Sick goat update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As some of y'all know, my La Mancha buck has been extremely sick with pneumonia. He just finished the 4th antibiotic and has another apt tomorrow. He's been standing on his back legs for 2 weeks now but not the front. We have been lifting him up and stretching his front legs because they are extremely stiff from him laying on them for about 5 weeks. This morning we stood him up and "walked" him out of the trailer and into the sun. We took the strap off of him and expected to help him "fall" into a laying position like he has been doing. He stood on his own and then walked about 4 feet before laying down.

In sorry to hear that your buck has been sick but it sounds like he may be in the mend.Pneumonia can bring a goat down quickly. Hoping he gets over it soon.

Its amazing how fast he went down. One day he was running for his hay then next he couldn't stand and wouldn't eat. He has lost so much weight. He's started gaining it back but he was down to just bone. Dairy goats don't have much meat to loose but DANG! It was quick! Darn prey animals make keeping them healthy so hard sometimes!

He's better, thank you. Up and walking. We just left the vets off, sitting at the DMV now. He still has a bit of a cough but she thinks it's a bit of residual inflammation because his lungs sound clear so she gave him a steroid shot. He's up on all four chasing the girls.

Can you tell why you chose LaMancha goats to raise? Is that the only breed you raise? I don't know much about goats but I like to learn stuff.
A friend was helping some goat farmers that raise LaMancha, lots of MILK.

Because they are different with their itty bitty ears. They are very friendly and behave a lot like a dog. I've got one that will come up on the porch and sit with me.

We also have Boers. They are very loud when they think its feeding time and can be quite stubborn at times.

Because they are different with their itty bitty ears. They are very friendly and behave a lot like a dog. I've got one that will come up on the porch and sit with me.

We also have Boers. They are very loud when they think its feeding time and can be quite stubborn at times.
They are really unusual looking, the LaMancha. I always wondered what was wrong with the ears. Thought their ears had been docked or clipped.

Glad your goat is doing better.
I had a goat named Nita when I was a child. She was very loving followed me everywhere and chased the car when we left.

Terri9630, I know goats are supposed to make their own Vitamin C, but when they're sick they use it up way faster than they make it. Can't hurt to give them some sups and the tablets, my goats always seemed to like to munch. Or hide in something else he likes (like a prune). No downside and might be really helpful.

He got got C everyday. We moved up the mountain and into the forest and switched from goats to Dexter cows. Fewer predator issues.

Back