Songline

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songline

snippet

A knowledgeable person is able to navigate across the land by repeating the words of the song, which describe the location of landmarks, waterholes, and other natural phenomena. In some cases, the paths of the creator-beings are said to be evident from their marks, or petrosomatoglyphs, on the land, such as large depressions in the land which are said to be their footprints.

By singing the songs in the appropriate sequence, Aboriginal people could navigate vast distances, often travelling through the deserts of Australia's interior. The continent of Australia contains an extensive system of songlines, some of which are of a few kilometres, whilst others traverse hundreds of kilometres through lands of many different Aboriginal peoples — peoples who may speak markedly different languages and have different cultural traditions.

Since a songline can span the lands of several different language groups, different parts of the song are said to be in those different languages. Languages are not a barrier because the melodic contour of the song describes the nature of the land over which the song passes. The rhythm is what is crucial to understanding the song. Listening to the song of the land is the same as walking on this songline and observing the land.

This is amazing.

I have a tendency to get quite lost and adapting this technique just might help me find my way back...

I can also see the usefulness of this technique if ever I am displaced from my home turf for whatever reason...disasters, etc.

read this portion...i had to put it in translator to use the audio function to even know how to say it. i was on phone talking about it and didnt have a clue how to say this word even...lol...poor dumb me !

Petrosomatoglyph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrosomatoglyph

A petrosomatoglyph is a supposed image of parts of a human or animal body in rock. They occur all over the world, often functioning as an important form of symbolism, used in religious and secular ceremonies, such as the crowning of kings. Some are regarded as artefacts linked to saints or culture heroes.

The word comes from the Greek πέτρα – petra ("stone"), σῶμα – soma ("body"), and γλύφειν – glyphein ("to carve"). Feet are the most common; however, knees, elbows, hands, head, fingers, etc., are also found.

Stylised representations of parts of the body are often open to dispute and are therefore on the fringes of acceptability as identifiable petrosomatoglyphs. Natural objects, such as rock crystals and rock formations which look like petrosomatoglyphs, whole animals, plants, etc., are collectively called "mimetoliths".

330px-Scotland_Dunadd_1.jpg

This footprint (replica[1]) carved into the rock on Dunadd, in Argyll, is linked to the crowning of the Scots kings of Dál Riata.

this to me is a fancy smasnhy word for calling card. i knew some old timers and they often done certain things in woods..i am talking big woods often like 100,000 acre tracts not typical patch woods but in them too. but one particular old guy left his calling card often.

theres way more to this as well

a belt hatchet is your friend ! and learn the term of make your mark .

back in the day when the usfs and workers took pride in doing things correctly and for good reasons signs along various trails were actually made with a router and you could in an emergency feel the words or feel the arrow signs giving a direction to various spots. not just a painted sign to only read. this might come in handy if accident happens in remote areas and a vision loss or eye injury occurs or lost at night without a light to read you can feel the sign and arrows and the MILES to next point often being a road junction or shelter or something important to be a destination point.

Along the lines of old school communications:

Some years ago, me and a neighbor worked out a system involving a series of animal or bird sounds--Native American style--to communicate certain security/summoning signals. For example, owl sounds at night carry well. Coyote works any time of the day or night.

Because cell phones are useless in these mountains, animal and bird calls are practical because the presence of human prowlers, bear sightings, etc. can be easily and quickly be conveyed to others if we are outside working in the garden, repairing fence lines, or relaxing on the porch after dinner, etc.

We do something similar with friends when camping, etc. A short, loud hoot is unmistakably one of "us" and is not likely to be confused with the sounds that other people usually make in recreational areas, such as whistling or "hey!"

In an urban setting, I would imagine the same concept can be carried out using a series or a pattern of dog barking sounds for distance communications, and cat or bird sounds for close up work.

Speaking of unorthodox communications:

For years, my relatives and friends have in place a system of certain code words for security purposes. For example, if I call someone, and they say something odd during the phone call such as "Thank you for the spaghetti dinner last night." It means they are in trouble (home invasion, etc.) and the police need to be called. (Growing up in New Orleans will do this to ya, lol)

Then there’s the world’s first “cell phone” system: the whistling language of the Canarian archipelago off the coast of Morocco...

Some years ago, while researching genealogy on my mother’s side of the family, I discovered an interesting aspect of my heritage as a member of the Los Islenos who are descendants of Canary Islanders that colonized parts of the New Orleans area 240 years ago.

Then there’s the world’s first “cell phone” system: the whistling language of the Canarian archipelago off the coast of Morocco...

Some years ago, while researching genealogy on my mother’s side of the family, I discovered an interesting aspect of my heritage as a member of the Los Islenos who are descendants of Canary Islanders that colonized parts of the New Orleans area 240 years ago.

In terms of disasters and other hard times, I am seeing a potential value of the ancient language of my ancestors. This method of communication requires no cell phone towers, no electricity, no batteries and under the right conditions, it can reach for a few miles.

Silbo is a language composed entirely of a series of loud bird-like whistles that is easily learned and mastered and is being taught in primary schools in the Canary islands in efforts to preserve a form of language that has survived for thousands of years but is in danger of dying out.

According to Wikipedia, Silbo has "between 2 and 4 vowels and between 4 and 10 consonants. Today, the language is a whistled form of a dialect of Spanish. Silbo replaces each vowel or consonant with a whistling sound. Whistles are distinguished according to pitch and continuity." (Silbo Gomero - Wikipedia)

Here are some interesting links to serve as a springboard of ideas that can be adapted to long-range planning for substitutes for modern communications...in the event all else fails. (Of course, if you are concerned about OPSEC, looters, etc, animal sounds--Native American style--may work better than outright whistles.)

Silbo – the whistling language of La Gomera

Silbo gomero: A whistling language revived

Some parts of Mexico and Turkey also have something similar to the whistled language of the Canarian archipelago:

The Fascinating Whistled Languages of the Canary Islands, Turkey & Mexico (and What They Say About the Human Brain)

I think the hobos of yesteryear worked out a pretty good system that still works well for them these days:

Hobo language (signs) - old school communication during the Great Depression that still persists to this day (with the addition of wifi symbols, lol).

https://owlcation.com/humanities/All...ns-and-symbols (sorry, dead link, but I saved this quote in my files):

The early 1900s were a time of displacement of over 500,000 people in the U.S. Many became Hobos and became a migrant society seeking work as they criss-crossed the country. The most common routes followed the railway lines and it was often a dangerous and meager lifestyle. Hobos communicated to one another by carving or drawing symbols on trees, post, bridges, and even houses to both offer directional guidance and warnings of what lay ahead. What follows are 60 of the most common along with the message behind them.

Here is a handy dandy chart that I will be copying into my (old school paper) notebook and committing some to memory. Who knows when I might see some of these symbols, and may find it useful to know what they mean.

all-things-hobo-signs-and-symbols.jpg

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12151216_f520.jpg

Hobo symbol meanings 1- 20
a1.Kind lady lives here. Hobos who found or left this mark could rely on a bite to eat with nothing expected in return. These women were generally the welcoming “mothering” type of individuals who found great compassion for respectful hobos.

a2. Man with gun lives here. This symbol warned hobos that knocking on the door or even stepping on the property of this man would be met with a show of hostility. Move quickly, move on.

a3. Jail has cooties. Sometimes by choice hobos would allow themselves to be put in situations that would earn them jail time in the hopes of getting out of foul weather or for a meal or two. This symbol warned that the town’s jail was dirty and bug ridden. Not a good lodging choice.

a4. Okay to sleep in barn. There were many variations of this symbol but should a hobo discover one, they would know that either by sneaking or asking permission, the barn or hayloft was a good place to sleep or escape foul weather.

a5. Beware thieves about. Keep your two eyes on “his” ten fingers. Finding this sign at a hobo camp or a meeting spot indicated that theft was suspected among them. Keep any of your belongings close to you at all times especially while sleeping.

a6. Good water, good place to camp. Miles between towns were often many. It could take days to reach your next destination. Finding a safe place to camp undisturbed that had good clean water nearby and had plenty of firewood made the perfect camp. Finding this symbol was a relief, especially after a long walk.

a7. Be prepared to defend yourself. Coming across this symbol, a hobo would make sure that he stayed alert for aggressive behavior amongst other hobos or in areas that frowned upon them. Any sign of cowardness was an indicator that you were easily overcome and either robbed or abused.

a8. Crooked man lives here. Hobos sometimes found that a homeowner or a business would invite them to work or feed them but after serving, would be quickly run away with no payment of any kind. Observance of a man who was abusive to his children or witnessing a deceptive behavior would also be disserving of this symbol being posted near the location to warn others.

a9. Tell a pitiful story. Experienced hobos with a bit of acting skills could easily manipulate potential marks by telling a hard luck story or assuming a pitiful look. This worked especially well for child, female, and teen hobos.

a10. Police are hostile. Many times police and town officials were outwardly and physically aggressive towards any hobo regardless of his actions. In some cases this was purposefully done to arrest and put the hobo to work for free.

a11. Get bread here: Hobos became very good misers and learned to making much out of little. Even the less fortunate of homes generally could spare a slice of stale bread or leftover rolls. If a bread symbol could be found, the chance of assembling a meal of simple ingredients was a chance of a full belly

a12. Doctor lives here: Life on the rails and road was hard and brutal. “Marking” the homes of doctors or even a person with basic medical knowledge could mean the difference between life or death.

a13. Get cursed out here: Hobos were regarded in some towns as human trash and took pleasure in demeaning and verbally insulting any hobo who happened by their way. The law would take measures against any hobo who retaliated in any way.

a14. Wet town, alcohol here: This symbol shows an open mug which means that this town serves alcohol. This same symbol without showing the top, would mean that this town is a “dry” town.

a15. Go around this town: The bad experience of others was communicated through the display of this symbol. It meant to take the long way around or trouble was sure to happen.

a16. Go this way: This was a common directional sign that indicated the right direction to go when faced with a cross road or intersection. Depending on the direction of the line, other hobos could save time and avoid danger.

a17. Dogs in garden: To keep would-be hobo garden robbers from plucking the vegetables from the garden plot, dogs would be staked or left free to roam within its boundaries. Hobos who experienced such an unpleasant surprise would warn others who may have their eye on the ingredients for their evening’s meal.

a18. Judge lives here: Trying to beg or even disturbing the home of a judge or other law official was a good way to get thrown in jail quickly. Stay away if you see this sign.

a19. Kind gentleman lives here: The top hat represents kind or rich gentleman, the triangle represents a home. Together they mean kind or rich gentleman or family lives here.

a20. I went this way: If two hobos agreed to meet up down the road, the hobo who got there first would leave a message symbol that showed his moniker (his road name), and that he would be waiting in the next closest town.

And another:

hobo-signs-2-png.55260

Hobo symbols meanings 21 - 40
b21. Jail is Okay: As a hobo, sooner or later going to jail was inevitable. There were occasions, however, that a hobo would actually “want” to be locked up for night or two. Sometimes, it was a survival tactic to get a meal or avoid approaching danger. The trick was to find a jail, get arrested, and most of all, find a jail that was clean and not a danger in itself.

b22. Table feed: Feeds were far and few between at least feeds purposed specifically for hobos. There were however functions that would tolerate hobos attending such as church gatherings. When an event such as this was discovered, a hobo would let others know using the table feed code.

b23. Get out of town quick: Only enter town if you have too. Get your business done and get out as quick as possible. This code warned of possible conflict and was a message to keep your head down, try not to be obvious and stick to yourself as you go through town.

b24. Railroad men look the other way: Rail workers and railroad police could be some of the cruelest and roughest of the people who hobos would run into. There were however sections of rail that rail police didn’t care and ignored hobos or would allow infractions in exchange for money or stolen valuables.

b25. Owner is out: This symbol could apply to a home or a business where the owner was not present for long periods of time. This symbol turned in the opposite direction meant that the owner or occupant more than likely was present.

b26. Bad water: Don’t drink the water here, it will make you sick. Sanitary conditions and poor waste disposal into streams and other bodies of water were poorly regulated and this symbol gave warning to all.

b27. Money for work here: Good place to work for money. These jobs generally consisted of hard work with low pay, but there were opportunities that afforded a strong steady hobo to possibly continue a longer term better paying job. This symbol also gave a heads up to migratory farm work jobs.

b28. Chain gang: In locations where the jail was connected to a chain gang work scheme, a hobo who saw this symbol would move away as quickly as possible to avoid being trumped into an unpaid work crew.

b29. Easy marks: This symbol boasted of the ease of successful gleanings from a town or group of individuals. Although a “mark” was sometimes assoiated with the tricking well meaning people, it did express the attitude of a comfortable place to be.

b30. I ate: Good news for a hobo entering an unfamiliar town. This symbol encouraged following hobos that their next meal may be close.

b31. Money here: Working for food kept the belly full but there was also a need for money for other of life’s necessities including a “nip” from time to time. This symbol provided a clue to the hot spots. Work for money was always welcome for a hobo who was trying to break free.

b32. Crime happened here: Hobos were a superstitious bunch. A code such as this was scrawled where a previous major crime was committed. It warned that “this” area is a dangerous place.

b33. Help if you are hurt: Minor injuries or sicknesses could lead to major setbacks for hobos. It was good to know where to seek help when needed.

b34. Cowards, will pay to get rid of you: Hobos had a tendency to cause fear in some households or places that had little or no protection. These people would gladly offer food or money rather than deal with the confrontation of a hobo.

b35. Nothing happening here: This was a general statement that the approaching community had very little in the way or resources. It was better to walk though for a better place.

b36. Good place to catch train: A big part of a hobos travels revolved around the rails. This symbol provided the information especially valuable to less experienced hobos as to where to safely “hop” a ride.

b37. Good place to sleep: This sign would guide the weary hobo in finding shelter that provided an element of protection or warmth. A barn, a bridge covering, or abandoned buildings were prime places.

b38. Keep quiet baby here: One thing that most hobos agreed upon was the protection and repect of young families. This symbol would remind hobos of their code and instruct those who saw this symbol to be quiet and not to disturb them.

b39. Policeman lives here: This sign saved many hobos from making the mistake of knocking on the door of a policeman or other law officer and end up getting thrown in jail, or worse, a chain gain work crew.

b40. (Joe) is waiting in town: If two hobos agreed to meet up further down the road, the one who got there first would leave a message symbol that showed his moniker (his road name), and that he would be waiting in the next closest town.

hobo-signs-3-png.55261

Hobo symbol meanings: 41 - 60
c41. Fake illness here: Faking an illness or injury could get a hobo a meal, or a place to rest, or even money depending on how well they could act. A hobo that fained a nasty cough, for instance, may end up with some money to encourage them to leave.

c42. Hold your tongue: In some towns, a hobo would generally be ignored unless he brought notice to himself by verbally responding to rude comments. If you came across this sign, it told you that you were better off not engaging in conversations.

c43. Stay quiet: Move quietly and keep your head down. Walk in the shadows as much as possible and do not disturb livestock or animals that would announce your presence.

c44. Good road to follow: When leaving the path of the rails, a symbol like this could save unnecessary and unproductive routes by telling a hobo that a road or trail was a good choice and presenting opportunity.

c45. Police woman lives here: Hobos found the best “marks” were usually woman. There were times, however, that knocking on the door of a police woman would end up back firing. Stay away from homes around a home that pointed to any law official.

c46. Bad: Any time a single carved or drawn round dot was displayed with another symbol, it meant “No, Bad, Do Not,” etc. In some cases a good symbol could be “corrected” if the message had changed.

c47. Telephone here: As rare as they were, if an event occurred that required calling “back home” or a phone call could lead to an opportunity, it was good to know where they were located.

c48. Dry town: This symbol took the shape of an upside down cup and said that this town did not sell or allow alcohol. Do try to buy it or even display it if you had it.

c49. Police will lock you up: Avoid places where you see this sign. For no reason at all, police will arrest you and put you in jail to either keep favor with townspeople or to add you to their own private free labor work force.

c50. Church or religious people: This symbol could be both bad and good. A compassionate group of religious people would be a welcome find even if it meant being subject to a harsh sermon or message. On the other hand, it could become a hardship for strict pious congregations who viewed hobos as the result of sin.

d51. Dangerous man lives here: Hobos avoided conflict as much as possible. This symbol served as a warning to avoid a home known for criminal or violent behavior. Police were not going to assist a hobo in the event of a confrontation.

d52. Authorities are alert: Police and political figures of some towns tried to keep their town hobo free and were constantly on the lookout. A hobo who was fortunate enough to spot this symbol could save themselves a lot of trouble.

d53. Poor people live here: This symbol gained a level of respect from hobos. They, more than anyone else understood the hardship of life and would not bother homes known to be struggling.

d54. Dangerous place: This sign was a severe warning to stay away at all cost. To proceed further would be to risk bodily harm or worse. Move on quickly.

d55. Workhouse jail: Do your business and leave as quickly as possible. If your timing is bad, you could easily be locked up only to find your self working long hard hours digging ditches with no pay and no length of stay. Get snagged in one of these situations and you better plan your escape from the beginning.

d56. Home heavily guarded: Be prepared to be met with aggressive behavior or a guard dog, or gun. Occupants are usually home and have taken great measures to protect themselves.

d57. People do not give: Even your best approach won’t work here. Expect a rude response and a strict warning to keep away. Even a glass of water on a hot day is out of the question.

d58. Stay off of main street: Don’t be seen, stick to the side streets and alleys. Move on quickly or avoid this town all together.

d59. Mean dogs here: This warning was a sign that the dogs on this property were trained specifically to keep unwelcome or unknown people away. Both their bark and bite were a good reason to take the long way around.

d60. Great place for a handout: Homeowners who were perplexed by the increased numbers of hobos knocking on their back door, were sure to find a symbol like this close to their property. Hobos would share their wealth by letting others know that this was a great source for a meal or money.

al of this also ties in with flags used in communications and horns.trumpets and shofars too. symbols on uniforms to other various things as well. from countries flags to weather flags or colored 'sign posts' from long ago.

Latest posts

Back