Spaghetti trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seashell pasta shrubs do well in temperate climates and are popular along the coast in Italy.

My brothers used to try to convince new friends to go snipe hunting.
I don’t get the hunting snipe as a gag, because in many jurisdictions they are a game bird that is actually hunted. Could someone explain this to me please?

@The Innkeeper It was a gag but I don't know why they acted like it wasn't. (Edited to add: Well, duh, Patchouli). I did look it up in an encyclopedia as a kid and found that was true, what you're saying.
However, from Wikipedia:
" A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke, in existence in North America as early as the 1840s, in which an unsuspecting newcomer is duped into trying to catch a non-existent animal called a snipe. While snipe are actual birds, a snipe hunt is a quest for an imaginary creature whose description varies.

The target of the prank is led to an outdoor spot and given instructions for catching the snipe; these often include waiting in the dark and holding an empty bag or making noises to attract the creature. The others involved in the prank then leave the newcomer alone in the woods to discover the joke. As an American rite of passage, snipe hunting is often associated with summer camps and groups such as the Boy Scouts."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back