Space Distraction

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got up earlier for the eclipse and just as the moon was getting ready to go into totality the clouds started moving in. 🙁 I was able to snap this before it was covered up.

83680102-8C22-4533-BF4B-5C69DFF5EC12.jpeg

Got up earlier for the eclipse and just as the moon was getting ready to go into totality the clouds started moving in. 🙁 I was able to snap this before it was covered up.

View attachment 97633
DW booted me out of my bed and the clock said: 4:44am to see it.
I remembered that because I am a .444 fan:).
It was a good thing, because just minutes later it was completely obscured by clouds for the rest of the eclipse.☹️

I was out this morning at about 5:15 walking my dog when I looked to the west and saw the moon. I stopped dead in my tracks - it was gorgeous and very much like your picture. Thanks for sharing this!

I have never been a star gazer, but we were having a neighborhood party back in mid October, and we were sitting around a fire at night. One of the neighbors had an app on his phone where he could point it at the sky, and it would tell what you were seeing. I was very impressed. Do any of you have that app?

I have StarWalk on my phone. It does what you describe.

I have never been a star gazer, but we were having a neighborhood party back in mid October, and we were sitting around a fire at night. One of the neighbors had an app on his phone where he could point it at the sky, and it would tell what you were seeing. I was very impressed. Do any of you have that app?
I have the app “Sky Map”. Does the same as the other ones, point the phone around at the sky, it shows stars, constellations, planets and such. Been happy with it, no issues except calibrating the phone now and again.

Yes, two of them!

Got a mostly clear sky Saturday night for a few hours after sunset. Wasn’t able to see the comet, too low and in the trees where I was. But, took some others since I was out.

This is a day before bright Venus and Saturn (above) appear closest to each other from our view.

View attachment 103032

Orion Nebula

View attachment 103033
I am curious, is that Orion pic as time exposure? Or just a snapshot? Taken with the 10" reflector?

I still don't have a good handle on "viewing" vs "timed exposure" images.

@PopPopT Maybe he's started using photo pills or photoshop. There are a few different programs you can use to enhance the images. I'm sure others can explain it better, but there are some amazing things that can be done with tech to make things look different from how we see it, which isn't to say that the created images are false.

@PopPopT It is a single 1 minute exposure on my camera attached to a tracking mount. I did take five pictures to see about combining them later for a more enhanced view on the computer, there’s multiple steps and different programs that have to be used ☹️, when I have time I will try that.

The timed exposure allows the faint bits of light to build on the camera sensor and usually brings out more detail. Orion is the brightest nebula in the night sky so it’s a relatively easy target.

My biggest obstacle in choosing the dslr or telescope is the size. If I have a good view from home and time I’ll use the telescope (along with hooking up the laptop to capture the images), but the camera alone is quick and easy to set up.

Latest posts

Back