Starting a Quilt for my bed finally

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
View attachment 2208 I finished up a crocheting project this morning along with some mending I had to get done. By this afternoon, I cut out my first block and got in sewn together. Plan is to make a total of 13 blocks of different designs and then piecing together adding in an additional pattern, but more muted.

These are the fabric choices. Will be making two blocks of each row of colors. The oddball will be whatever I have leftover.
IMG_20180108_162949_hdr.jpg
Kinda super excited about this one, maybe cause it for us, but if all goes well next month, we maybe expecting twin grand babies in 9 months. Eggs have been harvested and fertilized, but moms hormones are too high for implant right now. Anyhow, if that does happen, I'll be happy to put this one away and start on grandbaby quilts :).

The talent to create things like this amazes me. Even if my hands would allow for that kind of close work my brain is just not that artistic.

This will be my 4th. . . still have so much to learn though. So far I've only done for grandkids. Never kept one that I've done before. Normally I just 'quilt' around the shape, but last grandbaby quilt I did some actual quilting and found I enjoyed it so really branching out on this one.

IMG_20180109_173738_burst_02.jpg This is the square I got done after work yesterday. . . and I'll tell ya. . . diamonds are not always a girls best friend! I did a lot of ripping and resewing on this one and I am still not happy with it, but I needed to walk away from it and I will come back to it later.

IMG_20180110_185616_hdr.jpg This was what I got done today before going with hunny to his doctor appointment. I was really nervous, but apparently pinwheels are my thing! I did watch a video that was posted about the shortcut on the flying geese and the half block which really helped.

This will be the quilt top, just a 65" square right now, but I need to add on a 16" boarder to go all the way around to fit my queen sized bed. I am working with my leftover fabrics and thought I would do log cabin blocks with the white as the main 16" strip. Then have the white on the quilt top to use that as the solid boarder around, if that makes sense? I really wish I would have gone with more of a beige than the eggshell white, but I can live with it :).
IMG_20180121_141841_hdr.jpg

A few years ago an acquaintance was getting rid of fabric and quilting scraps. I volunteered to rescue it. There were various red and pink print triangles cut out for a quilt and I put a single size together for one of my girls. I had never done one with such small pieces, but I struggled through it.
I promised other daughter a quilt and I haven't worked on it in a few months. She picked out a few different blocks and fabrics she wanted. I end up messing up in the cutting size or something! Thinking about making same blocks in different colors, the easier ones.
I hope I get it done for her before another year passes by. Something so simple, you'd think I could find the time...everything is packed away for now as we are most likely moving in the next month or so. :(

A few years ago an acquaintance was getting rid of fabric and quilting scraps. I volunteered to rescue it. There were various red and pink print triangles cut out for a quilt and I put a single size together for one of my girls. I had never done one with such small pieces, but I struggled through it.
I promised other daughter a quilt and I haven't worked on it in a few months. She picked out a few different blocks and fabrics she wanted. I end up messing up in the cutting size or something! Thinking about making same blocks in different colors, the easier ones.
I hope I get it done for her before another year passes by. Something so simple, you'd think I could find the time...everything is packed away for now as we are most likely moving in the next month or so. :(
I'm still working on Christmas Pineapple quilts, 3 D Dragon Quilt for oldest son for his Gram's Thread project.

I can't tell you how many times I messed up with cutting. It hard when you see a block you like and try to copy it without having cutting dimensions. There is one site I go to that is www.cachuilters.com. I try to find the same size block that i want along with the number of blocks in the main block (hope that makes sense). Then look for something similar to what I want to get that particular measurement.

Sounds like you have a full plate right now with the upcoming move. You'll get around to it one day and your daughter is going to love it. . especially cause it was made with love from her momma. ;)

The talent to create things like this amazes me. Even if my hands would allow for that kind of close work my brain is just not that artistic.
I’m with you here. I can knit and crochet but I don’t have the finesse for quilting.
This will be the quilt top, just a 65" square right now, but I need to add on a 16" boarder to go all the way around to fit my queen sized bed. I am working with my leftover fabrics and thought I would do log cabin blocks with the white as the main 16" strip. Then have the white on the quilt top to use that as the solid boarder around, if that makes sense? I really wish I would have gone with more of a beige than the eggshell white, but I can live with it :).View attachment 3018
Beautiful. It looks so perfect.

My sister makes beautiful quilts. I don’t have the patience.

IMG_20180209_153157_hdr.jpg
This is the boarder I have been working on to go around the main quilt top using leftover material I had on hand, although I did have to get another couple yards of the eggshell which was the cheapest of the fabrics plus 50% at JoAnn's. Apparently I needed to practise on the circlely thingyies around the log cabin blocks. I have 20 total to do with three done, sure hope I get better. Still trying to decide what I am doing with the red center. I'll probably just stitch around cause there is a lot going on there already.

So now that I post this pic, I am seeing where the pups have hidden their orange piggy squeak toy. . .

Finally done!! Next big project is getting the garden in, but since it will be raining tomorrow and I was just gifted a loom that is what I'll be playing with. My friend who passed was currently working on a scarf, so I really want to finish that project for her. I do want to eventually make some off white plain shams to go with it with maybe some french knoting on them, vut that can wait for now. One thibg at a time.
IMG_20180224_213142_hdr.jpg

Did you use quilt batting? I used batting in one I made for one of my kids, it was very hard to do!
Some people have suggested using a sheet instead of batting, but I like the way it looks poofy with batting.
I personally would rather use batting.
But have used sheets for customers if that's what they wanted.

Latest posts

Back