Soup Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weedygarden,
When I make Pho, I use Chinese 5 spice instead of MSG.
Also make with beef, chicken, vension, shrimp, pork.
What ever that leftover in refrig or freezer.
Chinese 5 spice probably gives you good flavor. I don't have MSG in my house. I know my grandparents made soup with leftovers. Soup was a good meal for cold days on the prairie.

I watched a YouTube video today and heard the suggestion of Depression Era soup. We know many people struggled to eat during those times. Food scarcity could be here sometime in the not so distant future.

Depression Soup

Whatever you have, chop it up and throw it in the soup pot. Could be beans, rice, leftovers (will they be a thing of the past?), spices, flavorings. You could add things foraged from your property such as dandelions. If you are using dried beans, soak overnight and cook the next day before adding the rest of the stuff OR cook your beans in an instant pot or pressure cooker.

I have never encountered savory in a recipe, but have seen seeds and plant starts for it. The fact that this has savory in it intrigues me.
Freeman, SD has Hutterite Colonies and there is an annual Smeckfest in Freeman, where some of the authentic German food is sold. It is a BIG event. Evidently this soup is one of the foods that you can get there.

https://www.southdakotamagazine.com/summer-savory
Freeman’s Savory Soup
By John Andrews
summer-savory-02-27-15-2.jpg
Green beans star in Joyce Hofer's soup, but its flavor comes from summer savory, an herb rarely used in other German cooking.
Call it what you want: pepper weed, bohnenkraut, gartenkraut or a pillar of the spice mixture “herbes de provence.” Germans in Freeman know it simply as summer savory, an essential component of the green bean soup that has been part of Schmeckfest’s first course since the annual “tasting festival” began in 1959.
Summer savory boasts a piney, peppery flavor, similar to thyme or oregano. It is believed to help digest beans, which could explain how savory, otherwise used sparingly in German cuisine, became such an important ingredient in green bean soup. “It has such a distinct flavor,” says Joyce Hofer. “I don’t know that they use it anywhere else but the green bean soup. That’s all I ever use it in, too.”
Green bean soup, along with noodle soup and salad, is one of the first dishes served at the family style buffet in the basement of Pioneer Hall on the Freeman Academy campus. The soup has its origins with the Low German people, one of three Anabaptist ethnic groups that founded Freeman in the early 1880s. The others (the Hutters and the Swiss) traditionally prepared their own signature dishes to be served at Schmeckfest. Hutters made noodle soup, beef stew and their unique sweetened sauerkraut. The Swiss were known for their poppy seed rolls. “You just kind of stuck to the dishes you knew,” says Hofer, who counts herself among the Hutters. “Now it’s done communally, because there aren’t enough Low German women to make just the green bean soup.”
Summer savory isn’t a culinary secret, though Schmeckfest diners are often heard asking what gives the soup its unique essence. The herb’s history can be traced to early Greece. Mythological creatures called satyrs were often shown wearing crowns of savory. People in the Middle Ages wore savory garlands to prevent drowsiness. When the Emperor Charlemagne ruled over Western Europe in the early ninth century, he included summer savory on his list of herbs to be grown in his royal gardens. Savory’s role in German cooking began at about the same time, when monks brought the herb from its native region along the Mediterranean Sea in southern Europe to their monastery gardens in Germany.
In the 16th and 17th centuries, the upper class citizenry of Western Europe grew savory in “gardens of delight.” Today you’ll find it growing in the backyard gardens of several Freeman chefs. A handful of gardeners sell tiny bags of savory at the Country Kitchen shop set up during Schmeckfest every year. Hofer bought a bag for $3.50 in 2013, and was still using it as 2014’s festival approached. “I try to buy enough to use through the year,” she says. “What you can grow is better than what you can buy, but what you get at the store is better than nothing.”
While savory dispenses a unique flavor, large quantities of the herb eaten directly can be unpalatable. That’s why Hofer places sprigs inside a tea strainer, and hangs it over the edge of the pot as the soup simmers. “You probably wouldn’t want to eat the savory itself,” Hofer says. “It has a slight aroma, but it really comes out when it mixes with other ingredients of the soup.”
Bought or grown, that’s what makes Schmeckfest’s green bean soup a dish to savor.
Schmeckfest 2019 is scheduled for March 29-30 and April 5-6 on the Freeman Academy campus.

GRÜNE SCHAUBLE SUPPE
Joyce Hofer’s green bean soup recipe is adapted from the Schmeckfest recipe that feeds 1,000 guests and 250 workers on each of the festival’s four nights.
summer-savory-02-27-15-1.jpg
ham bone (optional)
1/2 gallon water
1/2 lb. smoked ham
2 1/2 to 3 cups potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 or 4 sprigs summer savory
1/2 cup finely diced or ground carrots
2 cans string beans (16 oz. total)
2 tablespoons sour cream
Cook smoked ham bone or smoked ham in water until tender. The last half hour before serving, add potatoes (cut in 1/2-inch cubes), carrots, onions and summer savory, using a tea strainer hung over the edge of the pot. When the vegetables are tender, add beans, including the juice, and sour cream. May substitute 1 pound of fresh-cut green beans and cream or butter for sour cream, if desired. Ham base may be added for extra flavor. Hofer says the soup is best when allowed to simmer at least an hour, but it can be eaten when completely heated.
Editor’s Note: This story is revised from the March/April 2014 issue of South Dakota Magazine. To order a copy or to subscribe, call (800) 456-5117.

Last edited:
Granny Smith Sweet Potato Soup
https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2009/OCT/34246.html
GRANNY SMITH SWEET POTATO SOUP
2 to 3 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large (or 2 small) carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup flour
2 quarts chicken stock
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1/8 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
1/8 teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional (more to taste)
8 ounces sour cream
1 thyme sprig per serving

Place bacon in large stockpot over medium heat and saute until crisp.
Remove with spatula and set aside.
To bacon drippings, add onion, carrot, celery, shallot, garlic, apple and sweet potatoes.
Saute 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add basil, oregano, thyme and flour.
Stir mixture until flour is well mixed and moistened throughout.
Add chicken stock and bring mixture to boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes or until all ingredients are soft. Puree in food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary). Return to soup pot over low heat (do not allow to boil).
Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. If desired, add hot pepper sauce.
To serve: Divide soup equally among 6-8 bowls and garnish each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream, reserved bacon or a thyme sprig.

It says this recipe is from 1955. I wonder if anyone here has ever eaten anything like this? I haven't. I think it could be beefed up with more veggies such as carrots, corn, peas and more.

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2008/MAR/46790.html
FRANKFURTER AND POTATO SOUP
2 cups diced potatoes
1 small onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups boiling wafer
2 cups milk
4 frankfurters, cut in 1/4-inch slices*
1 3/4 teaspoons salt ground black pepper (to taste)
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Cook potatoes and onion in boiling water until soft Put through a ricer or mash slightly. Add milk, frankfurters, salt and pepper to potato mixture. Heat thoroughly, Add parsley, and serve. *Salami or other luncheon meat, cut in pieces, may be used instead of frankfurters. Allow one slice per person. Or sprinkle the soup with chopped cooked ham before serving.

*Fresh sausage may be used instead of the frankfurters. Dice or crumble the meat and fry until crisp before adding to the soup.

4 servings

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2010/MAR/52441.html
MUSTARD GREENS AND POTATO SOUP
1 pound red potatoes, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon instant chicken flavor bouillon granules
1 tablespoon Crisco Oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 (10 ounce) package frozen mustard greens, thawed and drained
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Combine potatoes, water and bouillon granules in largo Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes. Position knife blade in food processor bowl or blender. Add potatoes and cooking liquid. Top with cover. Process until smooth; set aside. Heat Crisco Oil in Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and thyme. Saute 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add greens, pureed potato mixture, milk, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve warm.

4 servings.

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2005/AUG/33172.html
PEANUT SOUP
Source: Christian Science Monitor

2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons grated onion
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

TO SERVE:
4 Tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and celery and saute five minutes. Stir in flour and mix well. Gradually add chicken broth stirring to keep mixture smooth; simmer 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and strain. Return soup to pan and stir in peanut butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Heat thoroughly.

To serve: Garnish with chopped peanuts and parsley.
Makes 4 cups.

Last edited:
https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/1999/JAN/1602.html
I for one will not be using MSG, but this recipe lists it as an option. MSG=migraines for me.

This recipe is from the Coburg Inn in Coburg, Oregon. It was served there for years.

1877 BEER CHEESE SOUP

1/2 cup 1/8-inch diced carrots
1/2 cup 1/8-inch diced celery
1/2 cup 1/8-inch diced onion
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 1/2 pints chicken stock
6 ounces shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 TBSP Parmesan Romano Cheese
1/4 tsp Accent (MSG)
1 (11 ounce) bottle beer
salt and pepper to taste

Saute vegtables in butter until done but not browned. Blend in flour and dry mustard, then the chicken stock; cook 5 minutes. Blend in cheddar cheese, Parmesan-Romano cheese, MSG (if using), and beer. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with French bread and salad.

Recipe: Adas Biz-Ruz (Rice and Lentil Soup) (Egyptian) - Recipelink.com
This seems like a recipe that would be fairly easy to make from food storage.

Egyptian Rice and Lentil Soup

Adas Biz-Ruz (Rice and Lentil Soup)(Egyptian)

Serves six.

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups red lentils
5 cups water or stock
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pinch of nutmeg
juice of 1 lemon
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup rice, washed

Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry, while stirring, until the onion is very lightly browned. Stir in the lentils and mix well. Add the water or stock, spices and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until the lentils are starting to disintegrate. Add the rice and return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Adjust seasonings and serve.

I saw this recipe in a Depression Era group. It is a long recipe, but it sounds wonderful. I'm sure this recipe takes a while to make. It is a New Mexico type recipe, but also one that I know people make here in Colorado. We are more likely to make it with green chilis in Colorado but this is a red chili recipe. We love posole and I usually make it with a pork roast that is chopped up and added after it has been cooked. It is snowing today, and this would be a great thing to make today, but my fridge is full, getting ready for Christmas with tamales that I purchased yesterday for friends, ready to deliver.

Chicken Posole

PART 1- LAYING THE FOUNDATION

Start with 2 pots with water. Fill a large one with 5 chicken leg quarters
2 onions halved or quartered
5. garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbs New Mexico chile powder
2 tsp of caldo de pollo
Top with water and bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.

In the other pot, add
4 garlic cloves
2 onions quartered
10 pepper corns
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp caldo de pollo
12 dried guajillo chilies stemmed and seeded
2 dried ancho chiles stemmed and seeded
8 dried chiles de arbol stemmed
Add enough water to cover chiles, bring to a boil, lower heat, then cover for 25 minutes until chiles have softened, stirring occasionally.

PART 2- BLENDING THE FLAVORS

Next... Remove chicken and allow to cool a little.

Remove chiles from the other pot with the onion, garlic, pepper corns, and place into blender with a couple cups of the broth.

Blend throughly until smooth (strain if necessary, you don't want chile flakes)

Add blended chile to pot with chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove skin, bones, and connective tissue from the chicken and add to pot the chiles were softened in. Add water and bring to a low boil and allow to reduce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.

Shred or chop chicken and add to pot with the chicken broth and blended chile.

PART 3- THE FINISH
After bone broth has been reduced, strain and add broth to the other pot. Salt to taste.

Add 2 30oz cans of white hominy and bring to a low simmer for the final 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it is allowed to reduce, the more flavorful it will become.

Remove bay leaves and serve in bowls with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, chopped onion, red chile flakes, sliced cabbage, and warm corn tortillas.
Posole.jpg

I saw this recipe in a Depression Era group. It is a long recipe, but it sounds wonderful. I'm sure this recipe takes a while to make. It is a New Mexico type recipe, but also one that I know people make here in Colorado. We are more likely to make it with green chilis in Colorado but this is a red chili recipe. We love posole and I usually make it with a pork roast that is chopped up and added after it has been cooked. It is snowing today, and this would be a great thing to make today, but my fridge is full, getting ready for Christmas with tamales that I purchased yesterday for friends, ready to deliver.

Chicken Posole

PART 1- LAYING THE FOUNDATION

Start with 2 pots with water. Fill a large one with 5 chicken leg quarters
2 onions halved or quartered
5. garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbs New Mexico chile powder
2 tsp of caldo de pollo
Top with water and bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.

In the other pot, add
4 garlic cloves
2 onions quartered
10 pepper corns
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp caldo de pollo
12 dried guajillo chilies stemmed and seeded
2 dried ancho chiles stemmed and seeded
8 dried chiles de arbol stemmed
Add enough water to cover chiles, bring to a boil, lower heat, then cover for 25 minutes until chiles have softened, stirring occasionally.

PART 2- BLENDING THE FLAVORS

Next... Remove chicken and allow to cool a little.

Remove chiles from the other pot with the onion, garlic, pepper corns, and place into blender with a couple cups of the broth.

Blend throughly until smooth (strain if necessary, you don't want chile flakes)

Add blended chile to pot with chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove skin, bones, and connective tissue from the chicken and add to pot the chiles were softened in. Add water and bring to a low boil and allow to reduce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.

Shred or chop chicken and add to pot with the chicken broth and blended chile.

PART 3- THE FINISH
After bone broth has been reduced, strain and add broth to the other pot. Salt to taste.

Add 2 30oz cans of white hominy and bring to a low simmer for the final 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it is allowed to reduce, the more flavorful it will become.

Remove bay leaves and serve in bowls with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, chopped onion, red chile flakes, sliced cabbage, and warm corn tortillas.View attachment 76934
That sounds and looks so good! Definately something to make when in the mood to cook. A cold day, the house will smell so good, just enjoying the kitchen!!

That sounds and looks so good! Definately something to make when in the mood to cook. A cold day, the house will smell so good, just enjoying the kitchen!!
It really does sound good to me and we are having our first snow of the season today, so it would be especially good today.
I have several Hispanic friends, and a similar recipe was shared by them a while ago. The blending of the peppers is something I have never done. We make posole with roasted chili peppers that we buy from roadside stands. When I first moved to Colorado, I would buy them from the freezer in the grocery store. I even bought frozen hominy when I first made it. Daughter loves posole. This would make too much soup for me to eat before it went bad, so this is the kind of recipe I would make and freeze in serving sizes and share with daughter.

That is a good soup recipe, but I would never make it. I cannot abide anything with any level of heat, including black and white pepper. To me, heat is a painful sensation, not a taste.

I also, will never have anything to do with cilantro. The smallest speck will make a whole dish taste like I just bit into a bar of soap. 10% of the general population has that problem.

Anyone make bone broth?? Often when I do, I make a huge pot of it to can in different sized jars (qts, pts, 1/2pts & 1/4 pts) so it's ready to use in whatever fashion needed at the time. Gravy, soup, broth instead of water for rice, or even just a little bit for making a sauce.

I try to buy meat cuts with bones still in it, if I can, then save all bones until there's enough for a big batch. Beef, chicken, pork and/or ham or whatever type of bones you have to work with. If you can find the feet,and marrow bones, they are a great addition to the pot and will provide lots of good calcium and cartilage and gelatin. Healthy stuff. I have a 10 gallon pot, that I'll start on the kitchen stove, then move to the woodstove to simmer for 2 to 3 days, when it's cold enough for a constant fire.

Whatever type of bones you have a collection from
onions, including skins & roots (adds good color and & nutrients, just rinse off any dirt & debris)
Carrots, with skins
Celery stalks and leaves
garlic, cleaned but unpeeled and smash or bruise under the flat of a knife to release flavors & oils
splash of ACV (releases more nutrients from the bones)
peppercorns
bay leaves
and whatever else you'd like or have on hand to add flavor
enough water to cover everything and a few inches more.

Throw it all in a pot and simmer till about half.....the longer the better. Then strain it all off and you are left with lots of yummy broth.

When I first started making broth, it would always be cloudy with 'stuff' micro bits from the bones & veggies in the bottom of the jars. I didn't mind so much those bits, but I wanted a more clear broth. Then found out, to not boil it and only a low simmer the whole time helps alot. Still yummy with or without clouding.

That is a good soup recipe, but I would never make it. I cannot abide anything with any level of heat, including black and white pepper. To me, heat is a painful sensation, not a taste.

I also, will never have anything to do with cilantro. The smallest speck will make a whole dish taste like I just bit into a bar of soap. 10% of the general population has that problem.
I understand the cilantro distaste. I've known people who have this. I also understand the heat problem. Sometimes spicy foods give me the hiccups, but I love spice anyway. This recipe is seriously something that you could not eat if made by following this recipe. The chili's are so good for those of us who do like them. I think that making this recipe without them would be bland for many of us, but it could be adjusted and the spices not included. I sometime adjust recipes. When I am eating keto, I leave out carb laden ingredients. This posole recipe could be made with the chicken (or pork), onions, the hominy, and the things you do eat. Daughter loves corn, so that is why posole is so loved by her. And it is gluten free, and that makes her food repertoire much smaller than mine and others.

But then, you have the options of many other soups to make!

Anyone make bone broth?? Often when I do, I make a huge pot of it to can in different sized jars (qts, pts, 1/2pts & 1/4 pts) so it's ready to use in whatever fashion needed at the time. Gravy, soup, broth instead of water for rice, or even just a little bit for making a sauce.

I try to buy meat cuts with bones still in it, if I can, then save all bones until there's enough for a big batch. Beef, chicken, pork and/or ham or whatever type of bones you have to work with. If you can find the feet,and marrow bones, they are a great addition to the pot and will provide lots of good calcium and cartilage and gelatin. Healthy stuff. I have a 10 gallon pot, that I'll start on the kitchen stove, then move to the woodstove to simmer for 2 to 3 days, when it's cold enough for a constant fire.

onions, including skins & roots (adds good color and & nutrients, just rinse off any dirt & debris)
Carrots, with skins
Celery stalks and leaves
garlic, cleaned but unpeeled and smash or bruise under the flat of a knife to release flavors & oils
peppercorns
bay leaves

Throw it all in a pot and simmer till about half.....the longer the better. Then strain it all off and you are left with lots of yummy broth.

When I first started making broth, it would always be cloudy with 'stuff' micro bits from the bones & veggies in the bottom of the jars. I didn't mind so much those bits, but I wanted a more clear broth. Then found out, to not boil it and only a low simmer the whole time helps alot. Still yummy with or without clouding.
Oh yes, we make and love bone broth. I have made both chicken and beef broth. Sometimes we have it when we are not feeling 100%. Daughter gets colds more than I do, and this is great for those times. Sometimes I use it as a base for soups. Yes, skimming the top of the broth, and turning the heat down helps to produce clear broth. I have frozen it as well. A turkey carcass makes great bone broth. Too many people toss their turkey carcass out.

Weedy,

Hot foods of any level or type, give me an actual sensation of pain from the mouth down to the stomach. There is no flavour factor involved for me. I am in misery with just one bite and it ruins anything else I try to eat after.

I took chef training, so I know how to use other spices to maximum, and there is a reason hot sauce comes in a bottle.

Oh yes, we make and love bone broth. I have made both chicken and beef broth. Sometimes we have it when we are not feeling 100%. Daughter gets colds more than I do, and this is great for those times. Sometimes I use it as a base for soups. Yes, skimming the top of the broth, and turning the heat down helps to produce clear broth. I have frozen it as well. A turkey carcass makes great bone broth. Too many people toss their turkey carcass out.

YES....I save bones from most any type of meat and even from leftovers. The bones for broth can be either raw or cooked, I keep both till my freezer is stuffed & needs a thorough clean out.

When I buy chicken at the store, I usually buy whole birds, then part out the meat for different meals. The remaining carcass's are kept for a broth day. Same with any home grown birds. If I have chicken & turkey bones, it then becomes poultry broth.....pretty much the same difference to me.

Weedy,

Hot foods of any level or type, give me an actual sensation of pain from the mouth down to the stomach. There is no flavour factor involved for me. I am in misery with just one bite and it ruins anything else I try to eat after.

I took chef training, so I know how to use other spices to maximum, and there is a reason hot sauce comes in a bottle.
You are not the first person I have heard this about, with spicy food problems.

Ham (or ham hocks) and Bean soup

Mine is pretty easy and just use the bones, maybe a little garlic and onion and water and let it simmer all day or even overnight, then add the beans and cook till soft. I let the smokey flavor of the bones be the seasoning for the soup. If the beans start breaking down, that makes it better IMHO that gives it a more heartiness and I prefer some beans to break down and some to hold up...any variety will do and I've even mixed them....black, Great Northern, Navy, Pintos, red or kidney beans, and/or whatever you prefer. If using hocks, you may want to take them out and get whatever meat available off the bone and fat.

Then just add some cornbread

Ham (or ham hocks) and Bean soup

Mine is pretty easy and just use the bones, maybe a little garlic and onion and water and let it simmer all day or even overnight, then add the beans and cook till soft. I let the smokey flavor of the bones be the seasoning for the soup. If the beans start breaking down, that makes it better IMHO that gives it a more heartiness and I prefer some beans to break down and some to hold up...any variety will do and I've even mixed them....black, Great Northern, Navy, Pintos, red or kidney beans, and/or whatever you prefer. If using hocks, you may want to take them out and get whatever meat available off the bone and fat.

Then just add some cornbread
I do like bean soup with ham or ham hocks. I really do prefer ham hocks, but they are not always so easy for me to find. I try to keep some in the freezer. I like to cook the ham hocks until they are falling apart as well. I like the beans breaking down as well. Remember the childhood rhyme, "Peas Porridge hot." It makes me think that a pot of peas were cooked and then day by day stuff was added to the pot. I imagine that the first peas broke down and there were layers of textures.
A friend of mine told me that she soaks her beans during the day and puts them in the crockpot overnight. I have tried that and I like doing that. Then I have soup ready to eat the next day, and have even had it for breakfast.

Peas porridge hot,
Peas porridge cold,
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old.

Some like it hot,
Some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot,
Nine days old.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/olive-garden-pasta-e-fagioli-soup-copycat-recipe/
Pasta e Fagioli Soup

Pasta e Fagioli Soup {Olive Garden Copycat Recipe}
This Pasta e Fagioli is one of my all time favorite soups and one of my most popular recipes! It's loaded with vegetables and brimming with Italian flavor. It's perfectly comforting, hearty and absolutely delicious!
Servings: 6 servings
Prep15 minutes
Cook35 minutes
Ready in: 50 minutes
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
  • 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
  • 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 14.5 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup water, then more as desired
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup dry ditalini pasta
  • 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • Finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese , for serving
  • 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley

Instructions
  • Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, crumble in ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
  • Drain fat from beef then transfer beef to a plate, set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in same pot.
  • Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium-high heat until tender about 6 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
  • Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and cooked beef then season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile prepare ditalani pasta according to directions on package, cooking to al dente.
  • Add cooked and drained pasta to soup* along with kidney beans and great northern beans. Thin with a little more broth or water if desired.
  • Allow to cook 1 minute longer. Stir in parsley, serve warm with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Notes
*If you don't plan on eating all of the soup right away I recommend adding the pasta to individual servings. Otherwise pasta gets soggy and absorbs too much broth.

Carrots, with skins
Celery stalks and leaves
peppercorns
bay leaves

My mom and I would make broth when she was living. Have not made it since☹️!

https://www.cookingclassy.com/olive-garden-pasta-e-fagioli-soup-copycat-recipe/
Pasta e Fagioli Soup

Pasta e Fagioli Soup {Olive Garden Copycat Recipe}
This Pasta e Fagioli is one of my all time favorite soups and one of my most popular recipes! It's loaded with vegetables and brimming with Italian flavor. It's perfectly comforting, hearty and absolutely delicious!
Servings: 6 servings
Prep15 minutes
Cook35 minutes
Ready in: 50 minutes
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
  • 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
  • 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 14.5 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup water, then more as desired
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup dry ditalini pasta
  • 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • Finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese , for serving
  • 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley

Instructions
  • Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, crumble in ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
  • Drain fat from beef then transfer beef to a plate, set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in same pot.
  • Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium-high heat until tender about 6 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
  • Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and cooked beef then season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile prepare ditalani pasta according to directions on package, cooking to al dente.
  • Add cooked and drained pasta to soup* along with kidney beans and great northern beans. Thin with a little more broth or water if desired.
  • Allow to cook 1 minute longer. Stir in parsley, serve warm with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Notes
*If you don't plan on eating all of the soup right away I recommend adding the pasta to individual servings. Otherwise pasta gets soggy and absorbs too much broth.
An elderly friend and I make this, she copied it from Olive Garden. We cook a batch of ditilini pasta on the side and add it to bowls before eating, I don't like mushy pasta!!

https://thecozycook.com/italian-wedding-soup/
Italian Wedding Soup
Servings: 6 people
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
This Italian Wedding Soup can be made on the Stove Top, Crock Pot, or the Instant Pot! Make it with homemade meatballs, or use frozen meatballs for an quick and easy dinner idea!
Ingredients
  • ▢1 Tablespoon olive oil
Meatballs
  • ▢½ lb. ground beef, 80% lean
  • ▢½ lb. ground pork
  • ▢1 egg, beaten
  • ▢1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs, homemade is best
  • ▢¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated into a powder
  • ▢3 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • ▢1/3 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
  • ▢salt & freshly ground pepper
Soup
  • ▢1 ¼ cups carrots, diced
  • ▢1 ¼ cups yellow onion, diced
  • ▢¾ cup celery, diced
  • ▢1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • ▢8 cups chicken broth,
  • ▢2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • ▢salt/pepper
  • ▢¾ cup acini de pepe pasta, uncooked
  • ▢8 oz. fresh spinach
To Garnish
  • ▢Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
  • ▢Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
Stove Top Method (See notes for Crock Pot and Instant Pot Methods)
  • Note: If you anticipate leftovers, I recommend cooking and storing the pasta separately as it absorbs a lot of broth during storage. You can add the pasta right to serving bowls and ladle the soup on top.
  • Gently combine the meatball ingredients, don’t overwork the meat, we want tender meatballs.
  • Roll the meat into 1-inch balls. This will give you about 35 meatballs.
  • Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
  • Brown the meatballs in batches for 2-3 minutes. The inside of the meatball will finish cooking in the soup.
  • Remove the meatballs and set aside.
  • Add the onions, carrots, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened.
  • Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute.
  • Add the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper if desired.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat to medium. Add the meatballs and pasta.
  • Simmer for 10 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
  • Stir in the spinach.
  • Garnish with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve!
Notes
Pro Tips:
  • Orzo pasta can be used instead of Acini De Pepe Pasta as well.
  • If you plan on having leftovers, it’s a good idea to keep the pasta separate and add it to serving bowls before serving as the pasta absorbs a lot of broth during storage.
Crock Pot Method
  • Assemble and brown the meatballs as outlined in stove top method above. Transfer to the Crock Pot along with the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken broth, and Italian seasoning.
  • Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
  • Add the acini de pepe and cook on low for 30 minutes.
  • Stir in the Spinach and heat through until wilted, about 3 minutes.
  • Top with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and serve!
Instant Pot Method
  • Gently combine the meatball ingredients and roll the meat into 1-inch balls.
  • Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the olive oil.
  • Brown the meatballs in batches for about 3 minutes, until all sides are brown.
  • Remove the meatballs and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
  • Add the chicken broth. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pot to release the brown bits, his helps mitigate the burn indicator that we tend to see with Instant Pots.
  • Add the Italian seasoning and meatballs.
  • Close the lid and seal the valve. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes.
  • Flip the quick release valve and allow the steam to escape.
  • Add the acini de pepe and press the sauté button. Cook for 9 minutes.
  • Stir in the spinach, garnish with fresh Parmesan and parsley, and serve!
Nutrition
Calories: 344kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Sodium: 1398mg, Potassium: 887mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 8126IU, Vitamin C: 38mg, Calcium: 126mg, Iron: 4mg
Course: Soup
Cuisine: Italian
Author: Stephanie

Latest posts

Back