Some Harbor Freight tools made at the same factory as name brand.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have mentioned the occasional good products from Harbor Freight being very similar to name brand tools. Hand tools and wood chipper are the two I recall at the moment. But here is a comparison of pneumatic air hammers being nearly identical, aside from the trigger assembly.

The good tools are there, you just need to know which are which and with the popularity of youtube videos comparing tools it is getting easier.
I know, there may be an argument that a couple parts may use cheaper metal or as in this video a different trigger assembly but if they are not made in the USA the odds of one factory in China or Taiwan making tools for several different brands is very probable. Just do your homework and read reviews.

Not surprising, many foods are made in the same plant on the same line with the same food, but different labels.
Cost the same, but the food is sold at a demand price.

Tools are kind of strange because many brands may be made by the same manufacturer, but made to different specs. I believe Kobalt and Craftsman were made in the same Chinese factory for a while and had similar quality. There were some cheapo hardware store brands made in that same factory as well that were extremely low end and didn't get much QC.

I know Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" Chinese made combination wrenches can really struggle for QC. I've got a couple that are super loose fitting on the open end, indicating carelessness during manufacture. They haven't failed on me yet, but I've rounded some nuts with them...

Tools are kind of strange because many brands may be made by the same manufacturer, but made to different specs. I believe Kobalt and Craftsman were made in the same Chinese factory for a while and had similar quality. There were some cheapo hardware store brands made in that same factory as well that were extremely low end and didn't get much QC.

I know Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" Chinese made combination wrenches can really struggle for QC. I've got a couple that are super loose fitting on the open end, indicating carelessness during manufacture. They haven't failed on me yet, but I've rounded some nuts with them...
Universal parts, aren't. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit, and not use it :)

Very true but I have noticed sometimes the cheap nuts and bolts that come with various assemble at home things are not properly sized. When you can't find a properly sized wrench or socket in either SAE or Metric it's obviously cut rate production. And even my 40 year old Craftsman tools have this problem so it isn't just the new wrenches. I hate working on new stuff.

Very true but I have noticed sometimes the cheap nuts and bolts that come with various assemble at home things are not properly sized. When you can't find a properly sized wrench or socket in either SAE or Metric it's obviously cut rate production. And even my 40 year old Craftsman tools have this problem so it isn't just the new wrenches. I hate working on new stuff.
I have found that these two Pittsburgh wrenches are always loose on the box end though. It doesnt matter which fastener I put them on. These are wrenches I use at work on railroad equipment. I would hope we're not getting lowest common denominator fasteners for that...

Grandpa didn't own an adjustable wrench, vice grips or pliers, he had a file and vice, if it doesn't fit, you make it fit, tight.

It's not me, but I learned lessons.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back