Squirrel season is upon us.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
Got 3,should've been 5 though.

ddaDShE.jpg

Tree rats.

We've got aggressive black squirrels invading, so I've declare war against them and have an alliance with the red squirrels...for now.
All squirrels are fair game for me,even ground squirrel like things such as chipmunks,only I trap them.

FRIED? I NEVER. Now you're freaking me out.
Maybe you're that biker dude I saw in Ocean City Maryland 42 years ago who had an earring made out of a squirrel tail?
Fried is how I do it too,only way I've had it,and I'm not southern lol. I'll make it and whatever else I decide to put with it,if anything,I don't have a certain set of sides. I don't use seasoning either,that would ruin the taste ;).

@timmie . our dear @squirrelhunter fries his squirrels! How do you prepare yours for eating?

I ask because if, you know, worse comes to worse, there are plenty here, in the backyard, trees, on the fence, running from our dog, flying through the air as they jump to escape (no, they're not flying squirrels, and they are not launched squirrels either, not yet).

That's 1 way of doing it but to me it's the hard way,I cut through the bone in it's tail where it fastens to the rear and then a slit down both back legs and step on the tail and pull on the back legs. I usually have to cut around the belly side a little to finish cutting it all the way around and then finish pulling on it's "pants" whole stepping on the tail again. It's not hard. I've seen YouTube videos of the way I do it but I'd have to look it up again.
P.S. just be careful you don't cut all the way through the tail,once you're through the bone,quit so there's still some skin holding it on toward the spine side.

Last edited:
Hubby and his family ate squirrels his mama cooked what they called squirrel perlow, had rice, sausage, onions and squirrel in in.
Nothing against whatever anyone eats but I was never hungry at their house. I never knew what was in the menu.
He said when he was a kid he would hunt birds mostly doves clean them and his mama would cook em for him.
He also never forgot his parents killing his pet pig and after they ate asking how did Arnald taste. He said he loved that pig like his dog and pig went everywhere with him.
I had a goat she got butchered by neighbors who stole her in Stone Mountain . She even chased the car when I was in it and followed me everywhere.Mama ask if they' seen her and then saw her remains told me to get back in the car. She told them ever see any of you on my property and I'll shoot first ask questions later. real good with a 38 S&W. Never left her side.

I've eaten all sorts of wild game and a lot I haven't tried that others have. While growing up we raised pheasants and quail for awhile to release and also raised rabbits and a wild turkey to eat. If they're raised knowing in the beginning they'll be eaten later I have no problem with it but if they're actually pets I can't find myself eating it. I've killed a few of our ducks and geese for different reasons and people just can't believe I didn't eat them and that I just buried them with the other pets we've had. I need to try and change my thinking but even if it is a duck,rabbit,goose,squirrel or maybe a cow,if it was a pet it's hard for me to think about eating it. Guess I'm just getting soft hearted in my old age :LOL:

I eat them all coons armadillo possums squirrel Bob cats if it's meat and taste good I will eat it all but brains to many diseases come from eating brains.

My grandmother made the best squirrel dumplings I've ever had, just like chicken n dumplings but with squirrel.

My grandfathers favorite treat was squirrel brains scrambled with eggs... he loved those. I never had them though.

Mama didn't eat squirrel that I know of but she did eat and serve us brains and eggs. Brains were in a can and we thought they were sausage till I was old enough to read and saw it was pig brains. Never ate them again even though it cost me some stripes from the switch.
She also would eat pickled pigs feet. They were in a jar. She was a city slicker when she bought the 100 acres in Stone Mountain Ga.. She went total gun happy always practicing with her guns. Plus it was the age of the lady gun slingers ,Calamity Jane, Annie Oakley, etc,etc,etc,.I'm sure HollyHood had something to do with it, plus living out there alone with us kids the middle of the woods.

My grandmother made the best squirrel dumplings I've ever had, just like chicken n dumplings but with squirrel.

My grandfathers favorite treat was squirrel brains scrambled with eggs... he loved those. I never had them though.
I've heard quite a few say they ate the brains and that they were real good but I don't know how easy getting them out would be so I never tried.

Latest posts

Back