Sneaking more veges into meals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, it's that time of year again when I try to get creative with food. I try like crazy to sneak in more veges. Optimally, I like to have at least half of any meal to be veges. I'd like to hear some more ideas about how to sneak more veges in without a bunch of other stuff. I'm dragging out cookbooks and picking up things at the store (mostly frozen) that I haven't tried before to give them a shot. I'll post some of my old standbys, so maybe they can help someone else.

We like broccoli salad and it keeps a long time. I don't add as much mayo or miracle whip as the recipe calls for and I go heavy on the broccoli and purple onion b/c that's how we like it. I also add dried cherries or cranberries if I have them on hand or don't have raisins. I also use the fake sugar (confectioners swerve) to reduce the carbs. Typically I make the mayo mixture the night before and let it sit in the frig overnight so that it marinates with the vinegar, but it's not necessary if you're in a hurry. Some people also add shredded carrots to it or diced ham. It's easy to adjust this recipe to your own tastes and to what you have on hand.

Broccoli Salad
* 2 bunches broccoli
* 1 small red onion
* 1 cup raisins
* 1 cup sunflower seeds
* 1 pound bacon
* 1 cup miracle whip
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup sugar
Mix the miracle whip, vinegar, and sugar into a smooth mixture and let marinate in frige. Cut broccoli into bite size pieces. Add chopped onions, raisins, seeds and bacon. Add smooth mixure onto broccoli salad and stir until mixed through and serve.

The last time I was at Aldi I picked up one of these bags of stir fry. I made it a couple of nights ago and it was good. The next time I won't use all of the sauce that comes with it and I'll add some pre-cooked chunks of chicken. I'll probably also only do a half bag since the full bag was too much for just the two of us.

1609348561108.png

I also just started using spaghetti squash in lieu of actual spaghetti. Spaghetti squash will keep for a long time. I keep it in the garage until I'm ready to use it. I cut it lengthwise (very carefully) and take the seeds out. I put it in a glass pan with some water and coer it with saran wrap and nuke it for about 10 minutes or so, although you can also bake it. Then I just take a fork and start raking it thru the squash to create my spaghetti. I put the squash on the plate and add my spaghetti sauce that I make on the stove to it and top with mozeralla and nuke it until the cheese melts. The squash is pretty wattery, so I usually drain the water off the plate before serving. It's filling and doesn't leave me with that carb coma after eating it.

I like these for a treat when I have the 'fried food' craving. These cauliflower tots are great in the air fryer!
1609349221740.png

I also get the bags of already chopped cabbage at Aldi to make cole slaw with. I just add a small amount of the Kraft cole slaw dressing. It's a bit boring, but it's cheap and it's something different now and again.

I also buy Claussen pickles. They are sooooo good and are a perfect compliment to a burger or chicken. They are a bit pricey but they are worth it. We treat them as a side dish.

I always have bags of lettuce in the frige and frozen green beans or broccoli to put in the steamer. I also like a lot of the frozen mixed vege bags that are offered with different types of veges to mix things up once in a while and shop different stores for different offerings.

For evening snacks, I try to lean towards something of nutritous value, so I often go for popcorn. I really don't like microwave popcorn anymore after I have used my Whirley pop for years. It's just as fast and I don't worry about unwanted chemicals or additives......not to mention it tastes 100% better than microwave popcorn! I use a couple of tablespoons or so of Coconut oil on medium heat and then add in 1/2 cup of fresh popcorn with 1/4 tsp of flavacol. It makes a whole kettle of popcorn with leftovers, which the pups LOVE. We usually top it with a butter topping as well.

1609349739504.png

I have a Presto air popper that I should get out of storage and just use that. If it's hot out of the popper, it's quite good without all the added oils and flavorings and would be a good source of extra fiber.

Last edited:
I make popcorn as a snack too. Just a small amount of coconut oil and no butter just salt. The girls love it and it is so much better for you than microwave poppy-corn. Less old maids as well.

I snack on steamed and raw veggies during the day. Carrots, celery, cucumbers and sugar peas. I actually don't like fruit. I eat it because we should but I think fruit is gross. I try to eat it when it is served at a meal to be polite. Juju might end up being the same way. She doesn't like fruit but she doesn't like veggies either.

Like AH (but I think she does lots more than me) I dehydrate quite a bit. I’ve been crumbling dried kale into quite a few of our dishes lately. It’s a good way to get more greens without overwhelming the plate. I also use a lot of herbs. And one other thing is spaghetti squash instead if pasta. I cook it then dehydrate it then it cooks up in about 15 minutes like pasta on busy evenings and the texture is better after it’s dehydrated.

Like AH (but I think she does lots more than me) I dehydrate quite a bit. I’ve been crumbling dried kale into quite a few of our dishes lately. It’s a good way to get more greens without overwhelming the plate. I also use a lot of herbs. And one other thing is spaghetti squash instead if pasta. I cook it then dehydrate it then it cooks up in about 15 minutes like pasta on busy evenings and the texture is better after it’s dehydrated.
What a neat idea! Considering the water content, I'd imagine it takes a while to dehydrate? What temperature do you use for dehydration? Do you reconstitute just like spaghetti or does it not take as long? Do you dehydrate zucchini as well? Zucchini has the same problem as squash.......lots of water content, which can make it difficult to cook with.

Here's a keto thread that also has some good ideas. I posted a zucchini tot recipe on page 3 that I use too. I won't repost b/c it's in that thread.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/keto-recipes-and-meal-ideas.109/page-3
Shrimp fettucine with zucchini
* 4 cups zucchini (spiralized)
* 4 mushrooms
* 1/2 onion
* 12 or 16 oz. shrimp
* 2 Tbsp butter
* splash of olive oil
* garlic salt, salt, and pepper
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
* 3 Tbsp parsley
Spiralize 3 small zucchini's and press between paper towels to soak up water. The drier the zucchini, the better. Set zucchini aside.
Get small fry pan and cut up onions and mushroom and sautee in pan with butter or olive oil. Put the onions in first for a few minutes before adding mushrooms so as not to overcook the mushrooms. Set aside when mushrooms are done to your desired texture.
As you are sauteeing onions, put package of shrimp in large fry pan (water and all) and heat with a splash of olive oil (or butter) and add pepper and garlic salt to taste. Remove shrimp when cooked through and dump in bowl and set aside. Add 1 Tbsp butter to hot pan with 1/4 cup heavy cream and 3 cloves minced garlic and bring to a simmer. Stir in 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese, 3 Tbsp parsley, and sauteed onions/mushrooms while stirring. Return cooked shrimp to skillet and add 4 cups zucchini and toss until heated though and serve.

With the above recipe, I add quite a bit of garlic salt b/c we like it. It also helps to add flavor to the zucchini. This recipe does not keep well if you have too much so I always make it as a main dish. It helps to quell hubs fettuccini alfredo craving without all the pasta. You can also top with a bit of parm cheese before serving.

Wife makes Brussels Sprouts, she half's them and coats them with Balsamic vinegar, places them on a baking pan cut side up, adds some cheese, and fried beacon: she pops them in the oven at 350 and takes them out before they burn.

She makes a Waldorf salad and adds broccoli (finely cut crowns) to it. Very similar to @angie_nrs 's broccoli salad, but with slices of apple and pineapple in it. I tell her it needs cauliflower, but she is disinclined to acquiesce to my request. Means "no".

She has made lasagna by replacing the noodles with thinly sliced squash and eggplant that wasn’t bad.

Tonight she is making stuffed grape leaves.... I'm still debating that one ;)

Latest posts

Back