Sleep, when and how much

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i need a good 9 hours or im dragging. im a very light sleeper and used to wake up alot andhave trouble falling back asleep but got a white noise machine, that and a melatonin really made a difference.. i also have a small solar light on, i hate being in the dark,

I slept fine when I was really overweight. When I started losing, it changed my slow thyroid and it has been a balancing act ever since. Started on 200 mcg. and now on 75 mcg. I felt better on 50, but doctor said my numbers were too low. She says if I still am not getting much sleep in a couple of weeks, she will put me back on 50 anyway.
What I do now--400 mg of magnesium citrate, melatonin 10 mg, 1 zyrtec and restoril 22.5 mg.
I'm getting between 4 and 5.5 hours of sleep per night, getting up a couple of times.

I just don't seem to slow down well!

I'm getting between 4 and 5.5 hours of sleep per night, getting up a couple of times.

That's my problem. I just can't get my brain to 'shut up'.
I told the dr. that it was like a kid trying to fall asleep on Christmas-eve night thinking about everything that could be in all those boxes under the tree.:candycane:
1/2 of an Ambien works to shut it down. (it's a controlled-substance)
Up at 4:30 and I take the other half to get back asleep.
I don't recommend anyone do this, if you don't have to.:(

I wish I knew what was wrong with me. I can do 20 hours a day with no problem. I go to bed at 8:00pm and wake at about 7:00 am. Take my headache meds, eat something and i'm usually back in bed by 9:30 am. Sleep for a couple or a few hours stay up for a while and if nothing much is going on I'm back in bed by 4:00pm. Sleep for a while and up again to cook supper. In bed for the night again by 8:00pm. Some days it's even more. If my wife has gone somewhere, I will spend most of the day in bed.
BTW: I just turned 56 in February. I would love to feel my age!. I don't have any health coverage so I can't go to the doctor for a bunch of tests. Here just above the Triangle, healthcare is very expensive.

I wish I knew what was wrong with me. I can do 20 hours a day with no problem. I go to bed at 8:00pm and wake at about 7:00 am. Take my headache meds, eat something and i'm usually back in bed by 9:30 am. Sleep for a couple or a few hours stay up for a while and if nothing much is going on I'm back in bed by 4:00pm. Sleep for a while and up again to cook supper. In bed for the night again by 8:00pm. Some days it's even more. If my wife has gone somewhere, I will spend most of the day in bed.
BTW: I just turned 56 in February. I would love to feel my age!. I don't have any health coverage so I can't go to the doctor for a bunch of tests. Here just above the Triangle, healthcare is very expensive.
Lucky dog!
Somewhere California is missing a perfectly good homeless person. 🤪
I don't know how they do it, but they have absolutely no problem sleeping except when eating, drinking or pooping:
HY6FDBNWLZE6ZJJISRHX45GMC4.jpg

I would suck as a homeless person. 20 hours a day, me>
zombie.gif

I slept fine when I was really overweight. When I started losing, it changed my slow thyroid and it has been a balancing act ever since. Started on 200 mcg. and now on 75 mcg. I felt better on 50, but doctor said my numbers were too low. She says if I still am not getting much sleep in a couple of weeks, she will put me back on 50 anyway.
What I do now--400 mg of magnesium citrate, melatonin 10 mg, 1 zyrtec and restoril 22.5 mg.

Please read my original post, I do not get a lot of sleep, I do get quality sleep! My whole life I have been a very light sleeper. Can power nap, 5 to 15min, refreshing! Don't let anyone tell you that you need to change your sleeping habits unless they don't work for you! I love my quality sleep, do not want to sleep when I don't want to!

Cliff you'd be surprised how much you can learn from YouTube about most anything.Also Mato Clinic online. Hope you find some kind of way to help you.

we go to bed at 9pm and get up around 6am.

I love sleep. Too much to the point of making me feel sick sometimes. As much as I love it, I have to say that I'm most productive and energetic if I get around 7 or 8 hours of sleep. More than that and I feel sluggish and cranky all day. Less than that and my brain doesn't compute much of anything and I'm like a walking zombie.

I can't drink coffee anymore. It gives me palpitations. So I keep it to tea, no matter how exhausted I feel.

I can't do naps. If I do get one, it feels like interrupted sleep and...well, cranky. The times I've tried to nap turned into 3-4 hours of sleep, then I can't sleep later on. It's not worth it.

I sleep best in a cold room. Not cool or fresh. Cold. Even better if my body shivers from the cold. Then I can snuggle in and enjoy my sleep better. Heat and sleep don't go hand in hand for me. I know some people who love it 🤔 I don't get it, but okay..

I have always been a heavy sleeper. As I've gotten older I don't feel rested near as much. During the week I try to get in bed by 9:30 or 10, up by 5:30. But weekends depending on what I've got to do I'll sleep later, but we usually stay up late Friday and Saturday nights. I just don't do well with less than 7 hrs, 8-10 seems better. Room needs to be cold, dark, and quite.

I love sleep. Too much to the point of making me feel sick sometimes. As much as I love it, I have to say that I'm most productive and energetic if I get around 7 or 8 hours of sleep. More than that and I feel sluggish and cranky all day. Less than that and my brain doesn't compute much of anything and I'm like a walking zombie.

I can't drink coffee anymore. It gives me palpitations. So I keep it to tea, no matter how exhausted I feel.

I can't do naps. If I do get one, it feels like interrupted sleep and...well, cranky. The times I've tried to nap turned into 3-4 hours of sleep, then I can't sleep later on. It's not worth it.

I sleep best in a cold room. Not cool or fresh. Cold. Even better if my body shivers from the cold. Then I can snuggle in and enjoy my sleep better. Heat and sleep don't go hand in hand for me. I know some people who love it 🤔 I don't get it, but okay..
Awesome😁

Sometimes I sleep a little late & stay up most of the night, which throws off my sleep for days.
I have stayed up for 16 hours just to refocus on my schedule.
The more active I am the better I sleep.

Guessing I get about 4 or 5 hours per day. A line in the movie Roadhouse" if I recall said it best. "I'll have plenty of time to rest once I'm dead". I don't recall the exact statement but you get the idea.
Most times I am busy with the things needing done as well as work. I used to sleep a decent amount between school and work as a teenager but those days are long gone.

Started taking magnesium and after a couple or few weeks it helped me to sleep better.
But I forget to take extra supplements.
I do remember to take a chewable multi vitamin and Vit. D2. I still don't get enough sleep. I stay up too late. When I try to go to bed early, I can't get to sleep until my normal late time. Bummer. Then i usually wake up 5-6 hours later. If I don't have to get up for early work schedule I go back to sleep. That helps but is a time and day waster. Maybe when the house becomes emptier I will be able to go to sleep earlier and sleep later.

It's Sunday morning July 4th, I did laundry till 11 last night, got up this morning showered and then watered the garden, harvested squash and tomatoes, it is now 06:19. I need to run to Wmart to get some valves for my water barrels, some bay leaves for the wife (she puts them in with the dry pasta to keep bugs out), and might see if they have any burger patties. The wife made h-burger buns yesterday but we had already eaten the h-burger... I might pickup some chicken legs, I have been grilling them and then keeping a pot of them in the MAN CAVE fridge, I gently graze on them as I past. Sorry got off track. Yep I generally sleep between 4 and 6 hours, everyday....

I can stay awake 24 hours if my mind is active or fall asleep in a minute if I am bored

I've never required a lot of sleep. I'm an extremely light sleeper, and up many times at night. Also an early riser! Been like this my whole life. I have had people tell me it's not good and should try sleep aids. My sleep schedule works for me so that's not even a consideration. So I'm curious how much sleep others get? I'm also a 10min power napper!
I get anywhere from 4 to 8 during the weekdays, 9 to 10 on weekends. In the Army I would typically average 3-5 hours.

Latest posts

Back