Soup vs. Stew (what is "official" difference..??)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
In culinary arts school, what is the "OFFECIAL" distinction" between a soup and a stew...???

I use corn starch in chili and in asian soups to thicken. Don't care for runny chili. Also, traditional hot n sour or egg drop soups are thicker than usual american soup. Asian restaurants use corn starch.

I've never thickened or thinned chili. I put the meat, beans, onions, tomatoes in the pot and cook it. It is pretty thick.
Me too. If it's too thin it simply means it needs to simmer with the lid off for a while to cook off the water.

When I want a good thick stew I put in Stinging Nettle chopped up. It will help and it makes the stew tons more nutritious / good for you. If you use Nettle you can omit Bay Leaves.

Me too. If it's too thin it simply means it needs to simmer with the lid off for a while to cook off the water.

When I want a good thick stew I put in Stinging Nettle chopped up. It will help and it makes the stew tons more nutritious / good for you. If you use Nettle you can omit Bay Leaves.
I have never cooked with nettle. I have only encountered nettles once in my life, while cleaning up the grave of a gg aunt in eastern Nebraska.

No ground chili powder?
Yes, ground chili powder. Probably a few other spices as well, garlic, salt, maybe others, even a little turmeric. I used to make chili a few times each winter, but I haven't made any in a while. I tend to look at my spices when I cook, and add a little of this or that, that I think fits. I know some people follow recipes to the letter.

Yup, I always figured if you can stand a wooden spoon up in it, then it's stew.

Sounds like Cowboy Coffee. When you think it is ready you drop a bullet or a horseshoe in. If it sinks it's not done yet.

I have always been a fan of stews and thick, heavy soup. I do not care for thin brothy soup. I guess I don't have the patience (or the manners) to eat broth with a spoon. I want to put it in a mug and drink it. :confused2:

Try bulkfoods.com - run a search and you will find several types. Just looking through the spice list you won't find it under chili powder, it's listed under the names. Dark chili powder is under the D's in their alphabetical list.

Back