Solar Storm Knocks Out 40 Newly Launched SpaceX Starlink Satellites

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned in another thread, 40 of 49, interesting, Stan Deyo just mentioned a potential of solar storms coming a few days ago on the Doug Hagmann show.

Well, that's what they get for not wearin' a mask
NoDeal.gif

When I was teaching and there were solar storms, children were wild! It has an affect on humans. So if any of you feel a little off, or if you see that any people that you know are a little off, this could be why.
Strangely I have been energetic and motivated starting earlier and working longer hours.

All good in my book.

Ben

He has a few thousand up, but husband said he was dumb for not hardening them. He worked that industry all his life. . The final constellation will be thousands more. The article was trying to say that 49 that were recently launched lost 40. He still has lots and lots
It could be a cost benefits

Is it worth the cost of hardening or let them burn?

After all he has his own launch system.

What do YOU think ?

Ben

40 of 49 satellites knocked out... by a solar storm? He's probably hoping the insurance company buys that story... I'm not.

He could have sent up 40 hunks of scrap metal... best story ever! Who can say why they really failed? or never worked at all... The insurance co certainly can't check them...

Me - My boss launched himself into space committing suicide...
Police - We think you killed him then launched him into space...
Me - good luck examining the body...

Husband says 42000 will be in the final.
Should harden them. Oh well.
So, doya think the thousands of asteroids that pass thru their orbit path every year are gonna magically miss all of them? :LOL:
Most are moving at over 160,000 mph. That's gonna leave a pretty bad dent. :rolleyes:

That supposed solar storm was a nothing burger, only a Kp5 and they knew it was coming. Technically a solar storm, but at the lowest end of the spectrum that happens regularly. Something isn’t adding up.

That supposed solar storm was a nothing burger, only a Kp5 and they knew it was coming. ...at the lowest end of the spectrum that happens regularly. Something isn’t adding up.

..This is an interesting snip from 'over yonder', Fwiw..

"...keep in mind is that this was largely the fault of all the anti-space-debris precautions they make Starlink do. They initially release them inside the outer parts of the atmosphere so that by default they will crash. Then they have to do a bunch of system checks on them, and then they have to maneuver them out of the outer atmosphere to where they won't be dragged back down to Earth. The solar storm hit at just the wrong time so that the atmosphere expanded and they no longer had enough energy on the satellite to get it entirely above the atmosphere. Had they initially deployed the satellites just a little bit higher already fully outside the atmosphere they would have been fine..."

..So, sounds more like a 'miscalculation' of the Ancillary-Effects of the 'storm' - vs the 'strength' of it.. Ergo: 'hardening' still might have not been able to allow these to 'pull out in time'.. <beavis & butthead: *heh heh heeeh-heh-heeh heh*> Sorry, blame the Tequila.. ;)

..But, @Aj - are you thinking, like.. 'Malevolent state-actor sabotage' or something? (and they just 'timed it' to coincide with the "storm", as 'cover'? 🤔 Possibly Russia could pull something like that off.. Maybe-ish(?) Why? To 'send a message' that they Can do worse, if/when they want? Hrmmm...

Sounds like a good Tom Clancy flik, if nothing else.. ;)

jd

So just this guy's satellites are the ones falling. Right. That doesn't seem strange at all

..This is an interesting snip from 'over yonder', Fwiw..

"...keep in mind is that this was largely the fault of all the anti-space-debris precautions they make Starlink do. They initially release them inside the outer parts of the atmosphere so that by default they will crash. Then they have to do a bunch of system checks on them, and then they have to maneuver them out of the outer atmosphere to where they won't be dragged back down to Earth. The solar storm hit at just the wrong time so that the atmosphere expanded and they no longer had enough energy on the satellite to get it entirely above the atmosphere. Had they initially deployed the satellites just a little bit higher already fully outside the atmosphere they would have been fine..."

..So, sounds more like a 'miscalculation' of the Ancillary-Effects of the 'storm' - vs the 'strength' of it.. Ergo: 'hardening' still might have not been able to allow these to 'pull out in time'.. <beavis & butthead: *heh heh heeeh-heh-heeh heh*> Sorry, blame the Tequila.. ;)

..But, @Aj - are you thinking, like.. 'Malevolent state-actor sabotage' or something? (and they just 'timed it' to coincide with the "storm", as 'cover'? 🤔 Possibly Russia could pull something like that off.. Maybe-ish(?) Why? To 'send a message' that they Can do worse, if/when they want? Hrmmm...

Sounds like a good Tom Clancy flik, if nothing else.. ;)

jd

They knew the storm was coming and the predicted strength. If this was a known risk, why launch into the storm? Perhaps just a huge mistake...

Or the aliens chucked a few that were in their way.
I've been told (or hallucinated!) that one bunch in particular is bad to go target practicing on our junk because...
to them, it IS junk. She said her crew almost missed orbit window because they were laughing at that stack of
ration cans we call the ISS. Good thing they knew it was inhabited!

The launch of the cubesat starlink satellite was piggy-backed on a commercial launch. The commercial launch window is not easily changed so they were launched. The commercial piece was successfully launched. It would double the cost of the cubesats to harden them against anything. The reason for the low cost is the low cost of the satellites and the low cost of launch by piggy-backing with pay for launch industrial or military satellites.

The launch of the cubesat starlink satellite was piggy-backed on a commercial launch. The commercial launch window is not easily changed so they were launched. The commercial piece was successfully launched. It would double the cost of the cubesats to harden them against anything. The reason for the low cost is the low cost of the satellites and the low cost of launch by piggy-backing with pay for launch industrial or military satellites.

Thanks. That was the information I was missing. Now the storyline makes sense.

This story has the ring to it like when anutter super rich guy lent his name (Huges) and corporation to build an vessel (Glomar Explorer) for a venture to mine magnesium lumps off the ocean floor.
We know how that ended.
This one most likely was an antisatt operation that either worked or failed.

Latest posts

Back