starting over

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is one of my stock questions. Has any of the members started over? Just the other day a local had their house burn to the ground. No one was hurt. They had it paid off. Alas no insurance. They had a handy man do some electrical wiring.

In these modern times starting over shouldn't be too difficult. One of the wild cards would be health. Poor health does change everything. I wouldn't want to start over.

I reckon job loss, divorce, forced relocation, a catastrophic event could put some one in the position to start over.

thoughts/

We have been fortunate that we have only had to move about 6 times in 36 years, but I have found the old saying that 3 moves is equal to a burnout to be fairly accurate. When moving any distance over 100 miles you will lose your support network that may have taken years to establish. I mark each move by what gets broken or what I had to leave behind, my Oxy tanks, my engine hoist and stand... and I am sure the wife has a similar list.

As you get older it gets harder and harder to make this kind of change, many very old folks will die shortly after making a move or going to a retirement community. Part of that comes from not knowing the new place, if you are in a place for 20 years you know all the trip hazards (you found them years ago), in a new place you find them when you are laying on the floor wondering what the heck just happened. The wife has has 2 major falls, both were away from our home.

We moved to where we are 5 months ago. Where we were previously, we were there 22 years. We have all our stuff, but lots of it is not unpacked and set up. Mostly because the placed we moved to is alot smaller for the main house, but we also have lots more land and good outbuildings. We sold all our turkeys, ducks, and chickens when we left. We left a good sized producing garden was was almost ready to start harvesting. Where we are is a better place to be, but it's going to take some time. We have an add on still being worked on that should of been completed 2 months ago, so we're pretty cramped. I'll be growing in a new state come spring. We have to start all over with animals. But....you're knowledge goes with you, and so does the excitement about a new place.

We moved 800 miles 4 years ago. We lived I our old place for 30 years. We did do a major purging of stuff. What we really miss is the lifetime of connections. We knew a guy that had heavy equipment. Had friends at the auto parts store. Knew several good mechanics and the list goes on. Now we sometimes have trouble getting a reliable person to what the animals for a week. It has still been worth it. Moving from the Mojave desert to one of the most fertile areas in the US has been our best prep.

Why would there be no insurance just because it was paid off? Ours is paid off and we make sure we have coverage.

We've been here 35 years and we're not going anywhere. There is no reason to just pick up and move for us.

We started over in July 2018. I was 73 and Dawn 62; we moved from a gated suburban neighborhood in Mesa -- a suburb of Phoenix -- to a 1.6 acre mini farm with a 100-year-old farmhouse in Twin Falls County, Idaho. We lost friends and colleagues, but we wanted to try a real homestead life before the Reaper came by. We were lucky in that our are neighbors (between a half-mile and a mile away on the average) are friendly and helpful.

We miss the advantages of a big city (good restaurants and stores, concerts, galleries, a big library) but the rural life more than makes up for it. Probably about 70 percent of the folks here in southeastern Idaho go to the same church (we don't) but we haven't seen any friction that way.

I didn't realize that being retired on a little farm was such hard work, especially with seven goats and 20+ hens, not to consider all the fix-it chores that come with a house over a century old. It's worth it, though, and we're glad we moved, even though it meant starting over.

If you owe a mortgage then you have to have insurance, required by the mortgage company. If your place is paid off, it is your option to have insurance, partial insurance, or none at all. Our old buildings are not insured, but our farmhouse is. Not worth it to pay insurance on our old buildings.
Missing good restaurants and theatre and all that stuff is laughable for this year, right? Alot of people wouldn't move to the country because of missing the city culture. But the city culture has been closed down for nearly a year, and not likely to open up anytime soon. So if there's no culture in the city that's open, it turns that city into not a very nice place to be. I know in NM, state parks and campgrounds even shut, because after all, it's unhealthy to do those things.

My story isn't a total "start over", but...

I lived in my home area for most of my life. I was comfortable there. Good job, lots of family around, got married and had a baby. But then I lost my job and marriage. My ex moved 75 miles away with my daughter. I dealt with that for a few years but enough was enough so I just pulled up and moved to her.

I'm the opposite of most here - I moved from the farm to town. Got a funky little two bedroom downtown apartment 4 blocks from my daughter's school. I did this because of all the travel my job requires, so I wouldn't have to deal with the yard and the snow removal when I was gone. I didn't know a soul in town. Totally isolated. But it was 100% worth it. 10/10 would repeat! I get so much more time with my daughter now. And, I found a church that had several people connected to my family and my hometown. I didn't know any of them ahead of time. That was God stepping in to help, I think...

So, starting over worked out for me. I'm pretty happy here, even if it's not the situation I dreamed of. Not sure what I'll do when my daughter gets grown and leaves town. I may start over again...who knows? ;)

When we moved 6 months after Juju was born we sold our chickens, the dog run and the chicken coop as well as donated 90% of our canned food stores. We were only moving about 20 miles away but we were no longer living as rural and most of it all would not fit in the new house.

We moved again last November and again had to start the food storage over. We are looking to move out of state at the end of our lease November 2022 so we are starting a huge purge. We may even sell off our furniture and anything else that will not fit in a uhaul.

My situation is different than most.
I moved every 18 months.
Army.
Got married, had sons, got divorced, I got sons in divorce.
Got duty station closer to my parents, home I came back to Missouri.
Been here ever since.
Except for few trips compliments of Uncle Sam.
Had major life change in 2009.
Retired in 2012.
Still in Missouri.
You don't collect much when you know you're going to move in 18 months.
So yes, I could do and have done it many times.
You take the best with you when you relocate.

12 times in my life I have moved to a new state. 6 of my moves were over 2000 miles. I’ve worked more than 3 months in several more states. But, I realized long ago I’m a bit different than most folks. An extreme move for me is like the jelly on the biscuit. I loved it, the butterfly’s on the tummy, most importantly the all the challenges it brought.

Between 89 and 96 I lived in 7 states. I could almost do it in my sleep. I knew all the tricks for getting settled quickly while working a new job at the same time. Within 30 days at a new location I knew… best places to eat, best places for my hobbies, the best mechanic, the best electronic/computer shop, best medical care for me.

Also, all the best places to meet new people and establish a new life. I was never afraid or bashful to put myself out there. My rule of thumb… out of 25 new people I’d end up with 1 or 2 good friends. People to have over for dinner or hang with on a holiday. The quicker I met that many new people the quicker my life would settle into a normal routine.

At the first opportunity when I moved to a new location I’d invite strangers… my new neighbors, coworkers and 1 or 2 food delivery people over for a cook out. I’d spend a couple hundred on burgers, dogs and beers and have them over for 2 or 3 hrs. Through each of those people I’d meet 2 or 3 more. This is how I would quickly find the best food in town or medical care and meet people who would become friends.

Food deliver people are a must invite. They know, the best food in town, which auto shops are the busiest etc. The pizza guy is one of the best sources of info when you move. They know 100’s of businesses and people… a fountain of information. They know an area at street level in a way no other profession does.

Also, out of a dozen people over for a cookout there will always be 2 of 3 duds. People I’d never want in my house again or their friends… Yet another reason to have folks over quickly after a move. Most of my belonging would still be in boxes, those people would never know what I owned and would certainly never be invited back.

Oh! another little trick I learned about money and moving… My moves were almost always paid for by an employer who would send me a check. Even if they weren't I needed a lot of cash quickly. I needed a deposit on a house or apartment, utilities, lots of sundry expenses etc. Cash was always better than checks!

I’d open a new bank account but I’d have the new account checks or checks from my old bank in another state. I’d still have out of state identification all of which made getting cash for writing checks difficult. I once opened a new bank account in a new town. They wanted to sit on my employers check for 8 business days because it and my id were out of state. I needed money then, not in 2 weeks. I called my old bank and spoke to an assistant manager I knew and arranged a federal reserve wire transfer. I fed-exed the check to her overnight. She deposited it the next day and did a federal reserve transfer that night. It cost $18 for fed-ex, $20 for the wire transfer… the next morning I had around $4K in my new account that I could withdraw as cash and pay deposits etc. Keeping accounts open in the town you are leaving always has advantages.

All in all… if the opportunity presented itself tomorrow, I’d go in a heartbeat. I guess I've never lost the desire to see new places and meet new people. I guess that will always be with me.

I've answered this question by randyt before on another forum LOL sorry...the answer is the same:

I've started over twice. The first time doesn't really count because I was very young, and chose to get rid of everything I owned (which was pretty meager) that didn't fit in a suitcase before I left to work aboard the ships.

The second time was 2018 when we left South Africa for Canada. The cost of shipping a container across the world was just prohibitively expensive. So when we stepped out that plane in Halifax there was no cars, no home, no assets of any kind, just a few clothes and our cellphones. I didn't even own a pot or kettle.

For me it was the chance to say "do I really need that?". When we started building on our newly acquired property there have been many chances to decide if all the trappings of our previous life were necessary. Did I need a microwave? No. Did I really need a big flat screen tv? No. Did I even need a hairdryer? No.

Starting over let's you evaluate what's important. Nature is important. Having each other. Having our dogs. Being away from crime in a peaceful soul healing place is important. Keeping up with the Jones's is not.

Just my point of view.

12 times in my life I have moved to a new state. 6 of my moves were over 2000 miles. I’ve worked more than 3 months in several more states. But, I realized long ago I’m a bit different than most folks. An extreme move for me is like the jelly on the biscuit. I loved it, the butterfly’s on the tummy, most importantly the all the challenges it brought.

Between 89 and 96 I lived in 7 states. I could almost do it in my sleep. I knew all the tricks for getting settled quickly while working a new job at the same time. Within 30 days at a new location I knew… best places to eat, best places for my hobbies, the best mechanic, the best electronic/computer shop, best medical care for me.

Also, all the best places to meet new people and establish a new life. I was never afraid or bashful to put myself out there. My rule of thumb… out of 25 new people I’d end up with 1 or 2 good friends. People to have over for dinner or hang with on a holiday. The quicker I met that many new people the quicker my life would settle into a normal routine.

At the first opportunity when I moved to a new location I’d invite strangers… my new neighbors, coworkers and 1 or 2 food delivery people over for a cook out. I’d spend a couple hundred on burgers, dogs and beers and have them over for 2 or 3 hrs. Through each of those people I’d meet 2 or 3 more. This is how I would quickly find the best food in town or medical care and meet people who would become friends.

Food deliver people are a must invite. They know, the best food in town, which auto shops are the busiest etc. The pizza guy is one of the best sources of info when you move. They know 100’s of businesses and people… a fountain of information. They know an area at street level in a way no other profession does.

Also, out of a dozen people over for a cookout there will always be 2 of 3 duds. People I’d never want in my house again or their friends… Yet another reason to have folks over quickly after a move. Most of my belonging would still be in boxes, those people would never know what I owned and would certainly never be invited back.

Oh! another little trick I learned about money and moving… My moves were almost always paid for by an employer who would send me a check. Even if they weren't I needed a lot of cash quickly. I needed a deposit on a house or apartment, utilities, lots of sundry expenses etc. Cash was always better than checks!

I’d open a new bank account but I’d have the new account checks or checks from my old bank in another state. I’d still have out of state identification all of which made getting cash for writing checks difficult. I once opened a new bank account in a new town. They wanted to sit on my employers check for 8 business days because it and my id were out of state. I needed money then, not in 2 weeks. I called my old bank and spoke to an assistant manager I knew and arranged a federal reserve wire transfer. I fed-exed the check to her overnight. She deposited it the next day and did a federal reserve transfer that night. It cost $18 for fed-ex, $20 for the wire transfer… the next morning I had around $4K in my new account that I could withdraw as cash and pay deposits etc. Keeping accounts open in the town you are leaving always has advantages.

All in all… if the opportunity presented itself tomorrow, I’d go in a heartbeat. I guess I've never lost the desire to see new places and meet new people. I guess that will always be with me.
There was a time, I could be packed up and ready to go in 72 hours.
My sons were already taken to their safe spot in Missouri.
Always kept a couple hundred underneath the sole of my jump boots.
Stashed into special carrying places in duffle bags,uniforms.
If possible had native money where I was going, where I left, where I was.
I would go in heart beat if the opportunity presented itself.
But, atlas I don't bounce well anymore.
And I already have quite a bit metal in me.

There was a time, I could be packed up and ready to go in 72 hours.

Always kept a couple hundred underneath the sole of my jump boots.

I would go in heart beat if the opportunity presented itself.

For me it was the chance to say "do I really need that?".

Starting over let's you evaluate what's important.

Jimmy Carter was my introduction to adult life... Twice in 3 years I had great paying jobs, careers could be built at either place. Twice in 3 years I ended up broke and homeless thanks to Jimmy's economy.

Then came 6 years in the military... They refined my view of what was necessary and not to fear extreme moves. And how to move across the country with a few hours notice. Adapt and over come applied whether I was wearing jeans or a uniform.

By the time the 90's got here I was a professional rolling stone! Ready and willing to go anywhere in a blink and thanks to Jimmy, halfway expecting it.

Last edited:
This last move we made was a pain in the butt. During a pandemic from a closed state, so I couldn't really get rid of stuff. The company wasn't moving us, we paid for it ourselves. 6 pods was not cheap, one whole pod full of food. Thought my cousins who helped unload we're going to have a heart attack when they saw that. 109 degrees out....2 dogs, 3 grandkids, a parrot, husband on a walker and needing assistance, 11 hr drive. The only saving grace was that we owned our place already for 5 yrs and beds and immediate necessities were set up. Pain in the butt, but so glad it's done.
Hey, Clem....she just had a momentous move....

As an Air Force brat we moved every 2 years or so until my father retired and then I went in the Navy. Got out got married and then the ex threw me and my son out along with credit cards and loans meaning I owed $5 more a month than I made.

Rented a room from my parents until I paid off all of my debt and maximized my savings. Purchased my grandfather house as a handyman special. Worked as much overtime as I could to fund the remodel as I went.

The Princess moved in and saved all of her rent money so we were able to purchase the other half of the duplex from my uncle's estate. Fixed it up while working my way through college and rented it out to my freind.
He has moved out to live in the house he inherited from his mother. We took over that side since The Princess needed more storage.

Some for myself I have had enough of starting over for my life. The only move I see is moving our bedroom to the same floor as the kitchen to avoid climbing stairs.

Ben

Wife and I made three moves since we were married in 1974, from an apartment in west Denver to 8,000' in the mountains west of Denver, from there to the panhandle of Texas in a little town of White Deer and from there to a bare piece of property here in S.W. Oregon where we built our small home. We did most of the work without help, even carried sand and gravel in 5 gallon pickle buckets to the top of our property to build a 1,100 gallon cistern for our gravity flow water system, dug a 460' trench from the cistern to the spring site to bury 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe to keep it from freezing. In looking at all the things I've done, especially when I had to go up to the spring site and drop the the spring collector box 14" deeper, because a drop in the spring water level, I came to the conclusion of, how the hell did I do all that stuff as well as thinking I wore my wife out in the process. Move again, I think I'd rather be shot in the head, especially after building the solar array frame in 2019, lifting 90 pound sacks of ready mix concrete to build the anchors made me wonder how I was able to lift a 94 pound sack of cement on my shoulder and carry it up to the cistern site at the top of our property. Even now, due to being 78 years on this planet, I've given up on any idea of selling everything and buying a sailboat and sailing to somewhere we can just pay a dock fee and live on the boat. To me any move is like starting all over again. Wife and I have come to the conclusion that God put us here and this is probably the last place we'll ever live, neither of us could survive another move. Moving is for far younger people than us.

Starting over prepping is tough. I got everything stolen about 3 months ago. Not only did they steal all my ammo, they destroyed all of my food stores. I have nothing! I am retired on disability and don't make much. I have been trying to figure out a way to get going again. Not only did they steal absolutely everything from me, they destroyed my bug out home. My trailer that I have there was totally destroyed. I can barley see the floor in the house. Everything they didn't steal, they threw all over the place.
I am trying hard to get things done very quickly in case they put his ass in office. Working on food and growing things.

When it comes to food. my brother in law lives at a "old folks home" It's a home where older folks live but they need no assistance. Anyhoo they get all these commodity food and they want none of it. He brings us bags of rice, beans, powdered milk, canned foods etc etc. I mean a lot of it. It's like good golly there is a lot of it

My first move was from the bush to what I thought was a colossal city. Everything I owned fit in a grocery bag and I was wearing the only clothes I had. Culture shock almost did me in. Starting over was a severe mental exercise.

The second move, I had a baby and his stuff, but it all fit in a car and it was a 12 hour drive to another province.

The third move was 12 years later. Three kids, their stuff and some basic furniture. It was a company move to Venezuela and our belongings fit in 3/4 of a 20 ft. Container.

The fourth move two years later, Venezuela to Egypt. Some souvenirs added and a full 20 ft. Container was needed.

The fifth move, six years later, Egypt to Houston TX. One full 40 ft container. (Company pays the moves) lots of souvenirs from all over Europe, plus one horse. BIL had an import/export business in China and sent us a fully loaded 20 ft container of high end Chinese bits and pieces; not the stuff of wally world fame.

The sixth move two years later Houston TX to Jakarta one 40 ft and one 20 ft container.

The seventh move Jakarta to Eastern Canada to a farm. Built up the farm and never unpacked half of the stuff. It was stored in the out buildings.

The eighth move, across Canada. Covid restrictions in place, so disposing of any thing was not possible. Two 40 ft containers plus one 53 foot transport truck and one horse trailer. This time, no company to handle it and pay the bills. I had to buy the containers and pack every thing myself. So very thankful I never unpacked half of the last move. It was a seven day drive.

Now, I am having to unload/unpack all of it, along with the contents of an entire farm. The school can handle most every thing but the farm stuff. There aren't any out buildings other then the chicken coop and small barn? Good thing I have two 40 ft shipping containers.

I don't think I have ever started over with the physical stuff and locations are just that, locations. The process is pretty much the same where ever one goes. I am not a social butter fly, I am an odd duck and the odd man out at the best of times, so I never really started over in that department either. Its more like I never got started in the first place. Stuff happened and I just happened to be in the way of it.

My first move was from the bush to what I thought was a colossal city. Everything I owned fit in a grocery bag and I was wearing the only clothes I had. Culture shock almost did me in. Starting over was a severe mental exercise.

The second move, I had a baby and his stuff, but it all fit in a car and it was a 12 hour drive to another province.

The third move was 12 years later. Three kids, their stuff and some basic furniture. It was a company move to Venezuela and our belongings fit in 3/4 of a 20 ft. Container.

The fourth move two years later, Venezuela to Egypt. Some souvenirs added and a full 20 ft. Container was needed.

The fifth move, six years later, Egypt to Houston TX. One full 40 ft container. (Company pays the moves) lots of souvenirs from all over Europe, plus one horse. BIL had an import/export business in China and sent us a fully loaded 20 ft container of high end Chinese bits and pieces; not the stuff of wally world fame.

The sixth move two years later Houston TX to Jakarta one 40 ft and one 20 ft container.

The seventh move Jakarta to Eastern Canada to a farm. Built up the farm and never unpacked half of the stuff. It was stored in the out buildings.

The eighth move, across Canada. Covid restrictions in place, so disposing of any thing was not possible. Two 40 ft containers plus one 53 foot transport truck and one horse trailer. This time, no company to handle it and pay the bills. I had to buy the containers and pack every thing myself. So very thankful I never unpacked half of the last move. It was a seven day drive.

Now, I am having to unload/unpack all of it, along with the contents of an entire farm. The school can handle most every thing but the farm stuff. There aren't any out buildings other then the chicken coop and small barn? Good thing I have two 40 ft shipping containers.

I don't think I have ever started over with the physical stuff and locations are just that, locations. The process is pretty much the same where ever one goes. I am not a social butter fly, I am an odd duck and the odd man out at the best of times, so I never really started over in that department either. Its more like I never got started in the first place. Stuff happened and I just happened to be in the way of it.
Excellent and exciting story there Clem

May God grant you peace and a chance to chill.

Ben

Starting over I've done a handful of times. First time after a 3 year disaster of a marriage. The couple years later changed states to go to school. 2 years later back to Tn, after 3 moves we found our property, built a house and been here for last 26 years. We like it ok and reasonably conveinet for work. We have discussed and may buy property in the mountains and boonies near or after retirement. May stay here. We'll see. I'd hate to move all our stuff and start over with orchard, berries, grapes, buildings etc. But I'd love to be on a place more remote and away from crowds.

When I turned 30 I was in the position that I could retire. I had everything that most folks dream about I had money, the lake house, a new Benz. drag cars, motorcycles, investments, European vacations I had everything except a good partner. I worked 7 days a week from dawn til dusk and thats all I had. I was raised in a Christian family and you didn't divorce. I changed my stars, today I have everything I ever dreamed of a loving wife a good boy of my own. I bet the farm most every day but I'm happier than I have ever been in my life! Starting over has not been easy but this broke ass old land developer is one of the happiest guys you will ever meet!

I guess by these standards I have been pretty lucky. We have moved a few times, but all within the same town. I really didn't start prepping until we were in our current house, so we weren't moving supplies.

I would say the advantage we would have if we had to start over, would be knowledge. We would know where to start, and how to prioritize. We would have a better understanding of what we really need, even how to do it on a limited budget. I wouldn't want to start over, but if I did I would know how. I wouldn't be scratching my head wondering where to start.

We moved 800 miles 4 years ago. We lived I our old place for 30 years. We did do a major purging of stuff. What we really miss is the lifetime of connections. We knew a guy that had heavy equipment. Had friends at the auto parts store. Knew several good mechanics and the list goes on. Now we sometimes have trouble getting a reliable person to what the animals for a week. It has still been worth it. Moving from the Mojave desert to one of the most fertile areas in the US has been our best prep.
Man, first I thought you had moved to DC because of all the fertilizer around there but then I thought, nah, too toxic.

Latest posts

Back