Slingshot hunting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one here hunt with a sling shot?
I haven't used one for a long time, but I used a Sling Shot when I was a Kid to hunt Rabbits and Squirrels, I even used it once to Kill Carp in a shallow Pond. A Sling Shot is very effective for small Game, and the more powerful ones can be used as a self defense Weapon in a pinch. A Sling Shot and a supply of Ball Bearings or Marbles should be in every Pack.

I haven't used one for a long time, but I used a Sling Shot when I was a Kid to hunt Rabbits and Squirrels, I even used it once to Kill Carp in a shallow Pond. A Sling Shot is very effective for small Game, and the more powerful ones can be used as a self defense Weapon in a pinch. A Sling Shot and a supply of Ball Bearings or Marbles should be in every Pack.

I agree I hunt with a slingshot a lot and with the right ammo it is a very devastating weapon I don't shoot tubes well I don't prefer tubes I will shoot them if that's all I have but I make flat bands and shoot them because they don't stack.
post-6475-0-84892400-1443390960_thumb.jpg
1222131710.jpg
0217131229a.jpg
Copy KIMG0548.jpg
IMG953404.jpg
post-6475-0-55935400-1422750910_thumb.jpg
IMG957889.jpg
IMG956531.jpg
8724-a4c545942227a801b80948df38304593.jpg

Attachments

• post-6475-0-43307100-1496019168_thumb.jpg
    post-6475-0-43307100-1496019168_thumb.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 7
Kudos to your makin' meat with a slingshot! I would love to know more about your slingshot ammo.

I shoot all kinds of ammo from clay balls to arrows
Marbles
Pana darts
Lead socket ammo
Lead balls
Lead skulls
Clay balls made from river clay
Rocks
Fish darts
Arrows
Mini arrows
Flachete darts
Hex nuts
Hex nuts filled with lead
209 primers
Washers glued together for a frag round
All thread nut washer nut

Thanks! I learned to shoot mine decades ago with rocks, which steepened the learning curve a bit more than shooting with marbles and steel balls. I soon learned how different shaped rocks would fly...

I can hit stationary targets really well, but need to practice more on moving objects, which is on my slingshot list of things to do.

I love to bowfish, and until I met you on the boards, I never thought of fishing with a slingshot before...

I would positively love to see a thread about that!!!!

Bishop has a great video on how to make your own slingshot rubber thingies that are far better than the ones you buy... Hopefully, he will do a thread about that, too!

I have had those storebought things go "bad" on me and break...in a pretty short period of time. (Maybe they sat on the store shelf for too long?) Not fun. I think if they are stored in an airtight bag in a cool dark place they will last longer.

Man, I haven't used a slingshot since I was a kid. I recall my dad was more concerned about me damaging the farm buildings/windows/tractors with a slingshot, than he was with the BB gun or the .22...

I've seen guys take squirrels and rats with slingshots, but never fish or frogs. It's a fascinating idea.

Well now! That just makes skeet look puny, lol!

That was incredible.

Get away from tubes and start shooting flat bands the tubes in wrist rockets are not all that good turn thep slingshot side ways and use the top of the fork to aim with.

Where did you buy the flat band material that you used in the video tutorial? (now where IS that video?? lol)

All it takes is practice.

Amen... Practice is the key… Long ago an employer transferred me to Buffalo NY in late summer. I rented a 3-bedroom house that had a full basement. Whoever poured the slab in the basement was a master concrete man. Anything dropped eventually ended up at the drain.

I only knew a couple of people… worked long hours. One day I was at a K-mart and saw a wrist rocket sling shot with ball bearing ammo. There was 5ft of snow in my yard… what the heck else did I have to do?

The basement was 50ft long… I set up a large cardboard box at one end and put a pepsi can on it. For the first few weeks I was doing good to hit the box, much less the can. It was easy to gather my ammo… it all ended up at the drain.

By spring I was killing squirrels in the back yard. From 35ft that wrist rocket was deadly! But I practiced about 4 nights a week, usually while my laundry was in the wash. After I put them in the dryer, I’d go upstairs and watch tv.

40 minutes… 3 or 4 nights a week… You will get there.

When I was a kid I had a great uncle that only hunted squirrels with a sling shot.... he was amazing... Once I saw him... over at his house, a cow had her head stuck through a fence trying to eat grass outside the pasture. He said "I'll clip her horn... she will yank her head back". He always had a slingshot in his pocket. He hit that cow's horn at about 50yards... If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.

Edited to add... he missed the first two shots... that 3rd shot, he had the range. For ammo, he was using gravel from his driveway.

Last edited:
The band material you can get online it's called theraband gold or Walmart has holds gym flat band exercise bandsor you can go to simple shots shooting sports and Nathan masters will sell you the whole set up if you want if he calling tell him ghost sent you

I have a several slingshots(we call them catapults) I have converted a couple to slingbows.
hunting with bows(of any kind) is illegal over here, all land is owned by someone and you have to have the land owners permission(if you don't own it yourself) preferably in writing.

They make a min slingshot rifle and a sling shot rifle that you can do that with.

Latest posts

Back