So I have this old skinning knife I got in my teens...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've never let it rust, but for some reason it's pitting, like a layer of steel is separating from the blade any ideas? should I just sand it and polish it and go on
or toss it. its worth in the area of 30$ to a collector. This isn't my knife, but it is the same kind.

Attachments

• 320599901525.jpg
    320599901525.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 14
I've never let it rust, but for some reason it's pitting, like a layer of steel is separating from the blade any ideas? should I just sand it and polish it and go on
or toss it. its worth in the area of 30$ to a collector. This isn't my knife, but it is the same kind.
Could post an image of your knife showing the affected areas?

Ben

So I asked Hubby who is a blacksmith & metal fabricator. He said without seeing it, it could be sanded & polished, but you need to figure out what is causing the pitting. If it's not been rusted, the only other thing that comes to mind is chemicals. So if it's kept near a pool or hot tub or some other area where there are chemicals in the air, they can damage the metal. You don't need to throw it out if it still holds an edge.

A tad beyond steel wool. some 200 grit and a buffer should do it. I think my issue started when I sprayed it with silicone
instead of using oil.

is it a westen or west cut? should have the company name and where manufactured on the ricasso

Latest posts

Back