Stand pipe won't drain....any fixes that don't involve a backhoe?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Previous in this thread @Aerindel. indicated that did not work. I am left guessing that the hydrant isn't draining, backing up, rising above the frost line.

So I don't see a solution that doesn't involve digging.

My 2 cents

Ben
But then again ... I carry a shovel in my jeep.

:rolleyes:

Ben

Pressured to 250 psi....no luck blowing out the drain. I could go as high as 4500 psi....but I think that would be counter productive.

I've taken up a new long term hobby. I figure I'll be done by march.

IMG_6087.jpeg

I'm with Hashbrown on this.

When you pull the handle (turn water on) up a rubber blocks the drain hole. When the handle is down (water off) the rubber moves to unblock the drain hole. Since 250 PSI of air didn't work the drain hole is blocked internaly.

So how did this all wash out, or did it?

Ground has been frozen, snow covered etc since I last posted, so I haven't touched the hole. When I have to fill up about once a month, I just take my blow torch to the pipe until it thaws out.

I wasn't kidding when I said I figured I wouldn't get it fixed until march.

Hello

If you have a frost free stand pipe for a hose bib that will not drain the problem is the ground around the drain hole
Questions
Is the drain on the stand pipe above or below frost line?
Does the drain hole have a bed of gravel surrounding it? A minimum of 12” in all directions?

If the drain hole is above frost line then wrap a snow melt cable around the gravel and drain hole. Control cable with a solar panel set up

To thaw a steel/galvinised/copper pipe
If you have a welding machine hook the Leeds up on the pipe and turn on welding machine. Area between Leeds will melt

Okay, I'll bite, behold, the majesty...:

View attachment 105244
Thanks, I wanted to see if the hose bib had an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed, which it does not look like it does. They will keep a frost proof hose bib from draining by cutting off the vent

Put your finger on a straw , pull the straw out of the glass and the water stays in the straw . No vent. Move your finger snd it drains. Vent

Thanks, I wanted to see if the hose bib had an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed, which it does not look like it does. They will keep a frost proof hose bib from draining by cutting off the vent

Put your finger on a straw , pull the straw out of the glass and the water stays in the straw . No vent. Move your finger snd it drains. Vent

Yeah.....there is no finger on the straw...because that faucet itself lets air in...

Something has obviously clogged up the drain hole underground. My theory is that a piece of the rubber gasket in the valve broke off and got jammed in it, but I will find out whenever it stops being winter and I can finish digging it up.

Damn Fire! :rolleyes: Too bad we're not 'closer', I'd be up with Boots on / shovel in a jiff. :cool: Godspeed to the 'find'...

jd
What I really need is a Vietnam vet...from the other side. One of those tunnel rat guys I can send head first down a 8' vertical hole.

What I really need is a Vietnam vet...from the other side. One of those tunnel rat guys I can send head first down a 8' vertical hole.

Either of my Sons would be All-In on that task, Lol.. This was the Backyard my Boys grew up in.. (well, One side of it..) We called these 'The Tunnels'..

Teh-Tunnelz.jpg
:cool:

..And, the Other-side of the yard was about 60-70' of the Same long 'reedy' bush, and in the Summer, when the foliage was flush, you could Not 'see' In there at All - they Truly became 'tunnels', so..

..They were the setting for All-manner of 'holding-up-Dinner / Late-nite Hide & Seek-sessions' / playing 'Army Crawl' / 'Dragon-chase' (keeping something-something with Peanut Butter on it away from the Dog 🤣 etc, etc - Hundreds of Hours of fun, so.. Yah, they'd - Both - 'dive for ya'.. 👍

Too bad we can't 'fold space'... Yet.. ;)

jd

Well, got it fixed. A year later.

Turns out my suspicion was correct. Part of the old plunger had detached and was still stuck down in the valve. It let water flow past it, but it was blocking the drain hole.

IF I HAD KNOWN, I could have attached a sharp screw, to the end of a long rod, and probably fished it out.

For the new installation, I put the new standpipe, inside a dry well so If needed, I can unscrew it and pull the whole thing out.

IMG_6986.jpeg
IMG_6987.jpeg
IMG_6984.jpeg

If you know exactly where the pipes run you can take a piece of rebar and drive down beside the stand pipe move it around and pull it up to get a place for the water to go when you turn it off if it is sealed at the bottom you will eventually have to dig it up though. it will also give you a better chance of blowing it clear with the air.

Old post. didn't check the date of the last entry! look before you leap!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back