Skip 2 or 3 Meals And Tell Me How You Feel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
Pfffft. I fast all the time. It's only painful if you are used to eating junk & processed foods and then have to go without. It's the insulin crash the hurts. Still I get what the article is trying to say.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/systemic-risk/skip-2-or-3-meals-and-tell-me-how-you-feel/

Skip 2 or 3 Meals And Tell Me How You Feel
by Ken Jorgustin | Updated Oct 21, 2019 |

empty-plate.jpg

I want you to try and understand the desperation that will unfold if “the people” were to go hungry. This weekend something happened that made me think of this…

We had no breakfast (Mrs.J and I). I normally eat later in the morning (brunch) anyway, so no big deal.

We decided to do a supply run over to the town that actually has a few ‘big box’ stores to pick up a few things that we can’t find here in our local area.

As it turns out, we were there a lot longer than anticipated as the clock ticked into the mid afternoon.

At one point, we suddenly realized that we were hungry! Really hungry! Having not eaten since the evening before, maybe 20 hours had gone by. Of course we weren’t technically starving, but when you’re really hungry you might say “I’m starving!” – that’s how we felt.

(Of course this happens on a semi-regular-random basis – as I sometimes get caught up in what I’m doing, or a project,… suddenly extra hungry since I’ve skipped a meal or two.)

It got me to thinking about “what if”. What if nearly everyone around you was really hungry! Do you realize how desperate that situation could become? (Analogous to a broad reaching SHTF event affecting distribution within our JIT system)

During the time span while I was really hungry that day, just about all I could think about was getting something to eat. Now imagine if that hunger went into day 2 without food? Talk about hungry…!

We in the modern world are so ridiculously spoiled when it comes to the availability of food. It really is a stunner to think about what might happen if the masses went without food for a day, or even two! Three? That would be insanity…

So the next time you’ve skipped a few meals or three, and get really hungry, think about that feeling you have — the instinctive desire/drive/priority to get something to eat (because you’re so hungry). Now imagine all your neighbors the same way, or worse!

It’s an eye-opener for the importance of having a decent food supply storage at home for preparedness. And, the importance of understanding the desperation that will be all around you regarding others who are really hungry.

Food for thought.

There's a difference between going without by choice and going without because foods not available. This story shows how people feel when there just running around and don't eat. This guy is trying imaging how people will feel when there's nothing TO eat.

Last edited:
There's a difference between going without by choice and going without because foods not available.

Agree, I think it would be worse being hungry because there isn't anything available. The added stress would make it worse, in of itself.

There's a difference between going without by choice and going without because foods not available. This story shows how people feel when there just running around and don't eat. This guy is trying imaging how people will feel when there's nothing TO eat.

That may be true emotionally, but it's not physically. Fasting is fasting. I have fasted as long as 7 days. Never felt a hunger pang, never felt a craving, never panicked for one second, never lost a single lb of muscle mass, etc. I did however lift weights, go to work, shovel snow, do chores, cook meals for the kids, etc.

But there is no doubt that someone mentally unprepared would panic under such circumstances. Which is why people should be fasting now, so they can learn it doesn't kill you and most of what people believe about not eating is untrue. Like how you will burn muscle or die within 30 days. There have been cases of people fasting for over a year. You just have to be fat (like many Americans) to pull it off for that long.

... You just have to be fat (like many Americans) to pull it off for that long.
I should be good for a couple of weeks!:LOL:
Eating is much more psychological than people think.
I only eat one meal a day (supper) and some days I'm not hungry and just skip it.
I used to get really hungry and eat tons of food when I worked. Since I retired and spend most of my time sitting on my butt, I get much better mileage:D.
Probably the main thing missing in their study is in a SHTF situation people will spend most of their time sitting or sleeping (watch the TV show 'Survivor' or some homeless people).
Preppers assume they will need the same food quantities as normal days in a disaster. This will not be the case. Half would probably be more than plenty.

Actually when I fast for 24 hours or longer, I have tons of energy. I do get hunger pangs (when I stop being busy), but I can ignore them and they go away. I have a few days fast coming up in the near future. I'll drink tea and coffee for my meals. I do 3-4 days for the benefits of cell autophagy once or twice per year. For the best anti cancer results, I understand that 7 days is the magic number but I haven't been able to hit that number yet. I fast when hubs goes on hunting and fishing trips b/c it's much easier not dealing with food at all. No grocery shopping, no food prep, no cleanup, no dishes. Plus, I get so much done around the house when I don't eat and he's not here. It's a win-win!

I do think it's an experiement that everyone should try. It's better to know how you'll feel when you do it by choice, as opposed to it not being a choice sometime down the line. I agree with Sentry in that I think the carb addicted junk food junkies would definitely feel it the most. However, after a couple of days they might realize it's not that bad. This is coming from a former junk food junkie.o_O

Last edited:
I have fasted as long as 7 days. Never felt a hunger pang, never felt a craving, never panicked for one second, never lost a single lb of muscle mass, etc.

Show off!:LOL: I've "fasted" before but never by choice. That's why I prep. So I don't have to worry about food again. Drinking water fills the belly and will calm hunger pains.

I do think it's an experiement that everyone should try. It's better to know how you'll feel when you do it by choice, as opposed to it not being a choice sometime down the line. I agree with Sentry in that I think the carb addicted junk food junkies would definitely feel it the most. However, after a couple of days they might realize it's not that bad. This is coming from a former junk food junkie addict.o_O
Back when I ate a lot, I would go on a diet when I hit my 'magic number' in body weight (maybe once every 2 years).
My mission was to make it as short as possible. 90 days, 40 pounds (yes, I know that is not healthy so don't even start). I started each diet with a 3-day fast to force my body over to using 'stored' energy (fat) instead of consumed calories. Between day 2 and 3 there was what I referred to as 'the wall'. The more carb-addicted I was, the harder the wall was.
Once I broke thru to the other side it was smooth sailing. Fasting is not the end of the world.
I think it shrank my stomach too. 600-800 calories a day of low-yield stuff filled me up after that.
The 90-day sentence every couple of years was a cheap price to pay to eat whatever I wanted the rest of the time:rolleyes:.
*This scheme is only about a half-notch better than being overweight and staying overweight for decades.

We also fast for a couple of meals for religious reasons and I am fine with that. I once went without food for 3 weeks, not by choice, and felt quite okay but did have water.

Not much on me in weight so probably wouldn't last as long as others and have a fast metabolism too. That is exactly why I prepare and have food storage.

if I run out of food I have failed as a prepper.

Fasting is not just for those without food, it's for those who want to ration out their food as long as possible and for those waiting for the next hunt, harvest, etc. It's just one more option to help a prepper survivor even longer.

Outside of survival, fasting is very important for our bodies, helps burn off stored glycogen, helps burn off body fat, helps with autophagy, increase testosterone and HGH, helps control blood sugar and insulin, is done for religious reasons, saves money, etc.

its not for me, we practice portion control.
people in general waste too much food.

Last edited:
Back