Spraying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulescj8

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I wasn’t real sure where to post this but since it’s more or less agricultural related I thought I would post here:

So what is everyone using for fence rows, driveways etc for spray? I’m not talking about spraying a small area. I usually have to spray at least twice a year and I usually put out around 30 to 50 gallons at a time. I’ve tried different brands and some of it does ok for a few months and some of it doesn’t last a month. I usually mix it a bit on the strong side also. Any one have recommendations?

When I was a kid we used to spray with diesel once or twice a year but just in a small area. It would kill everything and then decompose and become fertiliser. It might save you a few bucks and you're not dealing with toxic chemicals.

I'd reconsider mixing stronger than recommended. Dead is dead and and you're probably going to use it twice anyway making it stronger only increases cost. YMMV.

50/50 Roundup and 2, 4D will kill anything that doesn't have bark growing on it. Pre mixed works well but it's pricey, mixing your own saves a buck or two. 2, 4D can be potent and dangerous depending on what kind you get. If you want to spray once and forget it for a long, long time, I think Pramitol is still available. That's a long term solution, 5-7 years of nothing at all growing. It can leach through your soil and kill plants in places you don't want to kill them though. You'd need to research it.

Glyphosate is what I used yesterday, same thing as Roundup but way cheaper. I buy it at the farm store for $52 for 2.5 gallons. Mix 2oz per gallon of water and it kills the weeds pretty fast.
I had a lawn service spray my ditches with a sterilant and nothing has grown there for 4 years. It was worth the $50 they charged me.

Latest posts

Back