Spending a few days off grid.

Discussion in 'Bug out locations/homes' started by JAC, Dec 13, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 1, 2019 #31

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

My grandparents had a rattlesnake rattle collection from the various rattlers that were killed on their ranch. Since rattlers are dangerous, they were not moved or allowed to just go away. We never went to the outhouse at night, after it got dark. We used a chamber pot. Rattlers could be found on the front steps from time to time. Grandpa almost died from a rattlesnake bite.

I have been in situations where I couldn't see my hand in front of my face either.

I just read something about being prepared a few days ago: bullets, beans and flash lights. I know I have owned several over the years. They have mostly been replaced because they were damaged by leaky batteries, or better ones were available. I have some solar garden lights. I know that anything electronic has a limited life.

2. Jul 1, 2019 #32

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Thats when families had each other to help take up the slack too. Now families are busy, live too far to away help or in denial of anything happening.

lonewolf, LadyLocust and Weedygarden like this.
  3. Jul 1, 2019 #33

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

We use to have spring fed creeks and lakes to cool off in too. Or at least access to some. We had a spring fed lake in Stone Mountain Ga. and it was full of snakes mama would only shoot if they came too close and got aggressive. It was 10 acres and 45' deep in the middle. We'd bathe in the creek or spillway. Had lots of fish and wildlife . When mama bought the place it had a perfect lake site between 2 hills on both sides,she just had a dam backed up on one end.
    Sometimes we wash clothes on the flat rocks in the creek.

LadyLocust, Weedygarden and Bacpacker like this.
  4. Jul 1, 2019 #34

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Mama almost lost her leg from a rattler. It bit her in side our car she had parked on the hill so she could kick it off going down driveway. When she popped the clutch it struck. She opened the car door and shook it off her leg and said " you'll walk now you sob". We kids were crying and begging her to go to hospital,she finally did next day when leg was swollen. Dr said according to fang marks it was a big one, and couldn't imagine how she survived.

5. Jul 2, 2019 #35

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

The big ones aren't as dangerous. They can control the venom release. The smaller ones can't/don't.

6. Jul 23, 2019 #36

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Well thats good news but she did almost lose her leg and kept the fang marks and scars from infection. We didn't get to question the snake to see if he just wanted to release enough venom to half kill her or not. :LOL:

The PBR may of had something to do with it although I heard alcohol makes the poison worse. :dunno:

Along with the 38 slug in her right back shoulder right under her skin from a bullet that went in close range from her chest. She was hanging out clothes and a black man just walked up to her and fired then ran, never caught. She proves you ain't gonna die till its your time to go, I guess.