Solar Cell Phone Chargers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon

In Remembrance Jan 2024
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have one, and have never gotten it to work properly. The flashlight works. It has a dandy cigarette lighter if anyone smoked. It has never charged my phone.

I broke down and bought a Goal Zero charger; basically a rechargeable battery that will charge your phone twice before it has to be recharged. I used it once, and it worked like a champ.

The nice thing is that it's small and portable. The charging rate is very small however. We use the portable (folding) type like Goal Zero. Goal Zero is nice because they are more versatile but they are pricey. We have a couple of Goal Zero 7.5 watts, another brand (2 of them) in 15 watts and another one that puts out 25 watts. All will do a great job charging phones, tablets, etc. They are much faster. The small ones don't work well unless you have lots of bright sun.

It has never charged my phone.
The nice thing is that it's small and portable. The charging rate is very small however.
I find that my car charger is very slow to charge my phone as well. I charge my phone overnight, every night, but once in a while, especially when traveling, it depletes the battery more quickly due to roaming.

I have one but unlike the one you linked mine folds out into 4-5 panels. It works but is not very fast. I have been looking at those wind/water chargers you can hang in a tree or throw in the stream.

Something to consider: To charge your 15000 mAh charger you need 15 Ah worth of solar panel or a 75 watt panel to charge it in 1.2 hours of direct sunlight. The solar charger that is built in won't keep it charged under any conditions.

Something to consider: To charge your 15000 mAh charger you need 15 Ah worth of solar panel or a 75 watt panel to charge it in 1.2 hours of direct sunlight. The solar charger that is built in won't keep it charged under any conditions.
Yeah, but it helps you feel great that you're saving the planet!
flower70.gif
quickkiss75.gif

I have one that I use for my chronograph at the range. It isn't practical to have a solar panel large enough to keep it charged but if the power goes down I probably won't need my chronograph.

The largest and nearly only mass producer of the rare earths used to make that battery is china. Some 7 year old boys and girls digging in an open pit mine for 12 hours a day breathing Thorium dust and Radon gas are digging it out of the ground for you for a few dollars a ton.
Does that make you proud to be saving the planet? ;)

I have one solar power bank, it is similar to yours. It's great, works well, charges my phone quickly, and it is cheap. Only one issue with the solar function. The solar function has a very small effect. If you put the charger under the sun for several days, it will make a little difference. But it is a small problem. As an emergency device, it works perfectly.

Attachments

• imeshbean solar power bank.jpg
    imeshbean solar power bank.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 9
I bought one from 4Patriots and it seems like it will work. Has 3 usb ports and the obligatory flashlight. It has one green light to let you know it's charging by solar and 4 blue lights to show charged status. The green light will come on if you put it under a table lamp, I told my wife that if you plugged a light that ran off a usb cable into the power bank,the lamp should not go out unless the bulb quit. Well it should come in handy, at least I hope.

I bought one from 4Patriots and it seems like it will work. Has 3 usb ports and the obligatory flashlight. It has one green light to let you know it's charging by solar and 4 blue lights to show charged status. The green light will come on if you put it under a table lamp, I told my wife that if you plugged a light that ran off a usb cable into the power bank,the lamp should not go out unless the bulb quit. Well it should come in handy, at least I hope.
Thats the one i'm looking at but don't know if it's compatible with my virison flip phone

Back