Singer Treadle sewing machine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Strange topic for me to start.

I was just gifted an old early 1900's Singer treadle sewing machine. Case is kinda rough. But the workings all seem to function. Does anyone know where to buy belts or supplies for them? Any ideas on finding a manual? I know nothing about them, but want to get it back in working order. I will get some pics sometime. BTW the serial number shows up very well.

I was just gifted an old early 1900's Singer treadle sewing machine. Case is kinda rough. But the workings all seem to function. Does anyone know where to buy belts or supplies for them? Any ideas on finding a manual? I know nothing about them, but want to get it back in working order. I will get some pics sometime. BTW the serial number shows up very well.
Backpacker, I have a Singer Red Eye treadle machine. I buy the leathers and other stuff on Amazon, and they are not expensive at all. There are several good books available. I have the one below and found it very helpful
1703309004569.png

Any sewing machine shop will have belts. Bobbins are still available but you will need to know which kind it uses: 3 possibilities- a shuttle or a 1” round wheel with holes or about 1-1/4” round w/o holes.
There is a singer sight you can type the serial number in and find out what year it was made, how many were made, manual etc. I have several old singers. I would say when someone is having a problem with one, the number one cause is it being incorrectly threaded.
If I can help holler.

Thanks LadyL. I found a site that you can look up serial numbers and such. Not sure if it was Singer or not. Haven't had time to open it and get the number yet. Also found a site to download PDF manuals. I think this is gonna be fun

Edit: The site is the International Sewing Machine Collectors Society
Yep that’s the one 😁

When I was a kid... My Granny, my aunt, and my mom all had treadle machines they sewed parts of quilts to assemble into finished products... They would cut multiple copies of patterns out of newspaper taped together same as parts blueprints.. Assembly skills they all learned working in defense plants during WW2..

I've had a Singer treadle for decades. It was missing the plate that covers the bobbin when I got it. I've never been able to find one.
Yep, check with online sources for a machine that is being parted out or see if @montanabill has one. I see beautiful machines for sale with high price tags and the bobbin plate missing- hahaha. Good luck selling it. I don’t know why they get taken off but like you said crazy to try to find a replacement. If you can’t find one, a machinist might be able to make you one but not sure of cost.

I finally got a few pics on mine today. Gonna look up the serial number when I get my puter out and see what I can find out.
There was a bag of thread, pins, odd and ends in one of the drawers. There was 3 parts in it. No idea what they are. Forgot to get pics of them. Here is the machine

Attachments

• 20231229_144425.jpg
    20231229_144425.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231229_144540.jpg
    20231229_144540.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I got the manual that I ordered today, the next step will be to choose which machine to clean up first. I want to take my time and do the job correctly. The plan is to get 2 of them into perfect working order and give one to each of the kids....

Latest posts

Back