So What is Your Plan?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Family changes things.

Picking up and moving my wife and myself to a nice remote strategic location so our odds are improved for a POSSIBLE disaster and distance us from FAMILY is not something I would consider.
Yes. Some of the people that live a wonderful 'independent life' never think about: "When I am 80 and can no longer do all this stuff, how will I survive?"
Yes, age happens.
Family, becomes essential.:)

I suspect MANY look at the "BIG PICTURE". However, many are "constrained" by circumstances/life choices/employment/medical care/family, etc etc etc. Some have the freedom to go where they wish, others have to provide for a family, etc. We all make the choices we deem best, they may not agree with other peoples choices.

Very well said. Count me in with the beer and radios group. I will bring a full cooler, a couple of radios, and a nice stash of good cigars. If this is my Alamo, so be it. This is where we will make our stand.

Very well said. Count me in with the beer and radios group. I will bring a full cooler, a couple of radios, and a nice stash of good cigars. If this is my Alamo, so be it. This is where we will make our stand.
Cigars is a whole thread on its own, my "humidor" is a Coleman Cooler a friend fished out of the trash :)

Cigars is a whole thread on its own, my "humidor" is a Coleman Cooler a friend fished out of the trash :)

That'll work. :thumbs: I have been twice blessed to have a very close friend who shares my love of cigars, and a very good cigar bar with a great selection and good prices close to my house. We are on a first name basis with the owner. Definitely one of those "sins of the flesh" of which I am guilty as charged. 😈

Not a tobacco man myself, though I used to occasionally smoke Marlboro Reds when I was in my 20s & 30s, and only when I was drunk, lol. I'm not one of those "Smoking Nazis" who gets all butthurt when somebody lights up, though I ask guests who smoke to do so on the front porch... same place I take my occasional bong hits. It's all about the animals, really, I don't like our home to be filled with smoke. Most folks are reasonable about smoking on the porch. In public, if somebody lights up near me, I just shift position to windward, no big deal. With some of them thar stanky cigars, I'd wanna be WELL upwind, lol. Just a lighthearted dig at alla youse cigar smokers... now, fire up them Havanas!!! ;)

P.S. I'm probably dating myself here, but do any of you recall that ad on TV so long ago, maybe in the '70s or early '80s? The one where some gal says something like, "I THOUGHT HARRY GAVE UP CIGARS!" Another obnoxious visitor says, "FISH FOR DINNER AGAIN, DEAR?" I think it was an ad for some sort of air freshener, I can't remember, too much has happened since those days, lol. But I can hear that one obnoxious gal's voice saying, "I THOUGHT MORGAN GAVE UP CIGARS!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :cool:

Oh, yeah, I should add that I DO resent when somebody lights up near hazardous materials, especially flammable gas and flammable liquids, and even more especially when I'm standing nearby. I lost a good gubmint (city) job in Benson over some idiot inmate who used to light up near a 1000-gallon gasoline tank, as well as smaller containers of fuel including AvGas. I asked the guy nicely a dozen times NOT to do this, but he kept doing it to p!$$ me off, and one day it worked... he lit up near some fuel containers in the maintenance barn, and I hollered at him, "NO SMOKING IN THE BARN, D!CKHEAD!!!" :mad:

Despite the MAJOR OSHA VIOLATION, that cost me my job and an excellent Arizona state retirement package (the city was on the same plan). God forbid I hurt the poor inmate's feelings while he endangered the lives of EVERYONE in the workplace... including his own, the idiot. The city used inmate crews out on the course, you understand, I never really dealt with 'em except for when they were back at the barn. I haven't wrapped my head around that whole fiasco yet, and I don't believe I ever will. But I used to haul Class 3 Flammable Liquids for one trucking outfit (among other HM), so perhaps I'm sensitive toward the issue. Doesn't mean guests can't light up on my porch... :confused:

A final observation upon the smoking fiasco: one week, the mayor of Benson is shaking my hand for cleaning up the filthy shop (worst I'd ever seen) and getting the fleet of gasoline-powered golf carts up & running strongly... the next week, there's no sign of the wanker as the fiasco unfolded. Typical scumbag politician. 💩

Last edited:
Not a tobacco man myself, though I used to occasionally smoke Marlboro Reds when I was in my 20s & 30s, and only when I was drunk, lol. I'm not one of those "Smoking Nazis" who gets all butthurt when somebody lights up, though I ask guests who smoke to do so on the front porch... same place I take my occasional bong hits. It's all about the animals, really, I don't like our home to be filled with smoke. Most folks are reasonable about smoking on the porch. In public, if somebody lights up near me, I just shift position to windward, no big deal. With some of them thar stanky cigars, I'd wanna be WELL upwind, lol. Just a lighthearted dig at alla youse cigar smokers... now, fire up them Havanas!!! ;)

P.S. I'm probably dating myself here, but do any of you recall that ad on TV so long ago, maybe in the '70s or early '80s? The one where some gal says something like, "I THOUGHT HARRY GAVE UP CIGARS!" Another obnoxious visitor says, "FISH FOR DINNER AGAIN, DEAR?" I think it was an ad for some sort of air freshener, I can't remember, too much has happened since those days, lol. But I can hear that one obnoxious gal's voice saying, "I THOUGHT MORGAN GAVE UP CIGARS!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :cool:

Oh, yeah, I should add that I DO resent somebody who lights up near hazardous materials, especially flammable gas and flammable liquids, and even more especially when I'm standing nearby. I lost a good gubmint (city) job in Benson over some idiot inmate who used to light up near a 1000-gallon gasoline tank, as well as smaller containers of fuel including AvGas. I asked the guy nicely a dozen times NOT to do this, but he kept doing it to p!$$ me off, and one day it worked... he lit up near some fuel containers in the maintenance barn, and I hollered at him, "NO SMOKING IN THE BARN, D!CKHEAD!!!" :mad:

Despite the MAJOR OSHA VIOLATION, that cost me my job and an excellent Arizona state retirement package (the city was on the same plan). God forbid I hurt the poor inmate's feelings while he endangered the lives of EVERYONE in the workplace... including his own, the idiot. The city used inmate crews out on the course, you understand, I never really dealt with 'em except for when they were back at the barn. I haven't wrapped my head around that whole fiasco yet, and I don't believe I ever will. But I used to haul Class 3 Flammable Liquids for one trucking outfit (among other HM), so perhaps I'm sensitive toward the issue. Doesn't mean guests can't light up on my porch... :confused:

A final observation upon the smoking fiasco: one week, the mayor of Benson is shaking my hand for cleaning up the filthy shop (worst I'd ever seen) and getting the fleet of gasoline-powered golf carts up & running strongly... the next week, there's no sign of the wanker as the fiasco unfolded. Typical scumbag politician. 💩

Wingnut, I agree with you 100%. Cigar smoking is an outdoor sport. I never smoke inside my own house, or inside anybody else's house. It is always on the patio. In fact 99% of the time it is in the cigar bar. I'm not sure if I even know anybody who smokes cigarettes anymore. All of the people we know have given it up, and there are very few public places that allow it. Maybe it is allowed in bars, but most restaurants don't allow it, so you seldom have to sit near somebody who lights up.

History says we will have hard times.....I thought it was going to happen in the 60's 70's etc etc. So here we are, getting much too old for this stuff and it looks like it really is going to happen. I have a good pile of firewood ready to burn, food stored and some younger and older friends. We will see what happens and if it gets too bad those cases of booze I have stored for "barter" will do me just fine for one last party.

I've gathered the things and built the infrastructure to live without the use of power. Was done for thousands of years so why not just plan for that.

doesnt take much to have a bit of light for night. it can be in many forms and you dont have to light it up like new york city. from candles to lamp lights to a little solar to simple solar with little panel and just a few feet of string/rope lights to headlamps etc.

as people age and even before they have to wrap their heads around medical emergencies at night. going to render aid to mate in dark? notice lots of medical stuff happens in dark to older folks.

no going out at night here without some type of light..rattlers and copperheads...killed a bunch within 20 feet of home too.

Part of me says I'll be fine. Then the other part screams with laughter at my naivety. I suppose in conversations like these, I think back to 'The Road', and ask myself will I want to survive?
I'd miss coffee, but not much else. Once my immediate family are here and I have books I'll deal with stuff as it happens. My biggest fear is other people- either interfering or being aggressive.

Meh. MY plan:
I have food, weapons, ammo, and skills. I have fuel unless I have to run for my life and cold weather gear and means to keep warm.due to my health, I have no delusions, I'll be going down, but I won't go easy or quiet.

Saw this so thought I'd share, just in case. . .
1670277361356.png

Latest posts

Back