Skin and process a deer in 10 minutes without gutting it

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
This is a new-to-me way of skinning and processing a deer. This guy shows how to do it in 10 minutes without gutting it. (It would take me a few minutes more than that because I will use a non-electric meat saw to get the head and two front legs off.)

If you hunt where you can just load the carcass in your truck this would work.
I always hunted far from a road so I had to pack everything out.
The guts stayed in the woods to feed the birds and animals.
Most of the time the hide was also left at the kill site.
Even on the rare occasions I could drive close to the kill site I gutted first.
I shot a buck on the last weekend of deer season and Elk started the next day.
I drove home with the deer, hung it in the garage and left my wife and SIL a note to take care of it.
They were not real happy with me but they processed all the meat.
They got even, they ate the back-straps before I returned home.

Last edited:
Getting the guts out is necessary to getting it cooled down.
If it was gut shot then you need to get that out and rinse it well or you will ruin the meat.
Most of the "gamey" taste in wild game is poor care in the field.

Yes, it was a lot of wasted meat.

>insert a face-palm smiley icon here<

I will admit to only watching almost half that video before being impressed enough to post it. I liked how he got the skin off, and much of the meat off so quick. Being in a hurry, I posted the video based on that (and thinking the rest of it would be equally good).

Now that I have seen the rest of it, I don't think I will be doing my deer entirely that way. Because I am too frugal to waste good food, I cringed to see so much meat wasted and I sure won't be following every line and verse of that video! But I definitely like the way he skinned it out and I might steal another trick or two that I learned from the video.

That's the way we do rabbits and small birds. I didn't watch all of the video so I don't know how much meat was left but if you remove the guts after (easier that way) and cut up what's left you could freeze it for dog food.

Latest posts

Back