Sources for Food Storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been wanting to start this thread for a while, sources for food storage. There are many! Please share sources that you have found.

Walnut Creek
Today, I saw this one, Walnut Creek. Has anyone ever been to one of their stores? I know they have stores in Ohio and Michigan. There may be stores in more states. Walnut Creek has Amish and Mennonite food sources. They also do mail order.

There are recipes on their website.

https://www.walnutcreekfoods.com/

Visit Us
Shopping at Walnut Creek Cheese—Where It’s Not Just Food but Fun!

We’ve been asked what motivates 10,000 to 20,000 people to shop in our store every week. After all, the town of Walnut Creek has only 600 people. Our customers give us the best answers:
· “I've never been in a store like this before. I love it!”
· “It's not just the excellent food but the atmosphere at Walnut Creek Cheese.”
· “I can afford to stay overnight in Amish Country once a month with the savings I get by shopping in your store.”
· “This is more fun than Disneyland!”

Indeed, we designed a store where value and fun are not mutually exclusive.

We’ve done this by creating a shopping experience that showcases the most delicious foods of Amish Country. Obviously, our name says cheese, but that’s only the beginning. Our Deli is chock full of local cheese and deli meats. The freshness comes not only from our huge volume but also from the fact that we never slice your product until you order it. All this at savings per pound that justifies driving right past the Supers and Big Box stores to get our award-winning cheese and meats.

Folks bring coolers to haul home pork chops, hamburger, steaks and chicken from our Meat Shop. In the back room we blend spices from our special recipes and smoke our sausages. Our own Uncle Mike’s Beef Jerky has lots of fans because of its tenderness and savory flavor. We offer you tremendous value by not taking shortcuts on the quality of our ingredients.

Local Amish and Mennonite farmers raise fruits and vegetables that we sell in Produce. This provides revenue for them and, in return, they support us by shopping in our store. This system works for both of us but, most importantly, it gives you the freshness and value you want in your fruits and vegetables—and we’re “plum proud” of our produce!

We feature Ohio Amish Country’s largest selection of bulk foods. Shopping bulk foods is the best way to save money because none of your food dollars go to support national-brand advertising or excessive packaging. We bag these items on the premises, and you can always request the size bag you want. Our large selection of bulk spices will help you make your meals with that perfect taste and seasoning.

Our Test Kitchen is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Here we whip up main dishes and desserts for you to sample. But, best of all, we share these easy recipes with you. It’s a great place for getting that food idea that will make your next meal special. Our Test Kitchen is also where we get your feedback for the new products we’re developing. We value your opinions, and they have made our products better.

One of the departments where your opinions have made a difference is our Bakery. When we founded our Bakery a few years ago, we realized that we needed to go beyond pouring pre-made fruit fillings into pie crusts or warming up frozen pies that had been made in a huge factory. We knew we had to make them from scratch. And why not? That’s the way it’s done in homes in Amish Country. But even these local recipes are different from one another. It was fun getting input as to which recipes taste best. Obviously you’ve made the right choices because our Bakery sales have exceeded all expectations. The Bakery is filled with melt-in-your-mouth dinner rolls, homemade breads, cookies and bursting-with-fruit pies. The most popular items are those small but delectable fry pies. We sell thousands of them every week. Our bakery items are made fresh daily, so showing up at the end of the day can be a gamble you may not want to take!

Right next to the bakery is our sampling room at The Cannery where we make our own jams, jellies, mustards and barbecue sauces. We also bake six varieties of granolas and cook our own corn mush. You can sample many of these Cannery foods, so you can find that favorite jam or jelly.

Butter Churn Kitchenwares has thousands of practical and and decorative items for your kitchen and dining room. Our Butter Churn team is always looking for unique, hard-to-find items that make a great addition to your kitchen. One example: We have the area’s largest selection of Amish and Mennonite cookbooks. Yes, our store has everything for the kitchen—“ from smoked bacon to the ice cream scoop” … “from eggs to the popcorn bowl.”

While Walnut Creek Cheese has been designed to give you the best values, we also want to help you unwind and enjoy your visit. That's why we've put our Mudd Valley Creamery right in the middle of our store. This is a place to relax and enjoy a sandwich or salad and, of course, ice cream. Our Mudd Valley Custard is so smooth and delicious that, after your first lick, you’ll already be starting to “plot” when you can come back for more! A short ride up our elevator to the second floor will take you back in time 100 years. Up there we have seating for 200. You are surrounded by museum-quality antiques set up as an old-time general store with storefronts from a bygone village street. It's a real memory maker!

Finally, we guarantee the quality of everything we sell. We also guarantee its value. If you’re not 100% happy with our products, we’ll give you a full refund. We want you to be happy—so, yes, we guarantee that you’ll enjoy your time with us! Remember, at Walnut Creek Cheese the main course is food—but with a second helping of fun.

http://walnutcreekcheese.com/shop

These are the categories of foods that they have.

Last edited:
I've never used Walnut Creek but I've purchaced quite a bit from Augason farms, Thrive, Emergency Essentials and My Patriot Supply. My main supply is home grown, home canned stuff.
I think many of us use a variety of sources, from our grocery store, to Costco, Sam's and more. I have ordered many items from Emergency Essentials, and have stuff from other places. I am hoping we can help each other find foods that are better and make recommendations for products.

Never been to Ohio, but I go to Glenn's Bulk Foods in Hutchinson. They have a website, but I don't think they ship. Also go to Kansas Station in Yoder, and they have bulk, a large deli, some bakery and they have a website. I find deals in bulk and salvage at Yoder Discount Grocery. Great store. No website.

I've never used Walnut Creek but I've purchased quite a bit from Augason farms, Thrive, Emergency Essentials and My Patriot Supply. My main supply is home grown, home canned stuff.

I believe that home grown, home canned, and home preserved is essential for long term survival.

One of the things I will do, or you can do so as well, is to add links for these sites. Sometimes finding a site is easy, sometimes not. Would it be easier to view each of these in a single post response as opposed to several in one? I am hoping this can be a resource that we can go to and search easily.

Emergency Essentials: A great company out of Utah. I have a number of items from them. This is where I first got gamma seal lids.

A friend of mine told me that she ordered raspberries in a #10 can from them and they were like eating candy. If only we could come up with dairy that we could say the same thing about.

They have much more than food. BTW, I am hoping someone will start a thread about sources of recommended equipment.
https://www.beprepared.com/

Augason Farms through Walmart

I have never ordered from them. I did see somewhere, years ago, that one of their stores carried products. One Saturday, I drove many miles to go check it out. Nope, they did not have any food storage in the store.

They have #10 cans and buckets, 55 gallon barrels for water.

What I like about their website is that people have given feed back for their products. It is interesting how some have close to 5 star ratings, and others do not.
https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/augason-farms

Thrive

I think this is what you are talking about, Thrive Life food? It is a multi-level marketing company. It is possible that someone here is a dealer. I am not a dealer and have never purchased any foods from them. I do believe when you purchase from Thrive, you purchase from a dealer.

From watching a few videos, people love their products, dried in #10 cans . Some people make this their daily food. Isn't that what food storage is supposed to be? According to what I have heard people say, there are no additives or preservatives.

https://www.thrivelife.com/shop

My Patriot

I have never heard of this company. I see that they have food, seeds, water purification and air purification. They also have gear.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/?rfsn=1248715.1bf06&subid=2461993d-e65f-005c-8a05-3d5114c9f6a3

There is also Honeyville but I've never ordered from them. Wal-Mart carries some of the Augason Farms products on their website.
Honeyville also does YouTube videos about meals in a jar, one way of organizing food storage.
https://www.youtube.com/user/HoneyvilleFoods

Honeyville

Bakery
Beans & Peas
Drink Mixes
Emergency Supplies
Flours
Freeze Dried Food Storage
Gluten Free
Grains
Kitchen
Organics
Rice Products
Seed Products
Soy, TVP Products
Hearty Foods

https://shop.honeyville.com/

If you want to pack your food storage yourself take a look at www.bulkfoods.com
Just an example: you can get 14 lbs of banana chips for $32.49 at Bulkfoods and you would pay $57.99 for a 10lb bucket from Emergency Essentials.
You have to figure if doing it yourself is cheaper than buying it ready for storage as in the bucket from EE
Bulkfoods also has a large amount of veggies. Things like asparagus,beets,kale and even horseradish (lol)

If you want to pack your food storage yourself take a look at www.bulkfoods.com
Just an example: you can get 14 lbs of banana chips for $32.49 at Bulkfoods and you would pay $57.99 for a 10lb bucket from Emergency Essentials.
You have to figure if doing it yourself is cheaper than buying it ready for storage as in the bucket from EE
Bulkfoods also has a large amount of veggies. Things like asparagus, beets, kale and even horseradish (lol)

I wonder where they are located? They do have foods that other places do not.
"No minimum order. $5.00 shipping on orders over $75.00, 48 states.A family business established in 1938. Celebrating 80 years of supplying nutritional foods."

Never been to Ohio, but I go to Glenn's Bulk Foods in Hutchinson. They have a website, but I don't think they ship. Also go to Kansas Station in Yoder, and they have bulk, a large deli, some bakery and they have a website. I find deals in bulk and salvage at Yoder Discount Grocery. Great store. No website.
Glenn's Bulk Foods
It looks like they do not ship, but if a person were to be traveling through or nearby, it would be a place to check out.
https://www.glennsbulkfood.com/index.php

Yoder Discount Grocery does have a facebook page that shows a map of where they are located.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yoder-Market/1545676972359918

Yoder, Kansas has a merchants page with Yoder Market as one of the places listed. They show several photos of the store. https://www.yoderkansas.com/yoderdiscountgrocery

Last edited:
Golden Organics

http://www.goldenorganics.org/

"Specializing in Organic Ingredients & Bulk Foods
Our warehouse has the largest selection of organic products on the front range. We supply the best organic bulk ingredients for your home or business. We sell by the bag, by the truckload and all orders in between.

Although our purchasing network is worldwide, we buy from local and regional farmers whenever possible.

Our well-stocked Arvada warehouse is conveniently located near I-70 just west of Denver and is certified organic by the Colorado Department of Agriculture and kosher by Scroll K/Vaad Hakashrus Denver."

They deliver in the Greater Denver area, you can pick up at the warehouse, or you can have your order shipped to you.

This is a wholesale warehouse that sells to the public. I am not someone who is all about organics, but they have food items in bulk that I haven't found other places. It is just a few blocks (less than a mile's drive) off of I-70, if you are driving through or are in the Denver area.

They have a product list that you can download in excel. I didn't see prices, but they included them in the past. They have many varieties of foods in their categories.

Food is bulk. It will need to be packaged when you get home in the manner of your choice--mylar, buckets, jars, cans.

Baking
Beans
Canned
Cereals
Dried fruit
Feeds
Flour
Grains
Lentils
Non-foods
Nut butters
Nuts
Oils
Pasta
Peas
Rice
Eco-Farmed rice
Seeds
Spices
Sweeteners
Trail mixes

4941 Allison St., Units 1-4
Arvada, CO 80002
303-456-5616 phone
303-456-5449 fax
Open Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-3 p.m.

You can also submit orders at:
[email protected]

You know what I find interesting? There are no companies like EE or Honeyville,etc on this side of the Mississippi

You know what I find interesting? There are no companies like EE or Honeyville,etc on this side of the Mississippi

There are probably a bunch of reasons. The Mormans are big on food storage and were run out of the east back in the 1800's, lower taxes, more land available for facilities, their closer to the growers so fresh food doesn't have to be shipped as far.

This awesome co-op delivers bulk, refrigerated, and frozen goods all across the country at selected drop locations. (If there is not one near you, you can form your own "drop" if you meet a minimum order.

Most of the items they carry are either non-GMO or organic. They also sell quality herbs in bulk, tinctures, capsules, etc. Plus many non-food items, garden supplies, plants (in season), farm supplies and animal feed.... the list is seemingly endless!

https://www.azurestandard.com/

I agree with other responses about your post, however, I think there are some places that are more family owned places. I haven't gotten into searching online for other places. I do know there are smaller companies.

This awesome co-op delivers bulk, refrigerated, and frozen goods all across the country at selected drop locations. (If there is not one near you, you can form your own "drop" if you meet a minimum order.

Most of the items they carry are either non-GMO or organic. They also sell quality herbs in bulk, tinctures, capsules, etc. Plus many non-food items, garden supplies, plants (in season), farm supplies and animal feed.... the list is seemingly endless!

I recently threw away a catalog from them that was several years old. They have a very extensive product list. Their February specials are in a flyer that is a 43 pages long pdf.

Instead of downloading the PDF, I use their website and check out the specials as well as everything they carry...

By the way, their service is stellar. If for any reason you are not happy with something, they knock themselves out to make it right, with absolutely no hassle. I love 'em.

Well, Weedy, if you do decide to pass through Yoder, do it when I'm there and you can hang out at the farm and meet my relatives. And shop. There is also an awesome second hand store in Yoder run by Mennonite Ministries will stuff donated locally and at cheap prices. I find some old, useful, cool stuff there.

Well, Weedy, if you do decide to pass through Yoder, do it when I'm there and you can hang out at the farm and meet my relatives. And shop. There is also an awesome second hand store in Yoder run by Mennonite Ministries will stuff donated locally and at cheap prices. I find some old, useful, cool stuff there.
Thank you, Amish! Those are my kinds of stores to shop in.

Ready Made Resources
239 Cagle Road
Tellico Plains, TN 37385
www.readymaderesources.com

Food storage and emergency supplies, kitchen equipment, military surplus, and gas masks.

I get regular emails from them. It must be due to my research on gas masks.

The local Mormon Cannery I like to visit about once a year and you can order online. They also run a U-Pick farm here.
Thank you, Caribou.
Product Store Price* Online Price* More Information

The first price is when you go to their storefront/warehouse. The second price is the online price.

Apple Slices $67.50 $67.50 View Product Page
Beans, Black $33.00 $44.30 View Product Page
Beans, Pinto $33.00 $44.75 View Product Page
Beans, Refried $36.00 $45.25 View Product Page
Berry Drink Mix $54.00 N/A View Product Page
Carrots $51.00 $69.00 View Product Page
Dry Onions $45.00 $54.00 View Product Page
Granola $64.00 N/A View Product Page
Granulated Sugar $30.00 $45.25 View Product Page
Hard Red Wheat $21.00 $32.25 View Product Page
Hard White Wheat $22.50 N/A View Product Page
Honey $96.00 N/A Information Coming Soon
Hot Cocoa Mix $51.00 N/A View Product Page
Macaroni $27.00 $22.25 View Product Page
Nonfat Dry Milk $48.00 $60.00 View Product Page
Pancake Mix $32.00 N/A View Product Page
Peanut Butter $48.00 N/A Information Coming Soon
Potato Flakes $30.00 $36.25 View Product Page
Potato Pearls $51.00 N/A View Product Page
Quick Oats $22.50 $29.00 View Product Page
Regular Oats $24.00 $30.00 View Product Page
Spaghetti Bites $27.00 $26.50 View Product Page
White Beans $33.00 $49.75 View Product Page
White Flour $24.00 $31.00 View Product Page
White Rice $30.00 $38.75 View Product Page

https://providentliving.lds.org/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng

It looks like they are starting to have sales, but only in their centers, not for shipping.

file:///C:/Users/rmsporrer/Downloads/HomeStorageCenterOrderForm-US-short%20(15).pdf

By the way, their service is stellar. If for any reason you are not happy with something, they knock themselves out to make it right, with absolutely no hassle. I love 'em.

I've used them. It's been a few years, but it was a positive experience. Don't know if their model has changed, but a few years ago, they would deliver to certain drop sites. Just get an account, pick a drop site, place an order, and then show up at the alloted time to pick up your stuff. There is usually a drop site captain (or something like that) who sends out emails to everyone using the site to keep you informed.

Latest posts

Back