source of salt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was at the feed store the other day and noticed big bags of morton salt. This was not softener salt or salt for icy side walks.
These bags looked to be about 50 pound size. I asked the fella there what the salt was for. Was expecting him to say for sauerkraut. He said most guys buy it for salting hides. This is regular salt, doesn't have iodine added to it.

I brought this up as a source of salt. Not sure if other feed stores sell salt like this. Probably do

@randyt my local amish store...a grocery store..keeps the 50# of morton salt. they are the last place to keep on hand/shelf a few other morton products as well.

one thing i have noticed is specialty salts getting a bit tight..not impossible mind you..but one source a family member used doesnt have it as of now..himalayan salt...thats the best salt ever.

different salts have very different tastes to me.

At my local feed store they sell feed salt. It has some trace minerals in but is cheap and fine ground. I sometimes use that for hides. The minerals don't discolor the skin and no iodine so no weird blue color. I probably wouldn't mind eating it either. The little salt you use to begin with and small amount of minerals wouldn't hurt you.

Learned that tip on a tanning page. Canning salt gets expensive when you use it to dry/preserve hides.

the one thing morton sells thats really hard to get is mortons tender quick...its a must have for off grid or in certain situations. its a nitrite/nitrate cure..it is what causes cured meats to get the pink hue to them from its reaction.it kills bad bacteria's or prevents them from forming...salt alone does not do that it only dries it out.... theres others source goes by different names..cure #1 and cure #2 many call it 'pink salt'...it is not salt its the nitrite/nitrate stuff and has different strength to the 2 items. i think its called prague powder often as well.it is NOT himalayan salt and i seen folks confuse the two items.

if interested this is the place for recipes of lots of cures from around the world...

sonoma mtn sausages

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#DRY
This is absolutely awesome, thanks. I actually picked up a whole lot of sausage casings today to make droe wors and boer wors (types of South African sausage). So I will look through those recipes and see what else I can try my hand at.

the one thing morton sells thats really hard to get is mortons tender quick...its a must have for off grid or in certain situations. its a nitrite/nitrate cure..it is what causes cured meats to get the pink hue to them from its reaction.it kills bad bacteria's or prevents them from forming...salt alone does not do that it only dries it out.... theres others source goes by different names..cure #1 and cure #2 many call it 'pink salt'...it is not salt its the nitrite/nitrate stuff and has different strength to the 2 items. i think its called prague powder often as well.it is NOT himalayan salt and i seen folks confuse the two items.
I completely forgot about tender quick. I buy it for my mom to make me thurenger (hamburger sausage).
At my local feed store they sell feed salt. It has some trace minerals in but is cheap and fine ground. I sometimes use that for hides. The minerals don't discolor the skin and no iodine so no weird blue color. I probably wouldn't mind eating it either. The little salt you use to begin with and small amount of minerals wouldn't hurt you.

Learned that tip on a tanning page. Canning salt gets expensive when you use it to dry/preserve hides.
I never even thought about critter salt. I've only done a couple of small hides.

[QUOTE="LadyLocust, post: 324544, I never even thought about critter salt. I've only done a couple of small hides.
[/QUOTE]
The feed salt is made for cattle and sheep and stuff like a granular mineral block. Most of it is salt though. You don't need it for hidesif the weather is right but I use it to absorb the flesh juices and make it so salty little bacteria can grow until the hide dehydrates enough where it can't grow.

if interested this is the place for recipes of lots of cures from around the world...

sonoma mtn sausages

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#DRY

Great post. I love the old school websites where everything is at your fingertips and not buried under 100 clicks. Bookmarked!

edit, my wife browsed some of the recipes and gave it two thumbs up. So I know this is a great site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back