Soil building over winter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken, rabbit, hog, horse, cow manure, I have not used human waste yet, maybe after SHTF.
I use leaves,straw, hay, dry & green grass/weeds,corn cob & stalk & other garden waste,
coffee chaff, coffee beans, wood dust, bark chips & kitchen scraps.
I worked with a gardener who grind up pine cones, it made nice mulch, took 3 years to totally rot.
I never ran chickens over winter mulch, most of the insect are helper in making compost into soil.
Plus I grow all for seasons.

Chicken, rabbit, hog, horse, cow manure, I have not used human waste yet, maybe after SHTF.
I use leaves,straw, hay, dry & green grass/weeds,corn cob & stalk & other garden waste,
coffee chaff, coffee beans, wood dust, bark chips & kitchen scraps.
I worked with a gardener who grind up pine cones, it made nice mulch, took 3 years to totally rot.
I never ran chickens over winter mulch, most of the insect are helper in making compost into soil.
Plus I grow all for seasons.

Yeah they do, but it curves the feed bill a bit. :)

Mine is mostly clay. I've been putting leaves on it since we moved here. But we didn't have but just a few trees for many years. It's helping, but the chickens would add so much more.
I have seen people drive around and collect bags of leaves that people leave out and take them home for their garden. I have added leaves to my garden beds for years. I can tell a huge difference in the places that have had more than those that have not. Clay needs lots of amending to make it worth gardening.

I am guilt of stealing some of those bags of leaves in the side of the road. :) I normally garden year round, but this last season I took off. What I normally do is when a winter crop is done and I am changing over to spring, I will take old hay and put on my raised bed then layer it with compost that has been sitting up. I do save organic material to add into my compost along with leaves, wood ash, manure from the cow and goat barns and the chicken coop. I used to be able to save more kitchen scraps but now they normally go to the pigs. When I go to plant I just make a hole where the hay layer is to get to the soil. Once the plants start coming up I mulch the row.

Been using leaves,old hay, horse & cow manure for fifty year,nothing better.
I now use coffee waste, too.

Latest posts

Back