Since it's Halloween: THE SPOOKY STORY THREAD!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
January 1987. I'd just scored my first real job, I could stop living out of my car, and my brother decided we could swing a nice place in the country if we went in together.
Good job bro, find us a haunted house right next to an alien base!
You heard me. the only thing missing from that dig was Bigfoot!
There was something in that place. On my first night alone there I was sound asleep, when I heard a noise like the place was being ransacked! glass breaking, stuff hitting the walls, I grabbed my crappy H@R 22 and jerked the door open to find....
NOTHING.
NOT ONE BEER CAN OUT OF PLACE!
I figured I was dreaming and after looking the place over, decided I was having a bad dream, but the second. I got back under the covers...Wham! BAM! SMASH! I opened the door again, pistol in hand, and NOTHING! I'm not kidding, it sounded like everything in the house was getting thrown around, but there was nothing. I stood there in the dark a minute after I killed the light again, but nothing else ensued. so I went back to bed. I told my brother about it and he made fun of me! That must have pissed off whatever it was living there with us because while I was at work, he was sleeping. He told me he woke up paralyzed with a black shadow peeking around the door at him! When the paralysis lifted, he jumped up with hid .45 to find every door in the house open! we always locked everything! so that made a believer out of him. the last time I heard from our spook I was watching Star Trek on TV when I heard a ruckus back in my brother's room, I thought a coon or a possum had gotten in again, so I grabbed a broom and went back to shoo whatever it was out, but as I got there, the door slammed in my face! it had been flat against the wall, not even a kid could hide behind it! "I told it out loud:
"That's fine pal, do whatever you like, I'm going back to the TV!"
I went back. and about an hour later the door popped back open and I heard footsteps like a woman come down the hall, the LOCKED front door popped open, and that was the last we ever heard from our ghost. we could still feel something not right, but it never bugged us again with spooky stuff. The space people were another matter. remember, I said witnesses were being involved now!

Last edited:
I don't have any spooky stories other than the time I met the greys.

You lived with me for seven years off and on and NOTHING freaked you out?
Son, "Meeting them" and "Stabbing one in the face with a knife until they zap you" are two different things. You're telling me seeing HER come out of the bedroom didn't blow your mind?!

Last edited:
I don't have any spooky stories other than the time I met the greys.
Yeah, other than my numerous encounters with ghosts, I'm totally clean :thumbs:;).

You lived with me for seven years off and on and NOTHING freaked you out?
Son, "Meeting them" and "Stabbing one in the face with a knife until they zap you" are two different things. You're telling me seeing HER come out of the bedroom didn't blow your mind?!
I said spooky stories.

I thought it was until I asked a friend what the radio in his head told him to do.

Mom didn't know what to say either. it was then I got labeled as "Schizophrenic" I know people that talk to "God" or at least a god all the time, nobody cares. but start mentioning parallel worlds and time travel, especially when you're 10, and the whole world comes unglued!

It was all a game to me, until I saw proof. Then I freaked out. Always demand proof. In magick, in life. In "Aliens." If something wants to contact you, they want something out of it. Even if it's benevolent, and wants only good for you, demand proof.

I thought it was until I asked a friend what the radio in his head told him to do.

Mom didn't know what to say either. it was then I got labeled as "Schizophrenic" I know people that talk to "God" or at least a god all the time, nobody cares. but start mentioning parallel worlds and time travel, especially when you're 10, and the whole world comes unglued!
I've been around really smart people all my life. If I ever run into a highly intelligent person that is totally "normal", with no quirks, I'll know they are lying about their intelligence.

Just don't mess with 'mamaw Hatch' or 'the soldier guy'.
They aren't nice people ghosts.:rolleyes:
Many stories to tell.
I'll spin one that is kinda short.

The Soldier Guy
I was sleeping in the "brass bedroom" in the 'big house'.
Woke up and someone was in the room.
You know how even if you are blindfolded and someone is standing in the room not making a sound, you not only know they are there, but exactly where they are standing.
He was 10-feet away, between me and the dresser. I sat straight up in the bed.
I was stareing right thru him at the dresser. Nothing to see.
A loud man's voice boomed out: "NOW I'VE GOT YOU RIGHT WHERE I WANT YOU!" I was frozen, paralysed in fear.
Years later we were reading local history books and came across when the Union troops showed up, they went thru every house looking for Confederate soldiers.
Everything clicked then.
A Union guy was going up the staircase to the 3rd floor of 'the big house' when he was shot in the back and killed.
Sure enough, 13' above the bottom of the staircase is a small door in the crawlspace under the 3rd floor. :oops:
Lesson: ghosts are normal people too, and the vast majority are like anyone else you would meet, no problem.
But those that died really angry, and ones that were/are betrayed, are the bad ones.:(
Edit: The brass bedroom is right beside the bottom of the staircase going up to the 3rd floor.

Last edited:
Spooky stuff, Supe, but I've got a scarier tale: GOATHEADS!!! :oops:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 🤣

I'll take Civil War ghosts over friggin' goatheads any day of the week, 10-4??? 😉

But I still luv ya, just not in the Epic Darwin Failure sense, lol, and I'll be sure to send ya a big ol' box o' holiday goatheads just as soon as ya PM me your mailing address!!! 😎

Spooky stuff, Supe, but I've got a scarier tale: GOATHEADS!!! :oops:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 🤣

I'll take Civil War ghosts over friggin' goatheads any day of the week, 10-4??? 😉

But I still luv ya, just not in the Epic Darwin Failure sense, lol, and I'll be sure to send ya a big ol' box o' holiday goatheads just as soon as ya PM me your mailing address!!! 😎
Yeah, even though I have had numerous ghost encounters, I am hesitant to spin many of the stories because people will think I am a nut.
Fortunately, I have never had to go face-to-face with goatheads!
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data

Now, that would be really bad! gaah

Oh, I believe in ghosts, I've met them before and there was NO scientific explanation for their presence, 10-4? 🤔

I've met hostile ghosts too, and THOSE were pretty scary... or scary enough to make me relocate pronto, lol. ;)

The angry or bitter ghosts are tough customers, that's for sure... saltier than I like my usual ghosts, lol. :rolleyes:

Yeah, even though I have had numerous ghost encounters, I am hesitant to spin many of the stories because people will think I am a nut.

You can NOT POSSIBLY look nuttier than me dude, go for it! we got 28 days to kill. LOL

You can NOT POSSIBLY look nuttier than me dude, go for it! we got 28 days to kill. LOL
Remind me tomorrow. People think I am nutty enough already:(.
I have a really funny one told to me by my little brother that did NOT believe in ghosts....

Already think you are nuts. Go for it, you got nothing to loose.

My "NUTS" have witnesses this time...
WATCH IT WING NUT! lmao!!
Alright, still in the formerly haunted or at least now quiet trailer out in the middle of nowhere. call me a weirdo, but I love a good sunset. it's my thing to have a cigar and a cold drink/ couple of shots of scotch, depending on the time of year, and watch the sun set. I got to noticing the mountain across the way, maybe five miles off. every night, and you could set your watch by it! orange/gold fireballs would come up out of the mountain, now you're thinking "swamp gas" No. these would sometimes travel across the horizon and out of sight! some would drift around like balloons, some would zip off like rockets, some a bit of both. I bought a pair of nice binoculars to watch them with. And right at 3:00AM they would all come back, line up in the sky and then drop back into the mountain. My brother thought I was nuts, and it had to be something natural until... One night while watching them, one decided to come watch me!. Now I admit, I had smoked a little pot that night, but that might have made what happened next worse! I was peeping the "base" as usual when I felt something was "OFF" It was like the world suddenly held its breath! I lowered my binoculars and looked up! and there it was! a Triangle shaped ship with clipped points and "computer lights" on the bottom just sitting there overhead ar tree top level overhead, I could have thrown my binoculars at it and scored a direct hit! It was like they knew I was watching them and decided to give me a good look! after a minute, it sailed away in the direction of the mountain until it was out of sight. this thing was easily as big as a corporate jet! Well, I told my brother, and he told me someone had dusted my weed. My visitors must have not liked that! My bro worked the loading docks at a shipping company about five miles away parking trailers in the loading bay. well when he was on break, my triangle decided to pay him a visit on the way to come see me! He said it didn't act like it cared who saw it as it just cruised overhead. A few minutes later it was coming overhead. this time I had no weed or booze in me, in fact I was drinking black coffee, somehow I knew it was coming back and I wanted to have a clear head! Well, come back it did, it followed the same course as before and I got to watch them a good five minutes! that night my brother came home and apologized to me for saying I was wasted and we sat up that night watching them go back into the mountain. this was not the last time we'd meet my feline friends however. a few weeks later, we were headed out to the party store for our weekend supply of booze and junk food and were just about to get in the car when suddenly the world got quiet again. now being hillbillies, we noticed this in a second and just looked at each other a moment. then we heard it, like wind whipping through the trees and we looked up, and there it was, like it was making sure that we both knew we weren't nuts! and then I heard her. I'm not sure my brother heard anything, but the busted radio in my head tuned in for just a brief moment. (remember the naked furry lady I referenced?) I heard her say Oh, so clear in my head:
"We'll meet again."
And so we did. several times in fact.
We never made it to the store that night, in fact I don't even remember going back inside! but we just sat there staring at each other, asking each other if what just happened, actually happened, discussing every detail in minutia and multiple times in fact all night.
comming conscript.png

Last edited:
Well, at least she's mammalian.

I have a really funny one told to me by my little brother that did NOT believe in ghosts....
This is a longer one that I will call:

Happy Ghosts
The property was located on the outside of a big horseshoe bend in the river.
When we were young we would walk along the riverbank below the 40' high limestone bluff picking up "fool's gold". We came across a huge 1-1/4" rusting steel cable anchored in the limestone and wondered what thaheck it was for.

My little brother told me that he was just waking up one morning and heard loud children's laughter as they jumped up and down on his bed. (There's that 'quasi-conscious' thing again). He knew if he opened his eyes, they would be gone so he just laid there and listened to their wonderful howling laughter and feeling the mattress bounce as they jumped up and down on it. (there were no young children in the house)
He finally opened his eyes, and there was nothing.

Years later I was reading the local history books and 100 years earlier there was a man-powered ferry crossing the river down there (which explained the cable).
An entire grade of schoolchildren went on a field-trip that required crossing the river on the ferry. It was rainy season and the river was up and running fast, with whole trees going down it. As they were crossing the river, a tree hit the side of the ferry flipping it upside-down, pivoting on the cable. Most of the children drowned in the fast-moving river.
They brought the children's bodies up to 'the big house' to lie-in-state until they could be claimed by family members.

Everything made perfect sense then. :thumbs:

Last edited:
My first "encounter" was at 4 or 5 years old. I had come downstairs to go to the bathroom and it was late enough that no one else was up. After flushing I noticed a light outside - there were no lights out there! He was floating there in full view above the ground. Floor level was about 8 feet above the ground so he had to be floating. He was not menacing or frightening in any way and he was made of white light. He looked at me and although I couldn't make out any facial features, I could sense a smile?!? I stood there looking at him and felt ... connected in some weird way. Connected not just with him but to everything. I guess now I would call it LOVE - toward me and from everything. That feeling gave me an instant of panic and then it was gone. Since then I have had experiences with spirits of all kinds but I never feared them and was always able to control the situations. I know I will see him again we will have a laugh about the thoughts of a young man presented with universal love.
Anyone who has experienced an "evil" spirit doesn't understand that they may behave in different ways but they are not really evil - they just live within a very different reality. If you ask them to modify their behavior to suit your reality they are quite normal. I have had to threaten a spirit before and have told them that they can live in a given place but they have to do so in a different time. They accepted my request/order and I never had a problem with them. No matter where they come from they do know the power of love.

My first "encounter" was at 4 or 5 years old. I had come downstairs to go to the bathroom and it was late enough that no one else was up. After flushing I noticed a light outside - there were no lights out there! He was floating there in full view above the ground. Floor level was about 8 feet above the ground so he had to be floating. He was not menacing or frightening in any way and he was made of white light. He looked at me and although I couldn't make out any facial features, I could sense a smile?!? I stood there looking at him and felt ... connected in some weird way. Connected not just with him but to everything. I guess now I would call it LOVE - toward me and from everything. That feeling gave me an instant of panic and then it was gone. Since then I have had experiences with spirits of all kinds but I never feared them and was always able to control the situations. I know I will see him again we will have a laugh about the thoughts of a young man presented with universal love.
Anyone who has experienced an "evil" spirit doesn't understand that they may behave in different ways but they are not really evil - they just live within a very different reality. If you ask them to modify their behavior to suit your reality they are quite normal. I have had to threaten a spirit before and have told them that they can live in a given place but they have to do so in a different time. They accepted my request/order and I never had a problem with them. No matter where they come from they do know the power of love.
Sounds like you were chosen to be a light worker dude.

There is more on that "light worker" part but I am not ready - or it's not time for it yet.

You would feel inadequate with only two hands and one mouth... ;)

You should have grown up in an antebellum house inhabited by 8 ghosts.
... like I did :oops:. You would know them all by name.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hatch_Place_at_Arcola
680px-Hatch_Plantation_at_Arcola_004.JPG

You want to know where the 'secret passages' are?
We found them all.:thumbs:
Just don't mess with 'mamaw Hatch' or 'the soldier guy'.
They aren't nice people ghosts.:rolleyes:
Many stories to tell.
please, please, tell us some stories! Have you ever been on Jim Harold's Campfire? Lots of others would be fascinated by your memories

Latest posts

Back