Something to keep in mind...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a good site to keep abreast of ag news. https://agfax.com/2018/09/14/federal-reserve-observations-on-the-ag-economy-august-2018/
You can learn alot if you pay attention. Things are not rosey in parts of the country. The floods in NC may have damaged the peanuts and sweet potato crops ( they don't know yet). Cotton was still in the fields when they were flooded.
Wet conditions in the midwest is threatening the harvest.

I'll have to watch the vid when I have free data I bookmarked

We had flooding last year during Harvey and this gardening season was a challenge for me with some of my crops, seeing more diseases to deal with. So yes I can see where the flooding around the world can effect food production. With the flooding it also increased diseases in the animals, especially my goats, more foot issues and more worm issues than ever.
I heard on the radio about losing 3 million chickens and I wondered about the pigs. . . 5500 and expected to rise as more farmers access their places. That's a lot of wasted food and can expect prices to go up in those areas.
We raise and harvest our own around here and have a surplus of what we can grow from our good years to off set the bad, but the majority of the population does not even have a home garden anymore and solely rely on farmers to provide. People need to wake up.

Last edited:
We had flooding last year during Harvey and this gardening season was a challenge for me with some of my crops, seeing more diseases to deal with. So yes I can see where the flooding around the world can effect food production. With the flooding it also increased diseases in the animals, especially my goats, more good issues and more work issues than ever.
I heard on the radio about losing 3 million chickens and I wondered about the pigs. . . 5500 and expected to rise as more farmers access their places. That's a lot of wasted food and can expect prices to go up in those areas.
We raise and harvest our own around here and have a surplus of what we can grow from our good years to off set the bad, but the majority of the population does not even have a home garden anymore and solely rely on farmers to provide. People need to wake up.

Dani, most can't even keep their house plants alive.

I've been watching several different YouTube channels that watch crop growth and harvest results and the news is concerning. What do y'all think?

I haven't watched the video yet, but I believe it. If we were to map out the weather conditions in the last year, two or 10, we would see and understand what is going on.

I've tried to get people to look at the whole picture. If there are shortages, countries are not only going to quit exporting they are going to be looking to buy more. Prices are going to go up and things may be harder to find. I can already see some signs. Our local Wal-Mart has already removed some of the fresh veggie bins so the remaining ones look fuller. Our spice isle is now half of what it was.

Last edited:
This has been on my mind over the past few days. We're seeing a mini-drought in my part of the country right now: Been about 5 weeks since we've seen any kind of moisture anywhere in the state. I live at an elevation of just under 5,000 feet - yesterday (Sep 19), we broke 90 degrees F. And we were dry coming into this little stretch. Our ranchers and farmers here are talking about very significant yield drops across the board. So we're increasing our emergency stores at my place.

This has been on my mind over the past few days. We're seeing a mini-drought in my part of the country right now: Been about 5 weeks since we've seen any kind of moisture anywhere in the state. I live at an elevation of just under 5,000 feet - yesterday (Sep 19), we broke 90 degrees F. And we were dry coming into this little stretch. Our ranchers and farmers here are talking about very significant yield drops across the board. So we're increasing our emergency stores at my place.
It has been a hot, dry summer. I agree about increasing emergency stores. I always think of water catchment for those times when there is rain. It is the basic thing after air that we need to survive.

It has been a hot, dry summer. I agree about increasing emergency stores. I always think of water catchment for those times when there is rain. It is the basic thing after air that we need to survive

Right there with ya on the water harvesting. Had a great system at the old homestead, but still working on one for this new place. Tried out a system that bagged me 220 gallons of filtered water so far this year. It's not nearly enough, so I'll need to expand the system if my try-out continues to go well.

big hail damaged a lot of crops all over the world this year too along with all the other weather. Ive watched Ice age farmer along with other channels ..interesting for sure. world of signs channel one and two are a very interesting watch. Goes to show what happens all over that our media never or rarely mentions..

I've been watching several different YouTube channels that watch crop growth and harvest results and the news is concerning. What do y'all think?

It takes a lot of grain to feed an animal except home raised chickens for eggs mainly. People didn't use to live on meat all week.
It was milk and honey, not meat and meat.
Those on keto diet are in for some problems since they don't eat easy to grow crops. You can't live off lettice alone.
Much of the worlds grains are used for animal feeds. That is why they started feeding them each other .
Best to grow beans and potatoes as staple use eggs for protein and keep seeds. You can grow a lot of potatoes in a large container if weather is bad.
This Aussie has it going on big time,he won't starve for awhile.

I don't feed my animals grain, except for the chickens. And the show pig. They get locally grown hay.

Well I meant hay too. Locally grown hay plus feed for chicken,hog and corn for ethenol for fuel.
It has destroyed the eco systems and waters all over central and south Florida and about to affect the north and the springs. That and sugar plantations of course.
Florida has the largest concentration of natural springs on earth and big biz is not only polluting them but also pumping out billions of gallons of water fro bottling company's so silly people can feel cool sucking on a plastic bottle of water. I always send friends and families stainless steel water bottles and HOPE they use them but most don't.

This was 2 years ago , it is much worse now.

Look what we are leaving our youth. Farms and ranches created the largest dead zone in the nation and the world.

Last edited:
Damn Meer, I didn't realize things were that bad down there. Fl has always been a huge part of Americas food producers. That doesn't boode well for the future.

No and that is because of politicians allowing them to have unsafe growing and farming practices.
They buy up the most productive and cheapest land and are not good stewards of the land.
There should be limits to how concentrated an area the farms are.
And Nestles ' foreign owned' and Coco Cola should not be allowed to sell our water all over the world where rumor has it 70% is shipped out of country. Ginny Springs is one of the worse. Privatization of water should be against the law,imo.
To add insult to injury they just made it against the law July 1st,2018 to walk on the beaches here in most county's now. Since the RINO rick Scott owns several beach properties he made the ocean his own private beach all the way to the water. Nelson is no better of course, we don't have anyone on our side it seems.

big hail damaged a lot of crops all over the world this year too along with all the other weather. Ive watched Ice age farmer along with other channels ..interesting for sure. world of signs channel one and two are a very interesting watch. Goes to show what happens all over that our media never or rarely mentions..

@Hooch , I found this Oppenheimer Range video.

I haven't seen those. I'll have to look them up.

Found one I put up from YT.

I know I'm radical on this but it is right in our backyard so to speak so it really hits home when it stares you in the face.

We both love the water, so we moved to North Florida 21 years ago to be near the ocean and beaches. Plus we liked to visit the Keys now and then to snorkle or dive.
Also springs that have been here since Florida has are drying up and saltification is now a possibilty if the Suwannee River from the Gulf leaches into the springs.

Well no more beaches and no pretty reefs in the Keys.
Also the post I put up about growing potatoes wasn't clear either. I meant to learn to grow them now in case you have to to survive later. Not to start living off potatoes and beans now.o_O

At times I'm busy up and down doing things while posting so the message is not clear.:oops:

Last edited:
After buying wheat berry to store a few years ago and paying very high prices I contacted one of the grain mills in Central Texas concerning making a bulk purchase of a ton as a group purchase with a few like minded friends. It was harvest time and was told by the mill that there was no wheat available in the area because it all was sold to China.

My suburban home will have a fence in a couple weeks so a spring garden is finally in the plans. Between hoa and deer/rabbits it has been a losing proposition till now. Cannot wait to move to a more my desired lifestyle friendly locale.

My suburban home will have a fence in a couple weeks so a spring garden is finally in the plans. Between hoa and deer/rabbits it has been a losing proposition till now. Cannot wait to move to a more my desired lifestyle friendly locale.

CrackB. another coincidence. I was going to put you in the not seen forum members along with some others to ask where your at . And here you are.:cool:

Back to topic. This video is news of lat couple days and weather causes crops to dwindle. Forget messenger just get the message.LOL.:D And he talsk on preps.

I have been recording the actual temps, the forecast temps and the recorded temps this last year. What I found was that the forecast temps were recorded for the daily highs even though the actual temps were lower for most of time. Compared to average temperatures, extreme highs and extreme lows the temperatures are not rising and in most cases the temps are dropping very slightly.
There is no doubt that the climate is changing but the cause is what is in question. Pointing to CO2 levels is a failed indicator. The predictions that were made based on that data did not happen and the trend is pointing away from CO2 levels being the cause of anything. The worst greenhouse gasses are water vapor and methane but both of those are short lived cyclical effects. Humidity falls as rain and that cools the air and the ground. Methane lasts for a short period before it is transformed by UV light and oxygen into gasses that are not greenhouse gasses. I'm not qualified to make predictions (it seems that either are the "climatologists") but I am capable of remembering my history and the failed predictions made in the past ten years. The arctic ice is growing instead of being gone as predicted. The volcano in Antarctica is bulging - like Saint Helens did prior to its eruption. How much ice will it melt in an eruption? How much will it affect the ocean currents and just how does the Sun going into a minimum minimum and minimum maximum affect temps on earth? I believe that the specifics of the combined heat engines of the Earth and Sun are too complex for scientists to predict any specific outcome. The fact is that someone decided they could make money buying and selling carbon tax credits and found a way to make it work through the polical world engine.
In any case be prepared for whatever comes. Have food and water for at least a year, keep your portapotty handy and stay in good health as best you can. Be prepared to defend what you have and to be able to grow what you need. Your stored supplies have to be replenished as you use them or you won't have anything.

I have been recording the actual temps, the forecast temps and the recorded temps this last year. What I found was that the forecast temps were recorded for the daily highs even though the actual temps were lower for most of time. Compared to average temperatures, extreme highs and extreme lows the temperatures are not rising and in most cases the temps are dropping very slightly.
There is no doubt that the climate is changing but the cause is what is in question. Pointing to CO2 levels is a failed indicator. The predictions that were made based on that data did not happen and the trend is pointing away from CO2 levels being the cause of anything. The worst greenhouse gasses are water vapor and methane but both of those are short lived cyclical effects. Humidity falls as rain and that cools the air and the ground. Methane lasts for a short period before it is transformed by UV light and oxygen into gasses that are not greenhouse gasses. I'm not qualified to make predictions (it seems that either are the "climatologists") but I am capable of remembering my history and the failed predictions made in the past ten years. The arctic ice is growing instead of being gone as predicted. The volcano in Antarctica is bulging - like Saint Helens did prior to its eruption. How much ice will it melt in an eruption? How much will it affect the ocean currents and just how does the Sun going into a minimum minimum and minimum maximum affect temps on earth? I believe that the specifics of the combined heat engines of the Earth and Sun are too complex for scientists to predict any specific outcome. The fact is that someone decided they could make money buying and selling carbon tax credits and found a way to make it work through the polical world engine.
In any case be prepared for whatever comes. Have food and water for at least a year, keep your portapotty handy and stay in good health as best you can. Be prepared to defend what you have and to be able to grow what you need. Your stored supplies have to be replenished as you use them or you won't have anything.

Yea that. Ok beautiful dog avatar,thanks. Elhound s is beautiful too.

I think it is a natural event with a little bit of help fro mus people.

The weather is kinda odd up here on our mountain anyway. It always has been according to some of the master gardeners I've met in the area, some of which have been gardening here for decades.

I've been giving a lot of thought to the idea that maybe I should invest in a hoophouse and a large tank to collect rain water. I know that's not a complete answer to weather that seems to get more and more crazy every year but maybe it's better than doing nothing at all.

. I know that's not a complete answer to weather that seems to get more and more crazy every year but maybe it's better than doing nothing at all.

Edited to the part I'm replying to.

I'm no expert or even claim to know what I should be doing in prepping, but I do believe that doing something constructive is better then doing nothing.

Latest posts

Back