Sprouted Einkorn Bread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm not going to put up the recipe yet as I'm still playing with this but I'll post a pic of the loaf.

Ordered Einkorn wheat berries. Sprouted them for 11 hours till the sprout nubbin was just peaking out. Then I dried them in the dehydrator for about 30 min. I don't have a grain mill (yet) so I ground to flour in my vitamix blender.

Mistakes.... added too much water. Had to add regular flour to even out dough consistency. When playing with proportions didn't add more salt and it could have used it. Was trying to use bread maker and after playing with proportions it was too big for machine so I had to take out dough and bake on stone. I used an egg wash of 3 egg yolks I had left over from making something else and the straight yolks left a noticeable egg flavor on crust. Next time will address these issues.

Bright side...it's light and delicious with a great nutty flavor and pretty darn healthy as far as bread goes. The experiment continues and any advice on making sprouted bread from these old world wheats is appreciated.

20180129_080049.jpg

No advice here - just appreciation for your post. I've been curious about both einkorn and about sprouted grains in bread, and you just covered both. :) Looking forward to your journey and your recipe (when you feel you have one ready to share).

No advice here - just appreciation for your post. I've been curious about both einkorn and about sprouted grains in bread, and you just covered both. :) Looking forward to your journey and your recipe (when you feel you have one ready to share).

I saw recipes that said to use flour and add some spouted grains. I found others that said to sprout the grains and then grind into flour without adding regular flour and they appealed a little more to me. No recipe said to dry out the sprouted grains in a dehydrator but I thought that would make a better, lighter flour and it turned out well. I don't think that would counteract the benefits of sprouting the bread. Don't know though. Interesting project. I really want a limestone grain grinder. My wife is very sensitive to gluten so I'm hoping I can make a wheat bread she can eat. Wheat is easy to store long term and even the Einkorn is relatively inexpensive to buy in bulk when compared to gluten free flours. And the gluten free bread I've made for her doesn't really do it for me.

very interested in reading more about your journey with Einkorn flour and baking. I have been thinking about buying some (through mail-order), don't know if it is sold in the city yuppie store. We used to use our bread machine a lot to do the mixing, rising, etc., then NH would bake it in the oven. But I think I also have a sensitivity to gluten.
I'm very interested in just a basic bread recipe that doesn't require any tweaking on this end and am interested in hearing about it if you make one without sprouted grains as well. And i don't care if it is for the bread machine or not. NH knows how to bake without the machine. lol I, however, do not give a carp. He is also my pie baker.

very interested in reading more about your journey with Einkorn flour and baking. I have been thinking about buying some (through mail-order), don't know if it is sold in the city yuppie store. We used to use our bread machine a lot to do the mixing, rising, etc., then NH would bake it in the oven. But I think I also have a sensitivity to gluten.
I'm very interested in just a basic bread recipe that doesn't require any tweaking on this end and am interested in hearing about it if you make one without sprouted grains as well. And i don't care if it is for the bread machine or not. NH knows how to bake without the machine. lol I, however, do not give a carp. He is also my pie baker.

I bought mine off Amazon. It was about 10 for 2.5 pounds or something like that. Plenty to experiment with and it sprouted right up so it was good wheat. I did check up on the company before purchase and it was well rated. Bread had a great flavor. I think drying in dehydrator after sprouting helped avoid the "dense bread syndrome" that was a common complaint I found when reading up. Can't wait to try with much less water to start.

So, I tried it again. This time I did not dehydrate the sprouted wheat but ground it into a pulp and used much less water. It worked kind of. I need a proper grain mill to do it that way. My vitamix blender (that I am using as a grinder) had a hard time grinding the pulp down fine enough. There were some unground wheat seeds in the bread. It actually gave a nice texture to the bread but I think I am going to dehydrate from now on. It came out a little dense but not anymore dense than other sprouted breads I have had. Not dense really just moist and solid I guess would be a good description. I want a light, airy bread if I can get there.

On the plus side, my wife is very gluten sensitive and she tried a small piece and did not have an adverse reaction. I should buy a grain mill but we really don't eat that much bread so I don't want to drop $200 on something that won't get that much use. I'd love to find a hand grinder, preferably a limestone one, at a decent price if any of you know where to find one. The experiment continues.

Last edited:
So, I tried it again. This time I did not dehydrate the sprouted wheat but ground it into a pulp and used much less water. It worked kind of. I need a proper grain mill to do it that way. My vitamix blender (that I am using as a grinder) had a hard time grinding the pulp down fine enough. There were some unground wheat seeds in the bread. It actually gave a nice texture to the bread but I think I am going to dehydrate from now on. It came out a little dense but not anymore dense than other sprouted breads I have had. Not dense really just moist and solid I guess would be a good description. I want a light, airy bread if I can get there.

On the plus side, my wife is very gluten sensitive and she tried a small piece and did not have an adverse reaction. I should buy a grain mill but we really don't eat that much bread so I don't want to drop $200 on something that won't get that much use. I'd love to find a hand grinder, preferably a limestone one, at a decent price if any of you know where to find one. The experiment continues.

Keep an eye on shopgoodwill.com. they have grain mills occasionally. I got a Country Living mill a couple years ago for $180 or so including shipping.

Ezekiel bread is interesting but expensive.
I don't have a recipe but I'm thinking I am not going to be sprouting that many different grains either.
Ezekiel 4:9 is the reference for ingredients.

Back