Slight water leak from wood stove chimney.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a chimney as tall as yours above the roof, I'd be surprised if there was any heat left in the rising smoke.
Usually it only rains when the temps are above 35 or 40, cooler than that we still get snow. No problem at all for the heat to remain in the chimney for about 10 or 12 feet.
EDIT: If you were referring to the cold winter months, it rarely gets below 10* here and that would be only during a winter storm system passing by. Usual low temps in the early morning are above 20* and daytime temps barring a storm are close to 30 or above. The heat will rise.

In the summer months the sun will heat that pipe well over 130* and purge the hot air out the top. With about 20% humidity the air is very dry. Moisture would wick out rather fast, the chimney will cool at night and draw in cool dry air and repeat the heat process again the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb
We had a similar problem, and nothing seemed to be able to help. I tried to add more sealer and install more covering – nothing helped. There still was a leak every time it was raining, at least a little hard.
Thanks for the information. After I rebuilt the chimney it has been better but still leaking during good rain storms. On the plus side we haven't had much rain for the past 4 months so it hasn't leaked lately.

Update on my chimney issue.
We had decent amounts of rain on Monday and Tuesday. Monday was a bit windy but the rain wasn't super heavy and there was a little water dripping down from the chimney onto the wood stove. To refresh your memory, this is NOT leaking from the roof or through the hole in the roof for the chimney, it is somehow getting in between the inner and outer walls of the exterior chimney and then dripping into the decorative box where the stove pipe meats the drywall. There is no water getting to the plywood or ceiling insulation or to the drywall. It is just a drip from this decorative box where the screws connect the decorative box to the top of the stove pipe and the base of the chimney pipe..
On Tuesday, yesterday, we had heavy rain for about 8 hours but very little wind and there was no water dripping from the chimney. As I suspected, the wind is causing the rain to drive into the top area of the chimney pipe, under the chimney cap. Apparently I need to find a cap that will act like an umbrella but still let the heat/smoke escape.
Some day, but for now I am certain of the problem and it is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back