Southwestern Rock Art: Three Rivers Petroglyph Site

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
I finally went through all my pics of yesterday's adventure, and I still wound up with over 200 photos, but I didn't wanna cull any more because the scenic landscape & trail shots go with the petroglyph shots, the primo landscape is part of the experience, lol. These are NOT the 'Three Rivers' known to Pittsburgh Steelers fans, but three creeks which ultimately run together in the high desert of the Tularosa Basin, with Sierra Blanca to the east and magnificent scenery in every direction. If you like wide open spaces, that is... and there's no shortage of them here, lol. I spent several hours at this site, wandering around in shorts, T-shirt & hiking boots which I brought in one of my saddlebags on the bike; a very nice Park Host lady let me stash my riding suit, helmet & riding boots in a storage room at the Park HQ, which was very helpful. This is actually a "Nat'l Rec Site" as well as a historical site, and though the park only offers a limited number of campsites, there are other campgrounds farther up the access road to the east, under the escarpment of Sierra Blanca and its neighboring peaks & ridges. The sunny weather was excellent yesterday, it felt like 70* F on the trail, but it might have been a tad cooler... I was constantly moving around in search of petroglyphs to photograph, and there's no shortage of THEM either, with 21,000 petroglyphs already recorded, lol. That number alone makes this one of the largest (if not THE largest) rock art site in the Southwest! o_O

Of course, not ALL petroglyphs are ancient, there has been vandalism, plus some Old West cowboys might have scraped their initials or nicknames into the rock with their knives or spurs, lol. When you see a petroglyph which reads " '76 COOP" you may safely assume that it wasn't put there by some ancient denizen of the Southwest, lol. The big question is: was it put there by some cowboy in 1876, or put there by some friggin' jackhole tourist in 1976? If the former, it's pretty cool; if the latter, well, some folks should know better, aye? Anyway, let's get started on this excellent tour, we begin by rolling up US-54 to the turnoff for Three Rivers... there's a classic trading post right there on the highway, I took a few shots on the way in and stopped there on the way out to check out the merchandise (more on that later). I'll try to post these pics in a timely manner, only inserting captions where they are needed. Otherwise, you're riding in to the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site to do some hiking and eat a picnic lunch... I only had two beers during yesterday's adventure, one before my hike and one after, lol. Hiking felt really good on such a nice day, and once I reached the area where the petroglyphs began, along a basaltic ridge which rises above the surrounding high desert, I took a couple hits from a pipeload of chronic I hauled up there, lol. Had to get in the mood to trip on those petroglyphs... half the ancient stone carvers were probably high on peyote anyway, judging by their rock art, lol. :cool:

Here we go, rolling up to the "World Famous Three Rivers Trading Post!!!" Of course, I'd never HEARD of it until yesterday, but I live in a world of NARROW horizons, lol... ;)

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

Next we have artwork in the Park HQ building, plus shots of the lot & some facilities... :)

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

More on the facilities later, this is a nice place to camp but spaces are limited, unless you drive something like 8 miles farther up the paved access road to another campground. Facilities here were orderly and clean, no worries on that score. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Round #3 of pics, some folks say this first glyph is a bighorn sheep, but I reckon it's an alien... might even be Magus! :oops:

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

There were some cool lichens on some boulders, mostly on the northern sides of the rocks... :rolleyes:

P.S. Cool goat or bighorn sheep in Pic #7! :cool:

Last edited:
great photos! i love NM . lived there for many years but way up north. i used to love to go hiking in the hills and washes, lots of petraglyphs. also there a place up north near taos called pot creek where you can go hiking and find fossils like trilobites, ( i think thats what theyre called) sharks teeth, shells. ive seen sea shells embedded in rocks. best to go after a hard rain.

Round #6 of pics, starting with what appeared (to me) to be a hunting scene:

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

Can't tell if that's Magus behind this sheep, lol... :oops:

IMG_4282.JPG

Maybe that's a knife in his hand and he's just hunting the sheep from the flank, lol... 😒

IMG_4284.JPG

This bighorn sheep with three arrows in it has been photographed thousands of times, y'all may have seen it in National Geographic Magazine or some other publication... 😬

IMG_4285.JPG

Here's somebody's stanky old foot... or is it a slug on peyote? 🤪

IMG_4286.JPG

Looks like Magus again... 🤔

IMG_4287.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

More on the artwork in that last pic coming right up... if that isn't a galaxy at upper left, then I'm a monkey's uncle, lol. Make that a Dutch monkey's uncle, 10-4? 🙄

Round #11 of pics:

IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

Some of the rocks had cool colors, as seen in the next two pics! 🙂

IMG_4334.JPG

IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

Next one looks like a rabbit... 🤔

IMG_4337.JPG

And here we have a wingsuit pilot... possibly done by a poser, lol. 😒

IMG_4338.JPG

Maybe it's a bat, lol... or a flying squirrel, though I haven't heard of flying squirrels in the high desert. Maybe up in the mountain forests... 🙄

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

Infinity symbol? Or eyes? 😳

IMG_4341.JPG

Only the Shadow knows! Or the artist, lol... 😉

Last edited:
Round #13 of pics:

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

Somehow, this lichen-covered boulder below reminds me of 'Monkey Face' at Smith Rock State Park in Oregon, lol. 🤔

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4364.JPG

Approaching the sun shelter and rest area which marks the turnaround point for the narrow main loop trail... 🙂

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

Looks like Magus has been here, lol... perhaps this is an authentic message from the Old People. I'm thinking it says: "Your grandmother wears army boots!" 😉

Last edited:
Round #14 of pics, starting with these trees... or are they tepee lodges? 🤔

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

IMG_4370.JPG

Nice views from near that sun shelter... inspired by the petroglyphs, no doubt, some fools had to carve their names in the wood. 😒

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

Looks like Henry Rollins added his name, lol... 😳

IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

And we're back on the main loop trail, working our way down the west side of the ridge... 😎

IMG_4378.JPG

Note the rough ground and numerous trip hazards! If you visit this site, bring sturdy footgear and maybe a walking stick if you have trouble with balance, because the ground is definitely uneven in many places! Just sayin'... 😬

Round #20 of pics:

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

A group of photographers ascending the ridge to take late afternoon pics... 🙂

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

An aerial map showing the park and two trails (in green)... our trail went up and left. 🙄

IMG_4450.JPG

Relaxing and eating my late lunch at this table, then prepping to ride home... 🤠

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

That's actually cold milk in the Kombucha bottle, lol... it went well with my sandwiches (one ham, one PBJ). 😉

Round #21 of pics, now we're back at the trading post:

IMG_4454.JPG

A couple shots for Pearl, lol... 😉

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

Here I am in a past life... or maybe that's Bacpacker, lol. 😎

IMG_4457.JPG

Here's a guitar for Peanut! 🎸

IMG_4458.JPG

Some more tourist cr@p and an old saddle or two... I do like the bobcat painting! 😁

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

Nice "crow's feet" on this mountain man, lol... 😳

IMG_4462.JPG

I'm not big on trophy heads, but I like the painted skulls in these next shots, even if the skulls are fake, lol! 😍

IMG_4463.JPG

Round #22 of pics, should be the last round... didn't mean to post so many goldurned pics, but hey, we're talking about the ORIGINAL HOMESTEADERS, lol. 😉

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

Saw this wreck on the way home... actually, I saw it on the way up, but there was a State Trooper on site so I kept on rolling, and the wagon was still being recovered when I passed it again. 😒

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4469.JPG

Sunset from Alamo as I got closer to home:

IMG_4471.JPG

Might as well round out the set with some cat pics, lol... 🐱

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

That's Tiger & Crackhead putting one "inherited" chest or bureau to good use, lol... it fits right in that little nook, doesn't it? Meh, makes a handy cat ledge & cat cave, and I even store some extra quilts & blankets in it, aye? Magus, you can use whatever pics you like, you don't hafta ask, just send cash my way once you hit the BIG TIME!!! 😁

Last edited:
No, I have not been there... I've driven past Los Lunas many times on I-25, but I can't recall ever jumping off there. Too close to all that gangland trouble in Albuquerque, lol... might do some of those murderous gangbangin' fools some good to read the Ten Commandments, aye? ;)

The hand has an extra finger😳

Looks like the other fingers on the 2nd hand were chopped short and a 5th finger was made out of the trimmings, lol. The 1st & 3rd hands look normal, maybe the artist who did the 2nd hand was frying on peyote at the time... 🤪

I'll be returning to that site, there's an ancient village which has been excavated and I wanna see that, plus the trail I hiked continues farther along that ridge, where there are more petroglyphs to be seen. :D

It was kinda fun, wandering around in that warm high desert sunshine and looking for petroglyphs... it beat hanging out in Compton, North Philly and the Lower Bronx, hands down, lol. ;)

P.S. Pics from all future excursions will be posted here in this thread... the site is only about 40 miles from my home, so I'll definitely be returning sometime this winter! :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back