Spooky or Scary Stories

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In the spirit of the Halloween season, I thought I'd post this thread.:trick/treat:

I remember in the 80's hearing short spooky stories on our local radio station. I did some internet searches and found what I was looking for below. The serires was called Beyond the Limits, not to be confused with the Outer Limits, which was a TV show that was also pretty good.
https://www.halloweenforum.com/thre...tural-radio-vignette-series-any-leads.122645/
This is really the only thing I could find on the series. It seems as if it has disappeared..... It makes me sad. They were very short spooky stories that were creepily awesome at the time. I emailed the radio station that aired these stories back in the day, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Does anyone else remember this radio series? You'd think in this day and age, it would be on youtube or something, but I have come up empty.:(

Here's a link that someone posted on another thread here, Weedy maybe? Anyways, some of these stories put a chill up my spine.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest&page=2

Does anyone else have any short stories to share?

In the spirit of the Halloween season, I thought I'd post this thread.:trick/treat:

I remember in the 80's hearing short spooky stories on our local radio station. I did some internet searches and found what I was looking for below. The serires was called Beyond the Limits, not to be confused with the Outer Limits, which was a TV show that was also pretty good.
https://www.halloweenforum.com/thre...tural-radio-vignette-series-any-leads.122645/
This is really the only thing I could find on the series. It seems as if it has disappeared..... It makes me sad. They were very short spooky stories that were creepily awesome at the time. I emailed the radio station that aired these stories back in the day, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Does anyone else remember this radio series? You'd think in this day and age, it would be on youtube or something, but I have come up empty.:(

Here's a link that someone posted on another thread here, Weedy maybe? Anyways, some of these stories put a chill up my spine.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest&page=2

Does anyone else have any short stories to share?
Yes, I read through that thread a few years ago on survivalistboards. It looks like your link starts on page 2. This is the link to start at the beginning. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest

OMG, it took me more than a week to get through it. Of course, some people have had real scary experiences.

Edited! It seems I am the only one who likes to read these kinds of stories!

Last edited:
This is one of the stories from survivalistboards. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=685767&postcount=61

"I was camping with my wife one night on the Wekiwa riner in Florida. It was a great day, we canoed in and pitched hammocks in some Sweet Gum trees on a small island in the center of the river. Built a fire had dinner and layed in the hammocks and watched the sun go down. Couldnt ask for a better night. At some point we drifted off to sleep. I was sound asleep when I bolted upright in my hammock. It was absolutly silent and the kinda dark that would make a coal miner uneasy. I have spent alot of time in the woods and dont scare real easy, but I grabed my flashlight and shined around the little island, everything was ok. Then I shined it down to the ground. The island was absolutely crawling with carpenter ants, thousands, millions of them. They didnt really scare me, they are not particularly aggressive, but that many of them is unsetteling to say the least. It was about this time that my wife woke up, i didnt know you could stand up in a hammock. And the scream she let out probably hurt some blue whales ears in the Pacific somewhere. I kept telling her to calm down, they weren't going to bother us, I hoped, but that was it the camping trip was over! She wanted out and I mean right then, without delay. So i reached around and got a palm frond and lit it with a zippo and used it like a flaming broom to swep the ants out of my way. Started packing up, keeping everything in the hammocks to keep the ants off. When I had it all packed I went over and flipped the conoe upright, it was black on the inside, they had taked over our ride out. More screaming, mainly along the lines of "why did I let yo utalk me into this". SO I took another flameing broom and swept out the ants. Then got it in the water, had to piggyback my wife to the conoe, that was real interesting getting her in and not turning it over. Then I loaded the boat took down the hammocks and we headed up the river to where we put in. Florida rivers are interesting places at night, lots of gators and other shiney eyed critters out and about. My wife would not help me paddle, she gripped my flashlight like a light saber and swung it from side to side as if she was fending off Darth Vader. Needless to say the trip upriver was interesting to say the least. We finally got the launch and loaded up and went home. To this day she still will not go anywhere near a canoe, a kayak yes, but not a canoe."

I was a young man, both my roommates attended college. The father of one developed a sudden and very serious health issue. He had to fly home across country. It was unclear when he would return, if at all. It looked like he would have to stay and take over the family business.

He booked a flight 2 days out and started packing. Most of his belongings would have to be shipped later. Two other close friends wished to go to the airport with us. My roommate wanted to get to the airport 2 hours before the flight. Have time to get some breakfast, have time to talk, reminisce and say our goodbyes. As usual I got stuck planning the details. Simple to plan, flight left at 9am. We left home at 6am and picked our other 2 friends.

Except we didn’t get to the airport 2 hours before the flight. We got there 15 minutes before the flight which was on schedule. It was a mad dash to get to the gate…

One hour and 30 minutes plus disappeared from the face of the earth that morning. I drove that route to work every day… I knew exactly how long the drive took… We all knew the exact time we left the big town for the big city/airport. We had all made that airport trip multiple times in the past.

Our friend never returned to college but he was as confused as we were as to what happened that morning via phone conversations. Over the next few years when 2, 3 or 4 of us who were left in town met at a party or ballgame etc… We would always end up in a corner talking about that morning! A drive that took me an hour on a daily basis took over 2 hours and 30 minutes that morning with absolutely no explanation… We all agreed on the facts, the time we left town for the city, every detail. It bothered us for years.

We never found an answer… :dunno:

Last edited:
Post 100 from the survivalistboards creepy stories:

"I knew from passed experience that I heightened sensory awareness when compared to my peers. I grew up always being aware of moods of people and rooms and picked up on things that my siblings didn't and as I got into young adulthood I realized that I could feel distrust and dishonesty from a handshake or just being near a person that appeared above board on the outside but was evil beneath. I had the knack of feeling another life form present if it were near me especially if it was one that I was not accustomed to. Below is an accounting of a few of those experiences, bear in mind they are not in the woods but scary none the less.

My husband and I had gone for a very long bike ride and came home and showered and settled in for the night. We lived in a two story house that had each bedroom on the other side of the stairs. My baby was asleep in the room to the right of the stairs and around the corner to the left was our room. We soon fell into a deep sleep from exhaustion. At 4 am I sat up straight in my bed and looked around. I had no idea why I had sat up but I felt extremely uneasy. I shook my husband and told him that something was wrong and that he needed to go downstairs and look around. I had no idea what because I did not know why I woke up but I had a horrible feeling in my gut and again I poked him and told him to get up and he said go back to sleep honey its 4 am and it is storming you probably heard a tree limb or something and it woke you. Now there was heavy wind and I could hear rain that had not been in the forcast prior to sleeping so I reasoned that okay he could be right. I laid there and I felt so uneasy and had an uncontrollable urge to run across the hall and grab my lil 10 month old son and put him in bed with me. I thought to myself okay if he the husband wont bother to go round the house I wont either so with baby in my arms I fell back alseep. A few hours later I awoke to my husband shaking me and apologizing for his lack of response in the wee hours and he told me that our house had been broken into. Someone had broken the window of his car and had taken the garage opener and got into the garage. Stole our bikes and all of our tools but he said as they entered the house tools were on the floor where they must have been startled and sat them down and left. They must have heard me wake up and left the house.

The next time was a few years later we had moved to a city that I was unfamiliar with. I had left my husband and moved into a house down a street off the main road not far from a school. I didn't know the area well as we had lived there only for 5 mos. My boys were now 4 and 6.

My house was situated on a deep culdesac towards the end but on the lefthand side of this very wide culde sac. I was cooking dinner in the kitchen while the boys were playing and started feeling extremely uneasy. I felt this all through dinner and decided to walk outside to see if anything was going on. I looked at the house two down from me because the people were gone on vacation for a few weeks but everything appeared fine but I felt as if someone were watching me. I went back inside and started washing dishes. Again I felt that intense feeling of impending doom it was so strong that I even felt sick to my stomache so I turned off the kitchen light and just as I started to walk out of the kitchen I saw out of the corner of my eye movement in the dark outside it was so vague that I was not sure It was really a person out there so I went out the back sliding glass door and peered thru my tall wood fencing.

In the middle of the street sitting on top of a manhole I could see a figure. The man was very hard to detect because he was dressed in black and sitting down. He had a bag with him. Now I assumed he was staking out the house that my neighbors were not home at because of their extended stay so I quitely went inside and called the police. This was pre cell phone era 1996.

A bit later I saw a police car drive down the road and had a knock on my door and the police had me point to where the man was and give details and they said they were going to check out the house more closely to make sure no one had tried to break in. I felt relieved so I went back to my business of reading bedtime stories to my boys.
The phone rang again so I went in to answer and it was the police. The police told me to remain very calm but to do exactly what they told me to do and to do it in a very fast timely manner. They said that they had left the area and was the only car near and were speeding to my home. They wanted me to get the kids into the bathroom and lock the door and wait till they got there. They had no time to go into details but that I was in immediate danger.

Apparently another officer was on the beat next to my block and came across a white van that was empty. Upon running the license plates it belonged to very dangerous person that had raped a woman and tortured her and was on the run from another county. The other officer called it in and they had went to check it out and realized that it butted up against my culdesac. There was no fast way to my house so they called to warn me.

While I sat in that bathroom waiting for the police to arrive I had no idea why I was in the bathroom but of course I was very scared for my children and myself. I was quiet and luckily my boys were already asleep when I had picked them up and put them in the tub in the bathroom.

I heard a noise in the house but it was light clicking or taps and I felt a bit of panic because I felt another presence. I listened carefully thining perhaps it was the police trying to get in the front door it was locked. Again I heard a noise but it was coming from the direction of my bedroom. I had no idea why I was in the bathroom to begin with but I really did not like the idea of having no place to go and was contemplating grabbing up the kids and running to the car but as I got close to the bathroom door I could feel someone else in the house. I laid on the floor and tried to look under the door and tried to remain calm and stay quiet. I was so afraid my kids would wake up and make noise. Finally I heard the cops car outside and them at the front door banging on it. Then I heard them yell and run and lots of commotion so I slipped out of the bathroom. The officers found that bag by the side of my house. It had a bandanna, tape and rope inside and handcuffs. The things he had used when he previously had raped and tortured his victum. He had been watching ME for hours sitting in wait until a time to make his move which I had foiled because of my intuition. The man had ran from the officers and had jumped a fence. He got away that evening but was caught a week later.

I once went to a suicide call where a Chinese male, here in the U.S. on a student visa, had hung himself at least 14-15 days earlier. The scene was quite gruesome as not only was the male deceased but the apartment was sealed up tightly and the thermostat was set to 95 degrees. When processing the crime scene we found a whole lot of weird stuff, like tinfoil taped over the windows, tv screen, mirrors, and computer monitor. There were also tons of Chinese symbols scratched or carved into the walls, desk, dresser, table, etc. It was weird enough that we had an interpreter come in (and vomit) and tell us what they said. She essentially read the symbols as "the angry witch is watching me". We also found a laptop with a webcam and an external hard drive, all of which was wiped so clean that we could not recover 1kb of data.

I was a Lieutenant at the time and so it fell on me to contact the state department, who then put me in contact with the Chinese embassy, who then tracked down the man's family. Eventually I was put in touch with the man's wife so I could (re-)deliver the death message and make arrangements to have his personal property returned to her. As I spoke to his wife and started to offer my condolences she interrupted and said in poor English "Was it the Wupo? Did the Wupo get him?". I had no idea what a Wupo was so I explained it appeared to be self harm and that the coroner would have to make a ruling. His wife never cried, never sounded sad, but she did have a sort of fear in her voice. She told me she did not want ANYTHING and to destroy it all. I informed her that he had a Honda Accord and several hundred dollars in cash. She just said "Burn it" and hung up on me. I asked the interpreter what Wupo meant, she looked at me and said "Witch".

And that's not the end of this either. Following standard protocols most of his property was destroyed but things of value were taken for safekeeping and notification sent to the Embassy. Another Chinese male student, who was a close friend of the male who died, produced a letter from the Chinese consulate granting him ownership of the vehicle, laptop, cash, and other valuables. After several hoops were jumped through and permission granted, the property was turned over to the male. That male was found dead with his wrists cut about 5 months later.

Here is one my Grandparents told.
They lived in the hills of Arkansas. They had gone to the barn to milk their cow.
When they walked out of the barn back to the house they heard a lot of noise. They both said it sounded like a huge fight with furniture and firewood being thrown around inside the house.
When they got inside nothing was out of place and it was quiet. Their new baby was sleeping peacefully. The baby died the next day. They both said they thought the fighting they heard was over the sole of the baby.
Grandpa was a very down to earth guy and he was not one to make up stories. I believe every word they said.
It gave me chills then, and it still does.

I once went to a suicide call where a Chinese male, here in the U.S. on a student visa, had hung himself at least 14-15 days earlier. The scene was quite gruesome as not only was the male deceased but the apartment was sealed up tightly and the thermostat was set to 95 degrees. When processing the crime scene we found a whole lot of weird stuff, like tinfoil taped over the windows, tv screen, mirrors, and computer monitor. There were also tons of Chinese symbols scratched or carved into the walls, desk, dresser, table, etc. It was weird enough that we had an interpreter come in (and vomit) and tell us what they said. She essentially read the symbols as "the angry witch is watching me". We also found a laptop with a webcam and an external hard drive, all of which was wiped so clean that we could not recover 1kb of data.

I was a Lieutenant at the time and so it fell on me to contact the state department, who then put me in contact with the Chinese embassy, who then tracked down the man's family. Eventually I was put in touch with the man's wife so I could (re-)deliver the death message and make arrangements to have his personal property returned to her. As I spoke to his wife and started to offer my condolences she interrupted and said in poor English "Was it the Wupo? Did the Wupo get him?". I had no idea what a Wupo was so I explained it appeared to be self harm and that the coroner would have to make a ruling. His wife never cried, never sounded sad, but she did have a sort of fear in her voice. She told me she did not want ANYTHING and to destroy it all. I informed her that he had a Honda Accord and several hundred dollars in cash. She just said "Burn it" and hung up on me. I asked the interpreter what Wupo meant, she looked at me and said "Witch".

And that's not the end of this either. Following standard protocols most of his property was destroyed but things of value were taken for safekeeping and notification sent to the Embassy. Another Chinese male student, who was a close friend of the male who died, produced a letter from the Chinese consulate granting him ownership of the vehicle, laptop, cash, and other valuables. After several hoops were jumped through and permission granted, the property was turned over to the male. That male was found dead with his wrists cut about 5 months later.
Anyone who is a Christian knows that there are spirits, good and evil: angels, demons, etc. How they work, I do not know 100%. Each culture seems to have their version of good and evil.

There's lots of reports of people having the "bright white light" experience if they were dead and brought back to life. I know of a person who recently had this experience. He's not an overly religious person, but he is in really poor health. He has abused his body through the years and his family history isn't good either. He knows he is living on borrowed time, but after his last scare (while he was dead for several minutes in the ambulance) he is no longer afraid to die. He said the warm, bright, white light was so welcoming and pure. He said it was almost as if he could hear sights. He said he just couldn't describe the feeling as there just were no adequate words to explain what he felt. I'm glad he takes comfort in knowing death is not the end.

Every time I hear stories like that, it just strengthens my own faith.

Here's one I read today. I stumbled onto it in a forum that I've never been to before b/c I was looking for something else.
It definitely fits in this topic.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1249632/pg1

Maybe it's the season, being close to Halloween and all, but there's something that's been on my mind a lot lately. It has to do with a woman I love that I'm separated from right now.

To start off, a little background. She was convinced that some type of spirit or something had been following her around for most of her life. And I believe her. Weird things have happened when I've been around her. We'd be on the phone, her in her bedroom, and there'd be a huge scraping noise in the background. She'd look freaked out, go into the rest of the house to investigate and the dining room chairs would be pulled away from the kitchen table. Something was actually moving the furniture around.

One of the freakiest things though, happened one time while we were being intimate. About half way through, faucets in the house started turning on by themselves. We both walked around and witnessed it firsthand. It's by far one of the most obvious supernatural occurrences I've witnessed. Which brings me to the scariest part. It's something I never told her because I didn't want to scare her.

On probably the last real phone call we had with each other, she fell asleep. It was about 3 or 4 am, and we had a habit of just staying on the phone with each other even while we were asleep. We loved each other that much. Anyways, I'm sitting there, she's already asleep and I'm about to drift off, and I hear this weird static start to come over the phone and it turns into the most evil cackling laugh I could imagine. It lasted for about 5 seconds or so, then it was gone. I sat straight up, trying to convince myself it was nothing, but I knew what I heard. And the next day after that, she broke it off. In a flurry of excuses that didn't make sense to me. I was devastated.

Maybe this is me trying to rationalize what happened between us. I don't know. What I do know is that after I heard that laugh on the phone that night I knew deep inside somewhere that whatever was following her around didn't want us together. It wanted her right where she was. There's a big part of me that believes that whatever that thing is contributed to her breaking it off. As I said earlier though, maybe that's just me trying to rationalize what happened. But I can't ignore the strange occurrences and what I heard on the phone that night.

It's something that's been on my mind since all this went down, and I actually had a dream about it last night. So at this point I really don't know what to think.

Just thought I would share a truly strange experience that I can't stop thinking about.

Christmas Eve around 1995, I was on patrol searching for a teenage run away who made threats of self harm before fleeing his family's home. He had been missing about 6-7 hours at that point, which was especially disconcerting as the temps were dropping and we already had fresh snow on the ground. They tried to track him with a dog but had no luck. Meanwhile I was driving by a large city park when I saw a woman on the sidewalk frantically waiving her arms and pointing into the trees. I hit my ambers, called out, and ran into the trees where she was pointing. Sure enough there was the teen male with his wrist very crudely cut (using kitchen sheers). EMS arrived and he was taken to the ER, suffering from blood loss and hypothermia (the latter ultimately helping as much as hurting). As we were cleaning up the scene and taking pics, my Sergeant asked me how I found the boy. I told him the story and he asked what happened to the woman. I told him I had no idea as I never talked to her but pointed to where she was standing. He walked over, then walked back saying "If there was a woman standing there, why are there no footprints in the snow?". I didn't believe him so I looked for myself. Nothing. We 'decided' she must have been standing on the edge of the road instead, but I didn't really believe it. When we got back and were looking at the pics, we noted that the only tracks in the snow were the heavily trampled line from the vehicles to the teenage boy and back again. So how did this woman even see him in the trees? I went back and you could not see where he was from the sidewalk.

I stayed in a really old hotel one night. I locked the door, latched the chain, turned off all the lights and went to sleep.
I woke up around 1 AM and all the lights were on. The light switches were in the on position. I checked the door and it was still chained.
A guy I was working with was also staying there and he said the same thing happened in his room.
I told the story to a local guy he said everyone, knows the place is haunted.
We both checked out early and found a different hotel.
My wife's nephew was a spooky kid until he was around 5 or 6. He would see and talk to dead people. I asked him once if there were any dead people in my house. He stopped, looked around and said none inside but 2 outside, a man and a girl. The body of a 14-year-old girl was dumped very close to my backyard and the old guy that lived behind my house died a few years earlier. Both died long before the nephew was born and there is no way he knew any of that. He went with my wife to the cemetery to put flowers on his Grandma's grave and said he didn't like the old man over there. He was mean and pinched his nose.
He just acted like it was a normal thing and was never afraid. He eventually stopped but he really scared a lot of people.

Mare Island Naval Hospital. By 1930 it was a 2000 bed facility. It was the amputee center during ww2 for those who fought in the pacific. If a service member needed a prosthetic this is where they were sent. As such there were an unusually large number of suicides at this hospital, far more than a regular hospital.

The island also had a 10,000-man shipyard facility during and after the war. The number of suicides were well known in adjoining town of Vallejo. When I was there 40 years later it was common to meet men who either worked on the island as a civilian or was stationed there during the war. I heard all the stories from the locals.

At naval commands people are always on “watch” 24/7, 365 days a year. At most commands the midnight to 4am watch or in military time, 2400 to 0400, was known as the “Balls to 4” watch.

On more than one occasion I stood the “balls to 4” watch in the old naval hospital buildings at Mare Island. Except at this command this particular watch wasn’t known as the “balls to 4”. It was called the “George Watch”. In honor of the ghost (or ghosts) named “George” who haunted the buildings, men who died there during the war.

It was the most dreaded watch on the entire command. A friend might ask “are you on duty today?”… “Yep”… “Which watch?”… “The George Watch”… “Sorry to hear it”. Just seeing your name on a watch list assigned to that building at night would instill fear.

It was a spooky building in broad daylight… but in the middle of the night my skin would crawl. A watch stander had a flashlight… that was it, a fire watch. We had to wander the halls and sign check sheets at certain locations. Most of the lights were off, surrounded by old trees. It was always windy so close to the ocean, the wind was always blowing or moaning, shadows played in the hallways and rooms.

The buildings of the old hospital had been converted to classrooms or storage. Most buildings were 3 story with a basement, some had attic spaces. They were all connected. It was full of noise even if you were the only one in it! Doors and windows would rattle, doors would blow open or closed. It was a 70-year-old wooden building so it was always creaking… Unused parts of the buildings felt stuffy and smelled musty, especially the basements. The heat was steam so the pipes were always rattling or creaking. Twice while I was stationed there sailors were overcome by their fear and ran out of the building screaming in the middle of the night. Without doubt it was the creepiest, spookiest… (you name the adjective) building I have ever been in.

Edit to add... Did I leave out the part where a couple rooms still had old prosthetics hanging in them... Rooms with arms and legs dangling from hooks... that was the rumor anyway...
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
There's a place in Burkittsville Maryland called Spook Hill near a cemetery. I've never been there. It is said that at some point on a particular road you can take your foot off the gas and your vehicle will go UP the hill without any effort on your part. They say it is the ghost of a soldier from the Civil War doing the pushing.
A sidenote: there was an account of a group of Civil War reenactors who waited in the shrubbery on that particular road, probably at dusk, waiting for innocents to come and try the hill. In one case, they quietly came out and started pushing a vehicle full of teenage girls. One of the girls turned around and looked one of the "soldiers" dead in the eye and screamed. They disappeared back into the wooded area, trying not to laugh.

Latest posts

Back