Soap from Plants

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Phosphates- the short version

Phosphate mining began in Florida in the 1880's. Phosphates are in many of our foods... for instance they are used to make sodas but they are also in most livestock food supplements especially for the commercial poultry industry (chicken and turkey). So, they end up on our table one way or another...

This is sort of strange because they also dominate our kitchen sink, washing machine and bath tub. Phosphates are heavily used in detergents... consumer laundry detergents and dish washing detergents at the top of that list. Basically, phosphates took over the worlds soap industry by the early 1900’s and still dominate it today.

Soap prior to Phosphates

In merry old England (and later N. America) commercial laundry was a big business in cities. Typically, women were hired to scrub laundry on washboards using large tubs, vats, streams, ponds etc.

In England long ago these women were affectionately known as “Bouncing Bets”. As it happens there was a plant native to europe that was used to make soap commercially or grown by individual families. Of course, it was later transplanted to N. America where it grows wild to this day. This plant has a high content of Saponins (soap).

Here in the US many people also grow this colorful flowering plant in their flower gardens though its history is long forgotten. I saw it for sale last spring at lowes in the garden department. Its seed can easily be purchased or ordered on the net or from garden centers everywhere.

This plant is “Bouncing Bet” aka “Saponaria officinalis” aka “Soapwort”.

I have never used soapwort soap but I know a couple of people personally who have. It's a very gentle, fine for even the most delicate clothes as well as our skin, yet powerful.

Somewhere in one of my books are two ways to process soapwort. One to produce powder, the other a liquid form. I couldn't find it tonight... So, from the net…

Links to make your own...

https://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-make-organic-soap-using-soapwort.html

https://forageporage.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/my-friend-soapwort/

https://www.motherearthliving.com/natural-health/saponaria-officinalis-growing-soapwort

If you can't make your own you can also buy soapwort powder but it is pricey.

https://www.herbco.com/p-287-soapwort-root-powder.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Soapwort-Root-Powder-Wildcrafted-officinalis/dp/B0032K0Z1O

When I first leaned of soapwort I went searching for it growing wild. It took me about a week driving dozens of miles of back roads... I found it growing in a few places... one location was on the side of road under a power line. 1st pic…

Too funny... After my triumphant search I stopped to check on my dad. I found soapwort growing in my elderly mother’s flower bed! o_O 2nd pic…

It blooms profusely in midsummer, the colors range from white to pale blue to purple to pink and any combination thereof.

Bouncing Bet (1)_v1.jpg
Bouncing Bet (2)_v1.jpg

North America has another plant genus loaded with saponins (soap)… Yucca. Yucca grows all over the continental US and as far north as the arctic circle. There are more than dozen species.

The most common species I see in the southeast is Yucca filamentosa aka Adams Needle. 2 pics…

Medicinal properties… Saponins also have steroid like property… meaning, if I had a badly sprained ankle I would crawl to the first plant I could find that contained saponins… I would pound the roots into pulp, make a poultice and tie it on my ankle. It would reduce swelling and some of the pain.

There is another reason Adams Needle got its name. The tips of its long leaves are extremely hard, like a needle. They will cut you bad enough to bring the blood. The edges of the leaves have tough thread like cords. It’s needle and thread readymade, perfect for stitching up clothes or wounds.

adams needle 01 (1)_v1.jpg
adams needle 01 (3).jpg

Edited to add... A very young adams needle, you can see the white threads peeling off the edges of the leaves.

adams needle 01 (4)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the procedures to process yucca and soapwort so no worries there, simple stuff. I just want to be sure there is plenty growing close by if I ever need either. Its like storing a large amount of soap long term. Only it doesn't require a box or a roof, it grows on it's own every year ready for when I am.

I also want to get some prickly pear growing here. There are several huge plants a couple of miles away. I'd feel better knowing it's growing here on the farm.

Last edited:
I have known about soapwort but have never tried using it. I did not know that yucca could also be used. We don't have phosphates in our home. I make our soaps - the process is saponification, but you probably knew that. I might get some phosphates indirectly via the occasional piece of chicken I eat but usually get "natural or organic." (Though I'm aware those labels are meaning less and less.). Thanks for the resources. I will have to check into them.

What plants can you get salt from?

@LadyLocust
I’ve helped make lye soap as a kid and seen it done in the last few years. I have heard the term saponification but have not researched it. Can you give us a little mini-course or a little more detail? :)

@LadyLocust
I’ve helped make lye soap as a kid and seen it done in the last few years. I have heard the term saponification but have not researched it. Can you give us a little mini-course or a little more detail? :)
It is just the chemical reaction that occurs between the lye and the oils that "deactivates" the lye (makes it non-harmful.) The side effect or result is slippery and sudsy which happens to be great for carrying dirt particles. I can't really speak to the specific molecular make up, but kinda like both hydrogen and oxygen being highly flammable gases but stick them together and they are required for life :). Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back