Solar Power Recommendations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello, all! I am new and would like to make some solar power purchases, but I don't want to go ahead based on online reviews alone. Does anyone recommend from experience a particular product regarding the following?

1) a waterproof solar battery charger for a mobile phone
-These are everywhere, but the one I bought did not last long

2) a sturdy folding solar power panel that would fit in a hiking backpack for excursions

3) a generator with panel set that will temporarily power appliances or provide light when the grid is down
-I've seen prices go as high as 2500, which is out of my range, but I was wondering if anyone found anything that is less expensive but decent

Thank you in advance, and I hope this can be a helpful thread for all.

3) a generator with panel set that will temporarily power appliances or provide light when the grid is down
-I've seen prices go as high as 2500, which is out of my range, but I was wondering if anyone found anything that is less expensive but decent
Building your own would usually cut the price in half.
It has been covered before here. Do some searching.

Hey @Breck 1&2 look like something you would want for hiking, backpacking, or camping. Don't know what to tell you there.

For the other there are a number of threads here where people have discussed it extensively as @hiwall indicated. Here are links to speed you on your way....

DIY Solar Charging Station

Adding solar to an old on grid homestead

Solar powered barn? (gable fan, lights, heat, etc)

Need solar charger for my flip phone.

Excellent list of threads!

I called up Grape Solar yesterday because I talked to someone I met in the parking lot of Winco grocery store about the solar system I built, I gave her a business card and told her to call if she wanted information, anyway a lot has changed since we bought our eight 195 watt 36 volt panels, the only high voltage panel that Grape had was 300 watt 40 volt but they mentioned that they had blemished panels for much lower cost. The 300 watt panels were about $900 for two packs. I looked other suppliers and many of them are using panels with built in inverters, I prefer having separate components and solar controllers that are only MPPT type and inverter/chargers that are pure sine wave, as well, I am perfectly happy with old tech lead/acid GC-2 golf cart batteries as they are more. affordable and usually always on hand, plus even the low end batteries are generally at least 205 amp-hour rated. As always, I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Latest posts

Back