Snares

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hey folks,
I know there is info. about trapping and traps etc. What I don't seem to find is info about snares (no mechanical jaws). I will display my ignorance here for a minute: we have to have a license to trap. Is the same true for snaring? Also, any resources for types of snares - I'm thinking mostly small animals. It was pretty prevalent in the past, but I think I've only found one or two illustrations. Especially in a shtf situation, could be an extremely valuable skill and would preserve ammo. Most such skills are just good knowledge to have anyways.
Ideas?

I've never tried to use a snare...

My older brothers trapped a lot when I was small, but only with Conabears. I never tried it. It's my understanding that snares are kind of a low effort, low percentage endeavor. You're not that likely to succeed, but you don't have to put that much into it, either. As for me, since I've got no real knowledge or skill, I'll pass. The really edible small game in my area is cottontails and squirrels, and they're easily hunted with .22s, or airguns, with a pretty high success rate. So trapping doesn't seem that necessary...

I've done business with The Snare Shop and Kaatz Bros Lures. I bought a few snares of different styles to see how they are made. Then I bought snare components from them, slides, swivels, locks etc. Next I went to lowes and bought aircraft cable of different thicknesses and made my own snares.

If you can find them look for a video series on snaring by Slim Pederson. He covers all the basics on snaring.

Sitting up with dad tonight. When I get home tomorrow I'll photo some of my snares and the componets. Posting a series might help folks just starting out.

Last edited:
If you think you might ever use snares or traps learn and practice making them every time you have an opportunity. Take them down after you test them to see if they work. There are many different triggers and layouts that are determined by the size and habits of your target.

Hey folks,
I know there is info. about trapping and traps etc. What I don't seem to find is info about snares (no mechanical jaws). I will display my ignorance here for a minute: we have to have a license to trap. Is the same true for snaring? Also, any resources for types of snares - I'm thinking mostly small animals. It was pretty prevalent in the past, but I think I've only found one or two illustrations. Especially in a shtf situation, could be an extremely valuable skill and would preserve ammo. Most such skills are just good knowledge to have anyways.
Ideas?
Have no idea about Washington state but here, they sell them at my feed store. You don't need a license to use them for predator/nuisance animal control. AND... If it's a REAL SHTF situations, who cares about fish and game laws? They wouldn't exist anymore.

For the end times, a couple sizes of live traps might be handy. You could live trap wild animals and then raise them.
Unless you have the training and experience in handling wild animals and understand the specific needs of raising wild animals, that's a terrible idea for the majority of people. All wild animals will bite you every time they can and most species carry diseases that can be contracted by humans. The fleas and ticks on wild animals will transfer to humans when possible (dead or alive) and how will you contain the animal as well as feed it in a TEOTWAWKI situation? Species the size coyotes or bobcats and larger can kill humans if you get bit in the wrong spot, and animals the size wild hogs, deer, or bigger can kill humans fairly easily.

If you want to trap a wild species to raise after TEOTWAWKI, try wild game birds like pheasant, quail, turkey, etc.

Unless you have the training and experience in handling wild animals and understand the specific needs of raising wild animals, that's a terrible idea for the majority of people. All wild animals will bite you every time they can and most species carry diseases that can be contracted by humans. The fleas and ticks on wild animals will transfer to humans when possible (dead or alive) and how will you contain the animal as well as feed it in a TEOTWAWKI situation? Species the size coyotes or bobcats and larger can kill humans if you get bit in the wrong spot, and animals the size wild hogs, deer, or bigger can kill humans fairly easily.

If you want to trap a wild species to raise after TEOTWAWKI, try wild game birds like pheasant, quail, turkey, etc.
I guess I was thinking of rabbits mostly along with quail.

I guess I was thinking of rabbits mostly along with quail.
Careful with rabbits. They carry a couple different human transferable diseases (Alive and dead). Out in your area the fleas on many rabbits have tested positive for plague and hantavirus. A headache you don't need in a SHTF situation.

If you can, after gutting, hang the rabbits out in the cold for a couple hours for the fleas and ticks to abandon ship. You should also wear gloves while handling them.

Just a suggestion.

Dale

Snares or the triggers for snares can be a useful tool and skill to learn. I have used them to scare critters out of the garden using a bungee like a spring to throw things or rattle cans. I and see where having the makings could be useful if things got difficult.

They could allow you to gather meat without being too visible (Assuming you could set and harvest at night).

They could also be used to create alarm systems to locate unwelcome visitors....

Careful with rabbits. They carry a couple different human transferable diseases (Alive and dead). Out in your area the fleas on many rabbits have tested positive for plague and hantavirus. A headache you don't need in a SHTF situation.

If you can, after gutting, hang the rabbits out in the cold for a couple hours for the fleas and ticks to abandon ship. You should also wear gloves while handling them.

Just a suggestion.

Dale
I will not be raising any animal for meat. I have hundreds of very tasty elk and some antelope here to eat.
My problem would be getting rid of the wolves that Fish & Game were kind enough to stock here. They would be impossible to get rid of now that they are established.

I will not be raising any animal for meat. I have hundreds of very tasty elk and some antelope here to eat.
My problem would be getting rid of the wolves that Fish & Game were kind enough to stock here. They would be impossible to get rid of now that they are established.
Wolves are far easier to get rid of than coyotes when the gloves are off (legally speaking). If you can get access to a dog collar tracker, catch one wolf, collar it and release it. You follow it back to the pack and liquidate. If your unable to do that, gang set in circles around a recent kill out to 100 - 150 yards away. Use no bait or lure at these sets. You have to understand where wolves go and why they do what they do to be successful. Where ever you see a wolves track (especially multiple tracks over each other) set a trap with the pan exactly where the track is or hang snares. Blend it well so it looks natural. Also make scent post sets along the wolves travel paths but use coyote or dog urine. This makes wolves aggressive so they are less cautious. Never get close to a wolves kill. They will smell you and possibly spook. Learn what you can now about the behavior of the animals you want to trap and it makes it easier when trapping. I've been trapping over 45 years now. Some as a fur trapper amateur and and professional and 10 years as a government trapper.

Around here the wolves don’t spook. Hubby went around a corner this spring on his dirt bike (motorcycle) and T-boned one. He went A** over teakettle and wolf went about 10 yards off and stopped and stared at him. He grabbed his bike and got out ASAP. Stopped up the trail a ways to make sure he wasn’t hurt etc.
In a drastic situation, dog meat might taste alright. Natives raised dogs for meat not as pets. Wolves are big - a lot of meat.
Also, we have raised wild pigs. They are mean but tasty. Dad shot (legally) the sow then found the piglets so caught them and brought them home. He wasn’t going to leave them there to starve to death or be coyote bait.
All said, I was thinking smaller critters when I started the thread. I do like that various points like this usually come to light unexpectedly though.

There are specific kinds of traps that are used to capture animals but rarely snares. Snares should be a humane death.

There are specific kinds of traps that are used to capture animals but rarely snares. Snares should be a humane death.
Snaring is popular and common in many states and Canada. You can carry a dozen snares for the weight of one steel trap.

There are 4 types of modern steel snare and 2 of them only detain the animal. The snares you mention have what's called non-relaxing locks or are spring assisted in some form. Set correctly, they kill the target animal by suffocation with minutes.

Snares with relaxing locks only detain the animal. In some states, such as WV my home state there are regulations that require trappers to have what's called deer stops (which only allow the snare to close to a certain diameter) and/or breakaway devices on snares.

Foot snares are the 2nd type of non lethal snare and are primarily used on larger animals. Snaring animals like bears is not legal for non government agents in most states.

Dale

I've never tried to use a snare...

My older brothers trapped a lot when I was small, but only with Conabears. I never tried it. It's my understanding that snares are kind of a low effort, low percentage endeavor. You're not that likely to succeed, but you don't have to put that much into it, either. As for me, since I've got no real knowledge or skill, I'll pass. The really edible small game in my area is cottontails and squirrels, and they're easily hunted with .22s, or airguns, with a pretty high success rate. So trapping doesn't seem that necessary...
Spike there’s no low percentage about it if you understand how to use them set on a log crossover it’s actually super easy. There are a whole bunch like that. Anything that forces an animal to be in a small area. That log over the brook, the fence that’s lifted up, a beaver slide, another pretty easy way if you’d like to catch canines for instance. Make a path in somewhat deep snow with a quad, truck, whatever and set in the tracks. There’s plenty of ways you just gotta think like a snare guy.

Spike there’s no low percentage about it if you understand how to use them set on a log crossover it’s actually super easy. There are a whole bunch like that. Anything that forces an animal to be in a small area. That log over the brook, the fence that’s lifted up, a beaver slide, another pretty easy way if you’d like to catch canines for instance. Make a path in somewhat deep snow with a quad, truck, whatever and set in the tracks. There’s plenty of ways you just gotta think like a snare guy.
Pictures please 😁

I’m sorry lady locust I don’t have any I’m not a big personal type picture taker and I lost my phone a couple years back. Most my pics are of kids or something that was real special.
To qualify you, it’s been a couple years since I snared as well. Any pics from than would be special. A few years back I had a brain tumor. Had to learn to walk, talk, feed myself and bathe again. As I learned to walk again it was real hard to pick my feet over things. My equilibrium was bad.
Anyhow walking even a slight grade on grass was brutal. I got sticks and forced myself. Snaring was something I’d done as it forced me to walk a small set I had around house. There was only one neighbor within 1/4 mile and there were none for miles behind me. At night I could hear the coyotes while in house.
Being I’m not big personal accomplishment guy I don’t keep many pictures of myself nor if I did I’d typically not keep them long. The phone had some in there when I lost it. I actually did snare some coyote that year. Was about 3 years ago. Anyhow I’ve been deer hunting and running bird dogs rabbit hounds mostly lately. My only involvement w snaring since then was making some last week for a friend.
Sorry for the long post. I know you all don’t know me. I don’t want you to think I’m embellishing anything. I’m sorry

I’m sorry lady locust I don’t have any I’m not a big personal type picture taker and I lost my phone a couple years back. Most my pics are of kids or something that was real special.
To qualify you, it’s been a couple years since I snared as well. Any pics from than would be special. A few years back I had a brain tumor. Had to learn to walk, talk, feed myself and bathe again. As I learned to walk again it was real hard to pick my feet over things. My equilibrium was bad.
Anyhow walking even a slight grade on grass was brutal. I got sticks and forced myself. Snaring was something I’d done as it forced me to walk a small set I had around house. There was only one neighbor within 1/4 mile and there were none for miles behind me. At night I could hear the coyotes while in house.
Being I’m not big personal accomplishment guy I don’t keep many pictures of myself nor if I did I’d typically not keep them long. The phone had some in there when I lost it. I actually did snare some coyote that year. Was about 3 years ago. Anyhow I’ve been deer hunting and running bird dogs rabbit hounds mostly lately. My only involvement w snaring since then was making some last week for a friend.
Sorry for the long post. I know you all don’t know me. I don’t want you to think I’m embellishing anything. I’m sorry
Wow! First, kudos on getting yourself back "up and running" again. Many would just become a lump. Sounds like you are the type I like learning from ;) There are so many things that are best learned by doing, seeing, and experiencing. I think snares are one of those things - at least for me.

@joel Hi there Joel - you mentioned traps and snares over in the trading after SHTF thread so I am just tagging you here to ask if you have any resources for snares. I do have a book on knots - am I the only one who gets a kick out of tying different knots? Anyhoo, would still like to find a few snare illustrations and for which kind of critter - 2 or 4 footed.

We used a rabbit box, which is a live trap, I was told to make the trap in spring or Summer & leave it in the woods to fade human scent.
Then in late Fall after the first hard Frost, set the trap with vegetables. There are two reason for waiting until after a hard frost:
1) Warbles are the larval stage of the botfly is in wild rabbits until late in the year, I was told after frost the larval have lift the rabbits & deer.
2) there is less greens for the wild rabbits, so they will enter the trap.
3)Never trap rabbits in Spring, if you kill a mother then you kill next years crops.
https://www.instructables.com/Rabbit-Box-Trap/

If you have more money then skill/time:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sna...AhXzDzQIHSXyC_MQ1TV6BQgBEO4B&biw=1455&bih=688trapper bible: https://www.google.com/search?q=sna...AhXzDzQIHSXyC_MQ1TV6BQgBEO4B&biw=1455&bih=688

I dug clams once with a ribbon pry bar & a five gallon bucket. No cherry clams(small tender), just chowder heads(large for chowder).
I got a full bucket, made white clam chowder, & gave a mess away to a friend. Look for a hole in the sand, about the size of pencil lead on the sand or bubbles in water during low tide. People also use rakes in a foot of water, but I never did that.

Latest posts

Back