smoking ribs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Rub down well with your favorite rub. Rubs are a personal thing. We all like something a bit different. Some like a sweet rub, some like it hot, and some like it salty. I don’t like mine real sweet or real salty but I like a little bite at the tip of my tongue. Here’s mine:

Deejays Rib Dry Rub

1 teaspoon of salt

6 tablespoons chili Powder

4 tablespoons Ruby Red Paprika

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons Ground Cumin

2 tablespoons ground Coriander

2 tablespoons garlic Salt

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon white pepper

1 tablespoon basil

1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or brown sugar

3 tablespoons finely diced dried red bell pepper

Like I said rubs are based on personal taste so try my rub and add or subtract a bit of this and that until you get what is truly yours! I recommend experimenting with things like orange zest, tomato powder, crushed red pepper, Jalapeño pepper, chili peppers – have fun with it!

The 3-2-1 Rib Smoking Method

The 3-2-1 smoked rib method is a good way to smoke ribs that fall off the bone every time. It works well with spare ribs or the baby back style ribs. 3-2-1 is a kind of shorthand reminder of how long to do what.

The 3 stands for the first 3 hours that you smoke the ribs at between 230° and 250 °F with nothing but your favorite rub and smoke.

The 2 stands for the next 2 hours. Remove the ribs, spray them with apple juice, wrap them in foil and put them back on the smoker for 2 more hours.

The 1 stands for the last hour. Remove the foil and put them back on the smoker for 1 more hour. During this hour you can add a glaze or BBQ sauce if you wish.

To tell if their done just grab the ribs in the middle with tong and they should be able to bend and touch both rib tips together.

That’s it you should have falling off the bones ribs at this point. If you prefer ribs with a little more bite and not so falling off the bone like I do, adjust the time spent in the wrap down to less than 2 hours and add that time to the beginning or end of the smoke or don’t wrap them at all. For your first few racks of ribs though do it this way and get a idea what you results are going to be then adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Back