Stain Removal Tips

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Got Stains? Laundry Cheat Sheet

Armpit Stains
1 Tsp Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Blue original)
1-2 Tsp Baking Soda
2-3 Tsp Peroxide
Apply to stain with toothbrush and work it in to the stain.Let sit for a few hours and then wash as usual.

Blood Stains
Soak the stained item in COLD water, then apply equal amount of ammonia and water directly on the stain and let it sit. Wash.

INK
Massage aerosol Hairspray to ink stain and then run under cold water.Repeat intil gone

Antiperspirant Stains
1/2 Tsp Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Blue original)
Several drops of Vinegar
1/2 Cup of Water
Apply to stain with a rag and let sit for a few minutes,rinse with water and blot dry.

Gum
Freeze the gum by applying ICE and then the gum will break off in pieces.

Makeup Stains
Use a pretreat spot remover. Let sit a few minutes. If that does not work the try rubbing in Alcohol and then wash.

Red Wine
Apply white wine to stain if you have it and then sprinkle salt. It should take the stain out
or
Blot up the excess red wine
Presoak the stain in a solution of 1 quart warm water and 1/2 teaspoon Dawn liquid detergent and let stand for 15 minutes.
Rinse with water and apply area with rubbing alcohol.
Rinse again with water and allow to dry.

Coffee
2 Cups Cold Water
1 Tsp. Vinegar
Apply mixture to stain and let sit for a few minutes.Wash as normal

Chocolate Stain Remover
Work a pretreater in the fabric from behind.Let sit for a few minutes.Repeat as needed until the stain is gone. Wash as normal.

We use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains. Rinse in cold water then soak in HP and let it sit, then rinse again and wash as normal.
Oxyclean will remove oil and grease stains but it will fade colors. I have a pair of faded blue jeans. They are my farm work pants so it's not a problem.
PVC primer and glue are a problem. I use acetone and a blue or green scrub pad. I have also used acetone and 0000 steel wool on my hands and fingers.
Just don't scrub too hard. :)
Citric acid to remove hard water stains on windows.

Last edited:
Got Stains? Laundry Cheat Sheet

Armpit Stains
1 Tsp Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Blue original)
1-2 Tsp Baking Soda
2-3 Tsp Peroxide
Apply to stain with toothbrush and work it in to the stain.Let sit for a few hours and then wash as usual.

Blood Stains
Soak the stained item in COLD water, then apply equal amount of ammonia and water directly on the stain and let it sit. Wash.

INK
Massage aerosol Hairspray to ink stain and then run under cold water.Repeat intil gone

Antiperspirant Stains
1/2 Tsp Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Blue original)
Several drops of Vinegar
1/2 Cup of Water
Apply to stain with a rag and let sit for a few minutes,rinse with water and blot dry.

Gum
Freeze the gum by applying ICE and then the gum will break off in pieces.

Makeup Stains
Use a pretreat spot remover. Let sit a few minutes. If that does not work the try rubbing in Alcohol and then wash.

Red Wine
Apply white wine to stain if you have it and then sprinkle salt. It should take the stain out
or
Blot up the excess red wine
Presoak the stain in a solution of 1 quart warm water and 1/2 teaspoon Dawn liquid detergent and let stand for 15 minutes.
Rinse with water and apply area with rubbing alcohol.
Rinse again with water and allow to dry.

Coffee
2 Cups Cold Water
1 Tsp. Vinegar

Chocolate Stain Remover
Work a pretreater in the fabric from behind.Let sit for a few minutes.Repeat as needed until the stain is gone. Wash as normal.
The armpit stain formula is also my grout cleaning formula👍😁

I usually just use the blue Dawn dish soap. Most 50/50 or cotton fabric (on my clothes) is stain resistant and the only think I haven't been able to remove is wood stain and oil based paint on a couple old Tshirts. But I didn't bother trying any other chemicals on them because they are work shirts I wear for jobs like painting or staining and not the good shirts. Grease, oil, tree sap, blood, and even the red dirt stains all come out with Dawn dish soap and a run through the wash machine.

I usually just use the blue Dawn dish soap. Most 50/50 or cotton fabric (on my clothes) is stain resistant and the only think I haven't been able to remove is wood stain and oil based paint on a couple old Tshirts. But I didn't bother trying any other chemicals on them because they are work shirts I wear for jobs like painting or staining and not the good shirts. Grease, oil, tree sap, blood, and even the red dirt stains all come out with Dawn dish soap and a run through the wash machine.
Dawn is great. I pre wash hubby's mechanic clothes outside by hand with blue dawn!

The biggest challenge for me relative to stains is oil marks. I put Blue Dawn directly on those spots before I wash. Sometimes I let it dry overnight and then wash it. Some stains are so hard for me to get out on 100% cotton.

I only own black T-shirts....
I am 60 years old, I go out to work on the farm & the DW says that shirt is to dark color, it will be hot.
This is true dark is a tiny little bit hotter, but drink & rest often you will be fine.
She never worries about stains, because I have holes in work shirts & stains in work shirts.
I will dress up for dinner or friends or church, but work is for work clothes.
As for good clothes, DW removes stains or the clothes, I do not remove stains so I need this tread.
I do use dry cleaners from time to time.

Way back when I worked as a mechanic, I wore a coffee brow uniform, the they change to white, looked like a milkman or ice cream man. No problem with grease & oil, the cleaners used very hot water & strong soap. They replaced anything ripped or stained, so I never had to remove the stains.
Prewash with dawn is hard work.

Coffee
2 Cups Cold Water
1 Tsp. Vinegar
I have a light pink t shirt that I dripped coffee on. Coffee is a serious stainer. I used some vinegar on the stain, and since I use cream in my coffee, then I put some Dawn on the spot. When I took the shirt from the dryer, I could not see the stain.

I have a light pink t shirt that I dripped coffee on. Coffee is a serious stainer. I used some vinegar on the stain, and since I use cream in my coffee, then I put some Dawn on the spot. When I took the shirt from the dryer, I could not see the stain.
Thanks for the post! Hubby has daily coffee stains, says his cup has a hole in it🙄☕

Thanks for the post! Hubby has daily coffee stains, says his cup has a hole in it🙄☕
I can relate. I have had many coffee stains over the years, but checked on what to do for coffee. I think this one will stick in my brain. I do have vinegar for laundry, but have often used it with baking soda for removing odors.

I can relate. I have had many coffee stains over the years, but checked on what to do for coffee. I think this one will stick in my brain. I do have vinegar for laundry, but have often used it with baking soda for removing odors.
One of my older ladies I clean for also has a hole in her coffee cup, she uses hydrogen peroxide on her coffee stains. I've found that works on fresh ones, but not the hubby's " wore this shirt all day, must have spilled coffee on it" stains😀

Latest posts

Back