stick to it.

I was lucky enough to have some, that I foolishly used for work clothes at a steel yard until they where eventually destroyed.

As for boots....I'm still searching. I've gone, high, $400 dollar Redwings, and low, $50 no name chinese tactial boots, and they all last me about the same time...a year. The Redwings die just as fast as the others...but at many times the price. But I use things really hard. Molten metal, sharp steel, rocks, etc. I consider clothes an ablative surface.

boots...get a pair of westcoast they can be had production line or custom made...or try a pair of whites. both were expensive back in the day but worth it. my vibram from westcoast made to fit in early 90's was $300. also hoffman boot in idaho use to have a huge line of boots. had a great pair of pack type with corked bottoms with leathers to knee from them that was great in snow.

https://builder.wescoboots.com/

Last edited:
My wife has enough clothing to last about 200 years. I'll just wear animal hides and moccasins if my stuff wears out.

Back