Sqatters Break In Your Home And It Belongs To Them

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This soldier stationed over seas comes home to squatters living i nhis home.

What would you do if you were gone and someoen stole your home and its lrgal?

Reason I bring this up is because out here in the rural areas and in our community we have seen 3 campers with no elecctricity or septic and thinking they may be sqatters.

We haave had sqautters here before but somebody made them leave, but now its mostly old people here with only a few youngr with kids.

In order to be legal in most states the owner has to be aware of the squaters AND they have to pay the taxes. This has to be a constant condition for three years. They may be occupants but they are not the owner. It will take you three months to have them legally removed but it is easy to move yourself in and drive them out without the law involvedLook up "adverse Possession" for your state.

I guess the crooks pay the taxes don't know but I'm sure nobody messes with the IRS.
I know a builder here about 20 yeaars ago bought about 500 acreas divided into lots and built one house at the entrance, a very large home worth lots of money.

He was going to sell the home but some squatters moved into and claimed it before he knew they were here so he lost the whole investment. They still live there now hav a 30 acre pasture, cattle and grow hay. They got a big beautiful home for nothing except taxes.

Either way I'd like to know who these cmpers are who are all wwitin 30 acres of us. And if the owners did give thempermission to stay wonder if they know they can take it after a few years?

Last edited:
Just Down here, you best not leave a property or home unoccupied for more than 10 years.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-can-claim-property-based-adverse-possession-louisiana.html
For example, imagine that Mary and Marty live next to one another in New Orleans. No dividing fence or boundary exists between their yards. Marty builds a shed that is actually on Mary’s side of the property, covering about ten square feet of earth. Marty doesn’t say anything. Marty uses the shed as if it were on his own land. He does this for ten years. Under the rubric described above, Marty can probably establish that he “owns” the land on which he was encroaching. Mary could have stopped Marty by asking, over those ten years, that he remove his shed, or sign a rental agreement. But Louisiana courts won’t let her suddenly eject Marty after having sat on her rights for more than a decade.
After a decade of paying taxes, yes squatters have rights.
Side note: This is important when someone pipes up that they never pay any property taxes at all; their neighbors pay them!:thumbs:
Side note: Anybody, can pay the property taxes, on ANYBODY'S property, at anytime without the owners consent or knowledge.
I've seen me do it.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Here, if you pay the property taxes for seven years you can claim the property. A borough employee researched all the land that was in arrears. Any that was seven years or more in arrears he paid the back taxes, and filed for title on the property. He was pressured into resigning but, being a new millionaire, and not having broken any laws, he transitioned into his new rental business.

In several states anyone can pay delinquent taxes and claim the property after set time. The original owners usually have to be notified and they then they a set time to pay and reclaim their property. AZ is that way. After paying the delinquent taxes you can live on/in the property and use the property but can make no permanent changes for I think three years when it then completely becomes yours.

I think it should go back to the county anf be auctioned offlike all the other IRS repos.

This is state sponsored burglery theft. :mad:. You know how hard some work then have to leave for a few years to go care for a parent or job transfer?To come back anfind our some low life has moved into their home?
I heard this haappend alot in the 1800 to early 1900s.

Last edited:
I think it should go back to the county anf be auctioned offlike all the other IRS repos.

This is state sponsored burglery theft. :mad:. You know how hard some work then have to leave for a few years to go care for a parent or job transfer?To come back anfind our some low life has moved into their home?
I heard this haappend alot in the 1800 to early 1900s.
That is what happens. If no one pays the delinquent taxes then the county takes possession. The county then usually puts it up for auction and they take all the money raised at auction. If the back taxes were $20,000 and the property brings $50,000 then they still keep all the money. The other county landowners then benefit slightly because the county has that extra money.

Here if you buy a home for back taxes, you cannot even go on to the property for one year. Anytime during that year, the original owner may reclaim it by paying you back.

I was told by an apartment manger that is a sqatter spends the night in an apartment, that it would take 45 days to remove them by law. A home is different, some one who is going to be out of town more than a week should have a service to check on the house weekly. Have a friend water plant, leave a car in the drive on different days, their are many ways to make it look like someone is living there.

This has been an issue for a very long time. It is also part of the reason my Plan A is to bug in. Suppose you bug out for whatever reason. When you come back there is a group of squatters enjoying the fruits of your labor. Trying to take your home back will be ugly at best.

I know this has happened to a lot of service members that get deployed, and some states, particularly Kommiefornia, are sympathetic to the squatters. I'm not going anywhere. Any squatter who shows up will realize very quickly they are not welcome.

That is what happens. If no one pays the delinquent taxes then the county takes possession. The county then usually puts it up for auction and they take all the money raised at auction. If the back taxes were $20,000 and the property brings $50,000 then they still keep all the money. The other county landowners then benefit slightly because the county has that extra money.

Here too. You have to be careful though, all leins come with the property, including mortgages.

Here too. You have to be careful though, all leins come with the property, including mortgages.
I'm glad you mentioned mortgages.
Most property taxes and homeowners insurance are paid out of an escrow account attached to a mortgage.
People down the street could not make their mortgage payments and defaulted.
They moved out of the house over 10 months ago.
It still sits empty to this day with the 3 pages of weathered paper taped to the door.
One of them lists the mortgage company and how much is/was owed on it. Nobody will pay that.
Foreclosures do not happen fast. I would make them an offer in it, but nope, no way to do that.
It is stuck in the twilight-zone. Another year and it will start to deteriorate.
The county (parish) can't do anything until it is 2 years behind in unpaid taxes and the mortgage company will own it when the foreclosure finally goes thru.
Having a family of working Mexicans squatting in it would be better than the end it is facing. At least they would keep it up.
I just hate to see what was a perfectly good house, reduced to junk because of politics. :(
Such a waste.
This is the "good side" of squatters.

This soldier stationed over seas comes home to squatters living i nhis home.

What would you do if you were gone and someoen stole your home and its lrgal?

Depending on how many, there would be several new 6X4 flower beds in the back yard the next day.
Hydrogen peroxide destroys the evidence of many sins and temper outbursts.

Latest posts

Back