Space Distraction

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend o' mine is more of a tech guy, he has an app called 'Star Walk' on his smart phone, all he does is hold the phone up in any direction and the app shows you the constellations. Pretty cool app, and I'm NOT a tech guy, lol... but I'm thinking ancient mariners would've killed for this one, aye? ;)

On Stellarium...you can click on the lower right side of the screen and enter a date, and you can pinpoint your location by tapping on the small gray rectangle on the lower left; or pinpoint a planned stargazing location to see what the sky conditions could be like at that time.

My Linux version has menus for all that and more.
It also mensions that it should not be used to get actual positions for stars and satellites.

well, if it was dark I would be able to see Procyon and Sirius in the southern sky and if you used them as two stars in an equilateral triangle the third star is Betelgeuse. All very visible with a clear sky. But my sky is overcast and it is not even near sundown so it is just worthless information unless you have a space ship. :)
By sundown Sirius will be below the horizon, Betelgeuse will be close and Procyon would be out of sight.
I really need a space craft! ;)

Has anyone been watching the planets Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn lined up low in the morning sky for the past 2-3 weeks? First time I saw it the moon was very close to them. Haven't saw them for a few days now

well, if it was dark I would be able to see Procyon and Sirius in the southern sky and if you used them as two stars in an equilateral triangle the third star is Betelgeuse. All very visible with a clear sky. But my sky is overcast and it is not even near sundown so it is just worthless information unless you have a space ship. :)

Orion has moved to where we don't see it but just briefly in the evening now (includes Betelgeuse). One reason I love winter is that Orion is visable for a long part of the night. It's my favorite constellation.

It is one of the easier ones to spot in the northern hemisphere. I am more interested in the stars within 50 light years. Sirius is only 8 Ly away Procyon is about 11??

I'm going by memory - it's only as good as that worn gap infested area of my brain... :)

Two meteor showers, Perseids and Alpha Capricornids, should be visible at the same time tonight and the next few nights. @Sourdough posted a link elsewhere and I had looked at the same earlier today but didn’t see anything about the meteor showers. I think there’s a third shower but not sure it’s visible in same hemisphere, Delta Aquariids.
https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-shower-calendar/

Two meteor showers, Perseids and Alpha Capricornids, should be visible at the same time tonight and the next few nights. @Sourdough posted a link elsewhere and I had looked at the same earlier today but didn’t see anything about the meteor showers. I think there’s a third shower but not sure it’s visible in same hemisphere, Delta Aquariids.
https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-shower-calendar/
There have been some really remarkable night skies lately!!

A few pics of the moon tonight. Was able to get some Earthshine showing in the shaded portion.

FE70B929-BF63-4E34-8E46-09CCA8142DE5.jpeg
0592111F-4C00-44CE-8AFF-1692DDD74D49.jpeg

In the fall the air gets dryer, the stars so much clearer. I see a lot more with my naked eye when it's cold and dry. I find myself waiting for some of my favorite stars to show up again. I enjoy these days but dread whats coming. Winter was the best time for my little telescope though.

@kd4ulw have you tried taking images of Messier objects? Your pic of Orion above got me thinking. Zoom in on the Orion nebula and stack a bunch of images and see what you get.

Latest posts

Back